Taking the patent bar after 1l year?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Tiberius42

Taking the patent bar after 1l year?

Postby Tiberius42 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:34 pm

How much would taking the patent bar this summer help me for jobs next year? I'm working full time paid this summer, but I still sorta want to get it out of the way. On a similar note, I've heard PLI is the end all be all for patent bar prep, but the costs is a pretty big deal. Is there any reason not to just split the cost of the course with someone I know that is taking it as well?

Aureusmons

Re: Taking the patent bar after 1l year?

Postby Aureusmons » Mon May 11, 2015 9:49 pm

Dont bother. Your firm will pay for you to take it if you get hired for pros.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Mon May 11, 2015 10:24 pm

Firms don't really care if you passed or not.

wbaseball4ever

Postby wbaseball4ever » Thu May 21, 2015 3:17 pm

I thought about it, but it didn't seem worth it. You'd have to really kill yourself to study, take and pass it before you start OCI/mass-mailing. Almost every firm I talked to about it said, "well, it can't hurt, but we don't really look at it." I think the overwhelmingly more important thing is that you are PATENT-BAR ELIGIBLE. Then, the firm knows you can take it at any time.

Firms offer summer positions to people who haven't passed the actual bar, because they know that they can/will pass it when the time comes. It's more or less the same for the patent bar. Don't fret.

SFSpartan

Postby SFSpartan » Thu May 21, 2015 3:43 pm

Tiberius42 wrote:How much would taking the patent bar this summer help me for jobs next year? I'm working full time paid this summer, but I still sorta want to get it out of the way. On a similar note, I've heard PLI is the end all be all for patent bar prep, but the costs is a pretty big deal. Is there any reason not to just split the cost of the course with someone I know that is taking it as well?

While the above is correct, there is a counterpoint to the foregoing. I know a couple (and have heard of more) people that passed the patent bar and did pros work at firms during the 2L and (presumably) 3L. They generally made enough money to take out minimal loans and some got class credit with their firms.

Freebot

Postby Freebot » Fri May 22, 2015 8:34 pm

I passed the patent bar without studying but I work as a Patent Examiner. Passing it could help show commitment to patent law if you wanted to forgo law school for now and pursue a career as a patent agent. However, actually going to law and doing non-terribly probably achieves the same objective. OTOH, passing it early on means you have one less thing to stress over down the road. Frankly, I'm quite relieved to have it out of the way.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”