Checklist for the Exam Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sam91

Bronze

Checklist for the Exam

Post by sam91 » Tue May 12, 2015 11:16 am

I realize this might be minuscule and a matter of preference but I'm interested to hear if anyone has had success or lack of with either of the two methods.

For K's (closed books) I definitely want a checklist in front of me. I've timed myself and it takes about 2 minutes for me to handwrite it on scrap paper, and about 1 minute to type it. My question is, is the 1 minute convenience worth having to scroll back up to the top of my exam software to view the list? Maybe the neatness on the computer is better? Has the (rushed) scribble on scrap paper ever made someone miss a glaring issue?

Interested to see if anyone has had success/failures with one or the other. I could just be being ridiculous, but I think it could matter.

Zensack

Bronze

Re: Checklist for the Exam

Post by Zensack » Tue May 12, 2015 5:35 pm

I've never written an outline during the exam like this, but I find paper outlines vastly preferable to electronic ones. Spend the extra minute, you'll get it back over the course of however many hours.

sam91

Bronze

Post by sam91 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:39 pm

Zensack wrote:I've never written an outline during the exam like this, but I find paper outlines vastly preferable to electronic ones. Spend the extra minute, you'll get it back over the course of however many hours.
Thanks, man. Im def leaning towards this

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:32 pm

I'm not sure how much you're getting down on paper in 2 minutes, but for practically every traditional law school exam I ever took (long essay, short essays, MC, or mix), I'd have memorized a full page hand-written outline of every element of every cause of action, rule, defense, thingy to remember that had elements, and I'd spend maybe 10 minutes or so writing it out on a sheet of paper. I'd have practiced writting out that thing dozens and dozens of times, so that I could write it from memory without thinking (I also used a bunch of mnemonic devices to memorize elements for different things, usual dirty silly poems I'd recite in my head for hours on end the day before the exam), and I'd always place the same information in the same place on the page (helps to remind you if you've forgotten something, there will be a blank space you know has to be filled with something). Each page was completely full from corner to corner.

Do this, and actually writing the exam becomes mechanical - you don't have to think because everything in your exam will relate to something on that outline. Fantastic for issue spotting too - that outline will list all possible issues, so you know what you need to be looking for. Doing this, and actually managing my time properly (e.g., if you have two long essays and 2.8 hours to write them out (you spent .2 writing your outline), you MOVE ON from essay one at 1.4 hours, even if you stop in the middle of a thought), were the best techniques I used. Remember, exams are points grabs, if a question is worth 1/4 of the total points, never spend more than 1/4 of your time on it. Good luck.

sam91

Bronze

Post by sam91 » Wed May 13, 2015 7:30 pm

Hey just saw this. Thanks for the response. Im just leaving the exam now. The two minute list was a bare bones issue list, which I found helpful. Im sure the 10 minute list probably is even more helpful, however, idk if I woulda had 10 minutes to spare.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”