Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
TFALAWL
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:48 am

Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby TFALAWL » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:29 pm

I assume HYS is safe:

But over the course of our future careers, is it safe to say that chicago NYU will be more prestigious than say UVA Penn? Thoughts?

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby kaiser » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:41 pm

TFALAWL wrote:I assume HYS is safe:

But over the course of our future careers, is it safe to say that chicago NYU will be more prestigious than say UVA Penn? Thoughts?


Very likely. So long as NYU has such a steady and solid pipeline into the best NYC firms, its very doubtful that schools like UVA or Penn are going to surpass it. But also, you have to keep in mind that a school flipping a spot or two in the rankings has no effect on your career. Practicing lawyers don't follow rankings spot by spot. They simply view the rankings in a more general sense (i.e. they will know what schools are generally top 10 schools, but its not like they will know 10 from 11 or 6 from 7).

lapolicia
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby lapolicia » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:42 pm

Chicago was ranked number 7 only a few years ago (2009). Other than that year, the T6 has been the same since 1993 so I don't think these minor fluctuations mean much.
Last edited by lapolicia on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby rpupkin » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:47 pm

You assume HYS is safe, but I'm less sure. I expect that California's water shortage will ultimately have a devastating effect on SLS's placement, much like the collapse of the auto industry hurt Michigan. I'm not sure if SLS will be completely out of the T6 by 2025, but I can't see it being ranked any higher than #5.

Also, Chicago has seen a recent surge due to what I term the "Ruby effect," but that will dwindle with time. Also, Chicago is not in the Ivy League. I can see Chicago still in the top 10 in 2025, but not really in the top 6.

And NYU? I mean, what can you say? Its fluky T6 run is about to come to a dramatic end. Unless NYU cuts its class size in half (which it stubbornly won't), it will be in GULC territory by 2025.

So which schools will replace Chicago and NYU? We all know Penn will be there. In fact, I think Penn may take SLS's place in the T3, assuming continued above-average precipitation in the mid-atlantic. But the real sleeper is the Big Red: Cornell. Big Law placement? Check. Ivy League? Check. Ascendant reputation among applicants? Check. Yep, I think Cornell will be there. It won't be T4 or T5, but T6? Book it.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby 03152016 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:48 pm

moving a spot or two up or down in some random magazine's ranking is completely meaningless
who cares what bob morse and us news thinks about law schools?

there are many factors prospective students should be paying attention to. us news rankings aren't one of them

User avatar
ymmv
Posts: 12983
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby ymmv » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:49 pm

rpupkin wrote:You assume HYS is safe, but I'm less sure. I expect that California's water shortage will ultimately have a devastating effect on SLS's placement, much like the collapse of the auto industry hurt Michigan.


:lol:

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby 03152016 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:51 pm

TFALAWL wrote:I assume HYS is safe:

But over the course of our future careers, is it safe to say that chicago NYU will be more prestigious than say UVA Penn? Thoughts?

lol i thought this was strange, since literally no one thinks this about uva
then i checked his post history, he's a uva 3L
:lol:

hopeboaltberkeley
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:44 pm

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby hopeboaltberkeley » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:54 pm

rpupkin wrote:You assume HYS is safe, but I'm less sure. I expect that California's water shortage will ultimately have a devastating effect on SLS's placement, much like the collapse of the auto industry hurt Michigan. I'm not sure if SLS will be completely out of the T6 by 2025, but I can't see it being ranked any higher than #5.


Edit: obvious troll

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22844
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:05 pm

rpupkin wrote:You assume HYS is safe, but I'm less sure. I expect that California's water shortage will ultimately have a devastating effect on SLS's placement, much like the collapse of the auto industry hurt Michigan. I'm not sure if SLS will be completely out of the T6 by 2025, but I can't see it being ranked any higher than #5.

Also, Chicago has seen a recent surge due to what I term the "Ruby effect," but that will dwindle with time. Also, Chicago is not in the Ivy League. I can see Chicago still in the top 10 in 2025, but not really in the top 6.

And NYU? I mean, what can you say? Its fluky T6 run is about to come to a dramatic end. Unless NYU cuts its class size in half (which it stubbornly won't), it will be in GULC territory by 2025.

So which schools will replace Chicago and NYU? We all know Penn will be there. In fact, I think Penn may take SLS's place in the T3, assuming continued above-average precipitation in the mid-atlantic. But the real sleeper is the Big Red: Cornell. Big Law placement? Check. Ivy League? Check. Ascendant reputation among applicants? Check. Yep, I think Cornell will be there. It won't be T4 or T5, but T6? Book it.

excellent analysis.

User avatar
Skool
Posts: 1028
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby Skool » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:06 pm

I will say though that as a university, NYU seems kind of shittily run. NYU Dubai ? NYU Shanghai? They seem like really crass attempts to use the university's name for a little extra cash.

The truly elite university's are becoming more and more generous with undergrad fin aid; haven't heard a ton about nyu keeping pace. It's endowment is not really impressive and I'm sure it's really expensive to run given all the name brand faculty in the law school and the other university departments and the fact that it's in New York.

Plus Nyu as a university is pretty nouveau riche and it's elite reputation as a law school and university is fairly recent in its history.

I say all this as an incoming nyu student. I wouldn't bet on nyu law/undergrad remaining elite. Couldnt care less though. It's good enough to get my foot in the door right now. After that, I'll have to just work on being a good lawyer.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby 03152016 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:13 pm

Skool wrote:I will say though that as a university, NYU seems kind of shittily run. NYU Dubai ? NYU Shanghai? They seem like really crass attempts to use the university's name for a little extra cash.

The truly elite university's are becoming more and more generous with undergrad fin aid; haven't heard a ton about nyu keeping pace. It's endowment is not really impressive and I'm sure it's really expensive to run given all the name brand faculty in the law school and the other university departments and the fact that it's in New York.

Plus Nyu as a university is pretty nouveau riche and it's elite reputation as a law school and university is fairly recent in its history.

I say all this as an incoming nyu student. I wouldn't bet on nyu law/undergrad remaining elite. Couldnt care less though. It's good enough to get my foot in the door right now. After that, I'll have to just work on being a good lawyer.

kind of amazing how stupid this post is

User avatar
Skool
Posts: 1028
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby Skool » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:16 pm

Brut wrote:
Skool wrote:I will say though that as a university, NYU seems kind of shittily run. NYU Dubai ? NYU Shanghai? They seem like really crass attempts to use the university's name for a little extra cash.

The truly elite university's are becoming more and more generous with undergrad fin aid; haven't heard a ton about nyu keeping pace. It's endowment is not really impressive and I'm sure it's really expensive to run given all the name brand faculty in the law school and the other university departments and the fact that it's in New York.

Plus Nyu as a university is pretty nouveau riche and it's elite reputation as a law school and university is fairly recent in its history.

I say all this as an incoming nyu student. I wouldn't bet on nyu law/undergrad remaining elite. Couldnt care less though. It's good enough to get my foot in the door right now. After that, I'll have to just work on being a good lawyer.

kind of amazing how stupid this post is
suck my balls dood

lapolicia
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby lapolicia » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:17 pm

Skool wrote:I will say though that as a university, NYU seems kind of shittily run. NYU Dubai ? NYU Shanghai? They seem like really crass attempts to use the university's name for a little extra cash.

The truly elite university's are becoming more and more generous with undergrad fin aid; haven't heard a ton about nyu keeping pace. It's endowment is not really impressive and I'm sure it's really expensive to run given all the name brand faculty in the law school and the other university departments and the fact that it's in New York.

Plus Nyu as a university is pretty nouveau riche and it's elite reputation as a law school and university is fairly recent in its history.

I say all this as an incoming nyu student. I wouldn't bet on nyu law/undergrad remaining elite. Couldnt care less though. It's good enough to get my foot in the door right now. After that, I'll have to just work on being a good lawyer.


NYU Law has been an "elite" school since around the 1960s, and has been in the T6 since the early 1990s (and the T14 always). Its undergrad, while not on par with the other schools in the T14, has actually improved tremendously since then. If it could be in the T6 in 1993 with an undergrad that was basically a glorified commuter school, it can definitely stay in the T6 with an undergrad that is now relatively highly ranked.
Last edited by lapolicia on Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby rpupkin » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:18 pm

Skool wrote:
Brut wrote:
Skool wrote:[Nonsense]

kind of amazing how stupid this post is
suck my balls dood

The stage is set for a savage 1L vs. 2L rivalry at NYU Law next year.

I am confident that TLS will have front-row seats.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby 03152016 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:19 pm

counting down until skool claims he was doing pupkin/zuck schtick

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby 03152016 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:20 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Skool wrote:
Brut wrote:
Skool wrote:[Nonsense]

kind of amazing how stupid this post is
suck my balls dood

The stage is set for a savage 1L vs. 2L rivalry at NYU Law next year.

I am confident that TLS will have front-row seats.

are you kidding
i'm not going to be at nyu next year
my grades are good enough to transfer into CORNELL

User avatar
ymmv
Posts: 12983
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby ymmv » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:22 pm

Skool wrote:
Brut wrote:
Skool wrote:I will say though that as a university, NYU seems kind of shittily run. NYU Dubai ? NYU Shanghai? They seem like really crass attempts to use the university's name for a little extra cash.

The truly elite university's are becoming more and more generous with undergrad fin aid; haven't heard a ton about nyu keeping pace. It's endowment is not really impressive and I'm sure it's really expensive to run given all the name brand faculty in the law school and the other university departments and the fact that it's in New York.

Plus Nyu as a university is pretty nouveau riche and it's elite reputation as a law school and university is fairly recent in its history.

I say all this as an incoming nyu student. I wouldn't bet on nyu law/undergrad remaining elite. Couldnt care less though. It's good enough to get my foot in the door right now. After that, I'll have to just work on being a good lawyer.

kind of amazing how stupid this post is
suck my balls dood


I mean what did you expect after writing something like this.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2835
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby haus » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:40 pm

Brut wrote:moving a spot or two up or down in some random magazine's ranking is completely meaningless
who cares what bob morse and us news thinks about law schools?

there are many factors prospective students should be paying attention to. us news rankings aren't one of them

It is not even a magazine anymore, other than these silly special editions they stopped printing years ago.

User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby yomisterd » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:45 pm

surely Hillary losing to scott walker in 2016 will cause Y to fall drastically as people drop out of law school and college in droves

User avatar
BiglawAssociate
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:05 am

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby BiglawAssociate » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:48 pm

lapolicia wrote:
Skool wrote:I will say though that as a university, NYU seems kind of shittily run. NYU Dubai ? NYU Shanghai? They seem like really crass attempts to use the university's name for a little extra cash.

The truly elite university's are becoming more and more generous with undergrad fin aid; haven't heard a ton about nyu keeping pace. It's endowment is not really impressive and I'm sure it's really expensive to run given all the name brand faculty in the law school and the other university departments and the fact that it's in New York.

Plus Nyu as a university is pretty nouveau riche and it's elite reputation as a law school and university is fairly recent in its history.

I say all this as an incoming nyu student. I wouldn't bet on nyu law/undergrad remaining elite. Couldnt care less though. It's good enough to get my foot in the door right now. After that, I'll have to just work on being a good lawyer.


NYU Law has been an "elite" school since around the 1960s, and has been in the T6 since the early 1990s (and the T14 always). Its undergrad, while not on par with the other schools in the T14, has actually improved tremendously since then. If it could be in the T6 in 1993 with an undergrad that was basically a glorified commuter school, it can definitely stay in the T6 with an undergrad that is now relatively highly ranked.


That's in large part because NYC went from a drug-infused shithole to just an overpriced shithole. NYC was a complete trash, crime ridden drug dump until the 90s.

My theory is that if COL keeps going up in NYC, NYU (and to a lesser degree, Columbia) is going to go down. No person in their right mind would move to NYC for a 160k job if COL is like 5k a month for a one bedroom. So the appeal of going to school in NYC (and working in NYC for that matter) would decline. I say Columbia to a lesser degree since the university as a whole and the undergrad is good whereas NYU is just "meh". (At a certain point, even the parents of the trust fund kids at NYU undergrad would have to say "no" to their money demands.)

I think California as a state is also fucked (unfortunately). The drought is going to fuck with the economy. It's about time that the state got de-populated though. There are too many people living there that shouldn't be there in the first place (think poor people who live 5 to a one bedroom, much like in NYC, etc.).

I really wish people like that would move the fuck out of NYC and California......just go somewhere they can actually afford. It's ruining it for the rest of us and artificially driving up rent prices.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby 03152016 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:55 pm

yes if nyc biglaw suffers it's definitely nyu taking a greater hit!
i can tell you've really thought about this

User avatar
BiglawAssociate
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:05 am

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby BiglawAssociate » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:56 pm

Brut wrote:yes if nyc biglaw suffers it's definitely nyu taking a greater hit!
i can tell you've really thought about this


NYU/Columbia/Cornell....whatever schools place more into NYC would be disproportionately fucked.

But I'm sayig people are less likely to want to attend NYU in the first place. Columbia has that Ivy prestige and name going for it. Nobody knows what NYU is outside of NY state.

ANyway, a part of me hopes all the poors are priced out of NYC soon....this way I can get some better deals on apartments. I don't really get why half the people I know live here to be honest. Many have student loan debt and don't have any parental help.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22844
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 01, 2015 12:00 am

hasn't your wife's rich family bought you an island yet? somewhere very far away?

User avatar
BiglawAssociate
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:05 am

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby BiglawAssociate » Fri May 01, 2015 12:01 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:hasn't your wife's rich family bought you an island yet? somewhere very far away?


No, sadly :( but they give us some money each month because it's only fair after buying sibling a house

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Will the T-6 be the same 10 years from now?

Postby 03152016 » Fri May 01, 2015 12:04 am

cls has ivy prestige, but so does cornell
so that argument doesn't persuade me

agree that nyc is too expensive tho
i'd target a secondary market if i could but no ties :|




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LawHammer, LgownaCav, waterlogged72 and 12 guests