Genuine advice about dropping out? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Oopsthereitis

New

Genuine advice about dropping out?

Post by Oopsthereitis » Wed May 06, 2015 6:25 pm

Sup guys. Looking for hard reality advice.

1L here, wrapping up the last final. I'm at the bottom of the class. 2.9 GPA on a 3.3 curve at a t30. I never had a biglaw or bust mentality, but I do not want to end up with crippling debt and no job. I definitely had clarity when I saw through lots of the smokes and mirrors in terms of how to take exams, but definitely just fucked up come game day come second semester around. Anyway, long story short. Here are pros cons

Pros:
- I'm very social
- Have scholarships so looking at 100k debt (is this even a pro? lol)
- URM

Cons:
- grades suck
- have no in roads

No alternative career path and I'd be looking at 100k debt from law school after graduating and I have about 30k debt UG. If I leave this year I'm looking at 66k debt total. Also 66k to remain in. I do desire to be a lawyer but not at the cost of being jobless or making 40-50k (excluding big gov). Chime in.

- Depressed 1L
Last edited by Oopsthereitis on Wed May 06, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

californiauser

Silver

Re: Genuine advice about dropping out?

Post by californiauser » Wed May 06, 2015 7:02 pm

school range?

Arboreal

New

Post by Arboreal » Wed May 06, 2015 9:38 pm

Oopsthereitis wrote:Sup guys. Looking for hard reality advice.

1L here, wrapping up the last final. I'm at the bottom of the class. 2.9 GPA on a 3.3 curve at a t30. I never had a biglaw or bust mentality, but I do not want to end up with crippling debt and no job. I definitely had clarity when I saw through lots of the smokes and mirrors in terms of how to take exams, but definitely just fucked up come game day come second semester around. Anyway, long story short. Here are pros cons

Pros:
- I'm very social
- Have scholarships so looking at 100k debt (is this even a pro? lol)
- URM

Cons:
- grades suck
- have no in roads

No alternative career path and I'd be looking at 100k debt from law school after graduating and I have about 30k debt UG. If I leave this year I'm looking at 66k debt total. Also 66k to remain in. I do desire to be a lawyer but not at the cost of being jobless or making 40-50k (excluding big gov). Chime in.

- Depressed 1L
Don't make any decisions until grades come out; there's no need to overreact to feelings about one exam. Also, don't stress over this now. You'll be better served doing your best on your remaining finals than fretting about a decision you're not in a position yet to make.

Try to stay off the message boards and don't feed your anxiety. Study hard for the rest of the exam period, get exercise, eat well, and do things to alleviate pressure. Listen to some music.

Oopsthereitis

New

Post by Oopsthereitis » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:44 pm

grades out. slightly went up generally but because i shit the bed bad in one class, GPA only marginally went up. fucking blows. w/e. seems like dropping out is the right move despite wanting to be a lawyer.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:46 pm

californiauser wrote:school range?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:00 pm

Do you not read? He said T30. If you don't want to make 40-50k, then drop out.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:03 pm

my bad. reading comp fail.

op, what was your undergrad major?

TheodoreKGB

Bronze

Post by TheodoreKGB » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:30 pm

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:41 pm

<3.0 at a T30, I'd definitely drop out. the question is what to do next

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Oopsthereitis

New

Post by Oopsthereitis » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:45 pm

Honestly... I don't have a game plan. Pol Sci undergrad so I have a useless degree. Fuck 40-50k.

Oopsthereitis

New

Post by Oopsthereitis » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:46 pm

I should've just fucking done accounting/bus econ and crushed undergrad. so annoying.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:47 pm

What kind of URM? It's possible being URM and fitting in can compensate for the grades at, at least 1 OCI firm.

Oopsthereitis

New

Post by Oopsthereitis » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:48 pm

Mexican-American.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:52 pm

Oopsthereitis wrote:Honestly... I don't have a game plan. Pol Sci undergrad so I have a useless degree. Fuck 40-50k.
you could always apply for sales/marketing/compliance/hr/whatever you can find jobs at companies. you have to come up with a game plan before you drop out though (if that's what you ultimately decide to do) and just hustle your ass off. you'll probably start off in the same salary range as quoted above (maybe a bit higher depending on the position), but at least you'll have a lot less debt.

alternatively, you could just stick it out and try to improve your gpa during 2l and 3l and apply for jobs later in the game or after you get bar results that are less GPA sensitive (I'm assuming you won't be competitive for much during OCI, but you never know).

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:00 pm

What's your UG gpa? What are you interested in besides law practice? Does your law school have a well connected UG program where you could network with alumns to get a job in another field before dropping out? What's your summer job and are you enjoying it?

There are lots of social science and humanities majors that aren't in law school and are otherwise gainfully employed. So think about anything that might be going for you besides law school.

The "stick it out" advise avoids the fact that OP will double their debt by doing so. I think this is highly inadvisable at a school placing no more than 30% of its grads into six figure paying positions (and I'm guessing loan repayment isn't much of an option).

Oopsthereitis

New

Post by Oopsthereitis » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:00 pm

to be clear, first sem 2.86, second sem 2.9. cum of 2.88. so i'm still a decent amount even from 3.0 threshold.

also undergraduate GPA is dogshit.

2.9 at community college,

3.17 at top 50 university.

TheodoreKGB

Bronze

Post by TheodoreKGB » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:05 pm

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Oopsthereitis

New

Post by Oopsthereitis » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:10 pm

lol i wish man :(

seizmaar

Silver

Post by seizmaar » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:15 pm

how is your total COA 100k but you're already 66k in debt after 1L?

nm figured out it includes your undergrad too. i think your sunk cost isn't so bad that walking away might be the answer.

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:26 pm

If you're not willing to gun for a $50K per year small firm job you should drop out, because that's your best case scenario at this point. You're in the bottom 10%-20% at a T30 which means any grade-sensitive jobs are out. Non-grade sensitive jobs don't pay more than mid-five figures. And PSLF-eligible jobs usually don't pay more than that either, but they're hard to get because some of your classmates have been going for them since day one, rather than treating them as a backup now that big law and big gov aren't going to be options.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:51 pm

Dropping out is certainty a reasonable choice here, but I'm going to deviate from the hive a bit. You're looking at T30 + URM + Full Ride + desire to be a lawyer. Even with below-median grades, I'm not sure you need to drop out.

Mr. Campos is right that you need to adjust your salary expectations. At least when starting out, you're unlikely to make more than $50K. But I don't think you'd be crazy to stay in school in your circumstances.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:58 pm

rpupkin wrote:Dropping out is certainty a reasonable choice here, but I'm going to deviate from the hive a bit. You're looking at T30 + URM + Full Ride 66k current debt + 66k more debt to finish + desire to be a lawyer. Even with below-median grades, I'm not sure you need to drop out.

Mr. Campos is right that you need to adjust your salary expectations. At least when starting out, you're unlikely to make more than $50K. But I don't think you'd be crazy to stay in school in your circumstances.
I would agree if they did have a full ride but they said ~130k debt if they stick it out. that's a tough pill to swallow.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:21 am

rpupkin wrote:Dropping out is certainty a reasonable choice here, but I'm going to deviate from the hive a bit. You're looking at T30 + URM + Full Ride + desire to be a lawyer. Even with below-median grades, I'm not sure you need to drop out.

I have to agree with this post. Yes, $50k annually at a small firm is not the most desirable position to be in after graduating but keep in mind that you will make considerably more $$$ over the 30-40 year span of your legal career than most people. Further, although $100k in debt looks daunting right now, that amount of student debt can be realistically paid off in 10-15 years. If you truly want to be a lawyer, I wouldn't drop out.

PodPeople

New

Post by PodPeople » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:41 am

The advice above to apply for jobs while still contemplating dropping out seems like a good medium. Try that, and good luck : )

RemyMarathe

Bronze

Post by RemyMarathe » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:19 am

Last edited by RemyMarathe on Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”