Can anyone help me format my outline in Word? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Geaux12

Bronze

Can anyone help me format my outline in Word?

Post by Geaux12 » Sun May 03, 2015 1:34 pm

(I'm using Microsoft Word for Mac 2011)

The outline I'm using for my exam Tuesday (No, I didn't write the outline. I'm a 3L) does not use space efficiently. The indentation is way too liberal, as you can see here: https://imgur.com/FhgRnaa

It's currently 137 pages, which is annoyingly long. I think I can cut that number way down by reducing the indentations, i.e., make the words closer to their headings, make the headings closer to the left margin. I hope I'm explaining this coherently...

Here's the problem: I don't have time to sit and manually adjust each group of headings. I'm not seeing an option or tool that would allow me to set all the indentations for level "A. B. C. etc." or "1. 2. 3. etc." all at once rather than going page by page. What am I missing? Can I do this? Am I SOL? The headings don't use the "Style" tool, if that's relevant.

Thanks in advance y'all. Hope you killed your exams dead. Almost there!

TheDogWhisperer

New

Re: Can anyone help me format my outline in Word?

Post by TheDogWhisperer » Sun May 03, 2015 1:45 pm

You're a 3l, chill.

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Sun May 03, 2015 1:53 pm

TheDogWhisperer wrote:You're a 3l, chill.
Bruh I've got to keep that cum laude, there isn't anything else to put on my firm profile page.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Sun May 03, 2015 1:59 pm

take it with a grain of salt because i'm a PCdood but if the author didn't use the style tool (and frankly even that wouldn't have worked unless they defined a new list sequence, because the lower tiers wouldn't reset properly) then you're probably SOL. manual adjusting will be quicker/create less data loss on any formatting within the headings than retrofitting a style hierarchy to a list that's already there. sorry.

edit: reread your q after poasting and if it's just indents you want and not a full style hierarchy, then the "define new multilevel list" window is the dialogue box you want.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Sun May 03, 2015 2:43 pm

Geaux12 wrote:
TheDogWhisperer wrote:You're a 3l, chill.
Bruh I've got to keep that cum laude, there isn't anything else to put on my firm profile page.
Lol ok. TBH I just made some cuts to an outline and it went from 90+ to 30 pages. I hate unnecessary babbling maybe you can cut out some shit too

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Sun May 03, 2015 3:40 pm

sprezz wrote:edit: reread your q after poasting and if it's just indents you want and not a full style hierarchy, then the "define new multilevel list" window is the dialogue box you want.
I could kiss you. I have to go through it section by section, but it's exactly what I was looking for.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”