Thoughts?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
butlerraider1

Thoughts?

Postby butlerraider1 » Tue May 05, 2015 3:30 pm

TasmanianToucan

Re: Thoughts?

Postby TasmanianToucan » Tue May 05, 2015 3:59 pm

Some may follow, but the small legal markets in close proximity to larger ones (e.g. NJ) may continue to turn up their noses in order to protect their native bar members from having all their work poached by out of state lawyers. Apparently that's also why many of those states don't offer reciprocity.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 05, 2015 4:08 pm

Florida, for example, fears that it will be swamped by snowbirds seeking tax deductible vacations if the state makes bar membership more easily attained.

The easiest way for New York to protect its turf while availing its test takers of other state bar opportunities would be to set a high score requirement for the UBE. (Passing scores vary considerably among the current UBE jurisdictions.)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 05, 2015 4:33 pm

Current passing scores for each of the 15 UBE states:

Alaska 280
Idaho 280

Colorado 276

Arizona 273

Montana 270
Nebraska 270
New Hampshire 270
Utah 270
Washington State 270
Wyoming 270

Kansas 266

Minnesota 260
Missouri 260
North Dakota 260

Alabama 256

If New York retains its current passing score standards, its UBE passing score would be a 266. But, I suspect that New York may tighten up a bit.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Tue May 05, 2015 4:36 pm

why the hell are alaska and idaho's requirements so high? I get the florida argument, but that doesn't seem to extend here.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 05, 2015 4:42 pm

Probably because those states want to protect their current lawyers from an influx of competition while offering greater options to those who sit for the bar exam in their state.

Although not members of the UBE, Delaware & California still have the highest requirements for bar passage.

banjo

Postby banjo » Tue May 05, 2015 10:21 pm

So this will take effect next July? I wonder if anyone will still do the pro bono scholars program next year, which lets you take the February bar during 3L year. Seems kinda pointless to take the current version when you can take the more useful UBE.

patienunderstanding

Postby patienunderstanding » Tue May 05, 2015 10:28 pm

banjo wrote:So this will take effect next July? I wonder if anyone will still do the pro bono scholars program next year, which lets you take the February bar during 3L year. Seems kinda pointless to take the current version when you can take the more useful UBE.

Can you explain this more? I mean, if someone wants to practice in NY only, does it make much difference if they take the current one this July, or February, or wait until next July?

banjo

Postby banjo » Tue May 05, 2015 10:57 pm

patienunderstanding wrote:
banjo wrote:So this will take effect next July? I wonder if anyone will still do the pro bono scholars program next year, which lets you take the February bar during 3L year. Seems kinda pointless to take the current version when you can take the more useful UBE.

Can you explain this more? I mean, if someone wants to practice in NY only, does it make much difference if they take the current one this July, or February, or wait until next July?

I agree that if you're 100% committed to practicing in NY, any test that gets you admitted will be fine. If someone's iffy on staying in NY or doesn't feel like learning the NY local law (e.g., me), it might be better to take the UBE next summer.

tealeaves12

Postby tealeaves12 » Tue May 05, 2015 11:19 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Florida, for example, fears that it will be swamped by snowbirds seeking tax deductible vacations if the state makes bar membership more easily attained.

The easiest way for New York to protect its turf while availing its test takers of other state bar opportunities would be to set a high score requirement for the UBE. (Passing scores vary considerably among the current UBE jurisdictions.)

http://m.newyorklawjournal.com/module/a ... 1739454332

Maybe this is part of their solution for that problem too.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”