Do you retype a rule/policy when you use it more than once?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

rehash it again slightly differently
6%
copy pasta the one you typed out earlier in the exam
24%
say, e.g., "applying the chevron deference framework as set out above...."
71%

Total votes: 17

Garden District

Postby Garden District » Sat May 02, 2015 9:09 pm

Okay one more exam minutiae thread.

When you have to apply a rule or policy justification more than once over the course of an exam, do you:

1. rehash it again slightly differently
2. copy pasta the one you typed out earlier in the exam
3. say, e.g., "applying the chevron deference framework as set out above...."

I feel like more words = more points, but

Pleasye

Re: Do you retype a rule/policy when you use it more than once?

Postby Pleasye » Sat May 02, 2015 9:23 pm

"See above for rule," don't waste time typing a rule you already typed. You won't get points for stating the rule twice.

haus

Postby haus » Sat May 02, 2015 9:50 pm

Pleasye wrote:"See above for rule," don't waste time typing a rule you already typed. You won't get points for stating the rule twice.

+1, especially when the exam software is set to restrict copy and paste.

BVest

Postby BVest » Sat May 02, 2015 9:52 pm

Pleasye wrote:"See above for rule," don't waste time typing a rule you already typed. You won't get points for stating the rule twice.

That's how I do. Or "as in question 2" if it's in a separate question (in case they're grading exams one question at a time).

scruffy556

Postby scruffy556 » Thu May 07, 2015 8:56 am

If it's in two different questions I'll restate it fully. There are plenty of professors that will not consider what you wrote in other answers and treat all answers discretely.

If you're going to not restate the rule you should at least make sure your professor will look at other answers

Zensack

Postby Zensack » Tue May 12, 2015 5:19 pm

I usually skip the canned rules/definitions because torts and crim law are the only classes I've had that credited them (eg cite Chevron and do the steps instead of describing them then applying). When I do state rules or list elements I cross reference later on. The words = points doctrine is often correct, but it only applies to new information, not redundant copy/pasting.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue May 12, 2015 5:28 pm

scruffy556 wrote:If it's in two different questions I'll restate it fully. There are plenty of professors that will not consider what you wrote in other answers and treat all answers discretely.

This kids. Some (perhaps most) professors will grade by answer--e.g., they'll grade question #1 on every test, then go back to the beginning and grade question #2 on every test, etc. If you're dealing with two different questions, I think it's worth it to restate the rule in full.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”