Exam Stories

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ReasonableReliance

Exam Stories

Postby ReasonableReliance » Mon May 11, 2015 4:37 pm

Hey Guys,

So taking my exam today, I misunderstood the specific wording of the question at hand, but still answered the question likely the same way I would have, and hitting all the general points of emphasis. Do you think a prof would award ZERO points because you didn't clearly answer the question, but yet still argued both sides effectively? Or maybe just dock a few points for misreading? SOS

BVest

Re: Exam Stories

Postby BVest » Mon May 11, 2015 8:04 pm

Only your prof can know, but odds are you will get points. Professors have their own ways of grading, so no one here has any idea what your prof will do, or even quite what you did wrong.

That said, as an example, the rubric that was shared with us by our 1L civ pro prof had 70 possible points for one of three essays in a 3-hour exam; the pretense of the question was that you're a clerk and you have to write a memo with a recommendation to your judge on the Personal Jurisdiction issue for a case before you (with facts laid out). Of those 70 points, only 5 were assigned to "summarize discussion and make recommendation to the judge consistent with your analysis."

ReasonableReliance

Re: Exam Stories

Postby ReasonableReliance » Mon May 11, 2015 8:20 pm

BVest wrote:Only your prof can know, but odds are you will get points. Professors have their own ways of grading, so no one here has any idea what your prof will do, or even quite what you did wrong.

That said, as an example, the rubric that was shared with us by our 1L civ pro prof had 70 possible points for one of three essays in a 3-hour exam; the pretense of the question was that you're a clerk and you have to write a memo with a recommendation to your judge on the Personal Jurisdiction issue for a case before you (with facts laid out). Of those 70 points, only 5 were assigned to "summarize discussion and make recommendation to the judge consistent with your analysis."

Thanks for the response. I'm hoping he had more points allocated to analysis, like you said, and doesnt dock me for missing the stem a little.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”