Law review write on/ am I an idiot Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Ihateit

New

Law review write on/ am I an idiot

Post by Ihateit » Wed May 13, 2015 7:36 pm

I have a 3.3 at low t-14. I have no interest in actually participating in law review, but people say it is worth it to try. Problem is, work for me already started and since I am being paid 2k/wk I dont want to take the time off. Am I being an idiot to skip the law review write on, work the two extra weeks at my job which is in my target market (i mention this becuase I am trying to justify it to myself as an extra two weeks of networking) and just do a write on for secondary journals? I just figure that my grades arent good enough to get me on, my writing is decent, and I have a small chance. So take the money and do a secondary?

bearsfan23

Gold

Re: Law review write on/ am I an idiot

Post by bearsfan23 » Wed May 13, 2015 7:43 pm

I'd either suck it up and do the LR write on or otherwise avoid a journal at all.

Sounds like your about median, so LR might be worth the boost. I think the general consensus on TLS is that secondary journals aren't worth the time/effort, especially since it sounds like you don't want to be on a journal at all

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed May 13, 2015 7:46 pm

Secondary journals are worthwhile if in an area of strong interest. For example, criminal law journal for those targeting that field, environmental law journals for those wishing to practice in this area, etc.

Ihateit

New

Post by Ihateit » Wed May 13, 2015 7:48 pm

Just to add some context to the secondary journal thing; I want to do corporate law, and the journal is a entrepreneur and business law journal.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Wed May 13, 2015 7:58 pm

You should easily be able to do the write on and work simultaneously.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 15, 2015 4:21 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:You should easily be able to do the write on and work simultaneously.
True, but it probably won't a good enough product to overcome OPs grades and write onto LR. The people who write on to law review typically capitalize on the short amount of time they have the materials. There was definitely a strong correlation between effort/time commitment and write-on success at my school at least; and you can't really do that as a summer associate (which I assume OP is if they get $2k/wk).

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Fri May 15, 2015 4:33 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri May 15, 2015 4:44 pm

I wouldn't bother doing any journal. That said, how do you know you want transactional shit?

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Fri May 15, 2015 7:08 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:You should easily be able to do the write on and work simultaneously.
True, but it probably won't a good enough product to overcome OPs grades and write onto LR. The people who write on to law review typically capitalize on the short amount of time they have the materials. There was definitely a strong correlation between effort/time commitment and write-on success at my school at least; and you can't really do that as a summer associate (which I assume OP is if they get $2k/wk).
Agreed with all of this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Fri May 15, 2015 9:49 pm

I would do it just because getting on law review is a not insignificant resume item. In fact it's one of the few things from law school besides the name of your school that will follow you your entire career. You can absolutely do it while working, although your question seems to imply that you could take the two weeks off as well. If your main reason for not doing it is the two weeks out a 10+ week summer that you won't be able to "network" I don't think that's a good enough reason to justify not taking a shot at writing on. Of course only you know your writing ability.

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:45 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I wouldn't bother doing any journal. That said, how do you know you want transactional shit?
Meh, for most people I'd agree. However, a 3.3 at a lower T14 is really the type of person who could get some measurable boost from Law Review.

Depends how risk averse OP is

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Fri May 15, 2015 11:43 pm

I don't know how intensive your write on is, but I know that a lot of people are able to do it just working evenings and a weekend or two.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat May 16, 2015 1:11 am

jbagelboy wrote:
I don't really agree with this, or at least, I think it's contingent on what kind of write-on the school has, how much time they give for it, and how much grades matter. I think effort matters for write-on, but I think you can put in that effort while working without too much difficulty in most circumstances.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

grizz20

Bronze

Post by grizz20 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:22 pm

For those who have similar problems as OP, I think it is worth the time to do the write on even if you are working (knew people that did and were happy they did). And as DF stated, it is probably because we are risk-averse pussies.

Zensack

Bronze

Post by Zensack » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:58 pm

My grades suffered enough from the extra workload that I recommend against journal. That goes double if you would have to give up good networking opportunities.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”