A Most Sincere Middle Finger to Fake ADHD Law Students

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LET'S GET IT

Re: A Most Sincere Middle Finger to Fake ADHD Law Students

Postby LET'S GET IT » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:19 am

star fox wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:It's easy to say it won't matter. But the people I know of using the extra time never have used it before. That means they did well enough on the LSAT without extra time to get to the same school as me, and now are getting time and a half on an exam where time is a huge issue. It's hard for me to believe it won't make a difference. Call it sour grapes if you want, it seems unfair to me. And I'm speaking of the ones abusing it, not the people with legit ADD/ADHD.

End rant

But there's nothing you can do about it so going in with bad vibes won't help. So just try and focus on writing the best exam you can and don't worry about anyone else.

I'm not going in with bad vibes. Tomorrow at 9, this will be the farthest thing from my mind. Just venting.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:22 am

WUSTTTL

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:24 am

JohannDeMann wrote:if your school is giving this to people after 1st semester, thats pretty fucked.

It's the reality. Schools cannot discriminate against people whom have been diagnosed late. Whether or not this is an over-diagnosed condition is another question. 10% of kids 4-17 have been diagnosed as having ADHD. The bottom line is: Don't let it get to you.

Some folks legitimately need to be medicated and others see it as an advantage to exploit. The scientific evidence is nowhere close to in, as the long-term effects are unknown, but these drugs do have the potential to cause early onset damage to your axons and myelin sheath (sclerosis), as they speed up the synaptic process along these pipelines, causing damage in some during the process. Of course, the risk is there (most drugs carry a some risk), whether or not you really have ADHD, but that risk is worth it to a chronic sufferer. Is it worth it to have 45 minutes longer on an exam? Maybe, but whatever.

Just do you. Law school is not rocket science.

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:27 am

Someone in my section got extra time and made all A's his/her first semester. Word got out, and the next semester it seemed like a quarter of the section had gotten an ADHD diagnosis, and extra time on their exams.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:32 am

I only know one person in my class who truly needs the extra time... the rest? who knows...

yomisterd

Postby yomisterd » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:33 am

do you have to disclose ADHD for hiring or is it protected by HIPAA

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:34 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:
I'm not going in with bad vibes. Tomorrow at 9, this will be the farthest thing from my mind. Just venting.

+1

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:40 am

How do you guys know that 10% of the class did this? You counted people in the room?

I'm not saying it didn't happen I'm just curious what the proof is. I don't think I would have noticed if anyone was missing from my exam room, let alone the exact number. Maybe your exam set up is different though and makes this kind of counting easier.

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:40 am

mvp99 wrote:I only know one person in my class who truly needs the extra time... the rest? who knows...

It is impossible to know who and who does not need the accommodations, unless you are a practicing psychiatrist or people are openly bragging about their newly-scored prescriptions. This thread is kinda futile. Like any neurological disorder, there is a spectrum, the severity of which is extremely difficult to ascertain and correctly diagnose, even for doctors. As a prospective law student, this is quite depressing, if 10-20% of the class will be partitioned off for time consideration. But what the hell can you do.

Vent, I guess. Thanks OP haha

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:46 am

BigZuck wrote:How do you guys know that 10% of the class did this? You counted people in the room?

People w/ legit extra time pissed about fakers spilling the beans on the approximate #s

hala92

Postby hala92 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:47 am

anyriotgirl wrote:tbh I'm more worked up about llms and transfers counting on our curve

LLMs? Are they doing well in your school? I thought LLMs only help the curve because most of them tend to do really poorly, though they might have some favorable policies such as extra time. Can you tell me which school are you in? Just curious~

jchiles

Postby jchiles » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:16 am

JohannDeMann wrote:if your school is giving this to people after 1st semester, thats pretty fucked.

Definitely this, I can see things happening and there being reasons why 1 or 2 people need more time for reasons they didn't know before, but if the number of people getting accommodations truly amounts to 10% of the class that's cause for concern. Obviously you have to focus on your own test but that number should raise an alarm for any administration paying attention.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:20 am

Why not give everyone extra time. Seems like an easy solution.

The Mixed Tape
stop stop this is my favorite dryfit polo

Postby The Mixed Tape » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:32 am

this reminds me i need to get an addi script

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:48 am

xael

Postby xael » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:37 am

I spent all of high school fighting to get off a 504. Maybe I would say differently if I went to a different school but there's no way in hell I would willingly get back on something like that now.

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:39 am

I was diagnosed with ADD as a kid, still can feel it sometimes but honestly at this level its complete shit to give people extra time on exams, especially when doing so has such a direct impact on others. If you can't overcome that shit as a 25 year old on a life-altering exam I'm sorry but you're fucked for life. Not to mention you didn't get an extra allowance on the LSAT and did just fine unless there's some weird affirmative action program for ADDers.

eriedoctrine

Postby eriedoctrine » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:48 am

I do this, and in my honest opinion, I expect nothing less from law students and future law practitioners.
Spot the weaknesses, attack the loopholes, exploit the opportunity, and dance around the edges of the law without crossing it.
This is what future hiring partners and clients want from their counsel, and this is what my V20 wants from me.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:34 am

eriedoctrine wrote:I do this, and in my honest opinion, I expect nothing less from law students and future law practitioners.
Spot the weaknesses, attack the loopholes, exploit the opportunity, and dance around the edges of the law without crossing it.
This is what future hiring partners and clients want from their counsel, and this is what my V20 wants from me.

Brave post nerd

Effingham

Postby Effingham » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:58 am

Nebby wrote:
eriedoctrine wrote:I do this, and in my honest opinion, I expect nothing less from law students and future law practitioners.

Brave post nerd

Guy is pathetic. Must be something to look at your preftigous job, smile at your (likely overweight and coddling) family, and remember that you will never be able to clearly and genuinely say "I earned this."

kcdc1

Postby kcdc1 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:00 am

anyriotgirl wrote:tbh I'm more worked up about llms and transfers counting on our curve

My mostly uninformed impression re: LLM's is that many have jobs lined up in their home countries and just need the US degree for whatever reason, so they don't feel pressure to grind as hard as JD students. 100% respect to LLM's, but I'd count it as a positive to be curved against a few people who don't need the grades as badly.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:01 am

hala92 wrote:

LLMs? Are they doing well in your school? I thought LLMs only help the curve because most of them tend to do really poorly, though they might have some favorable policies such as extra time. Can you tell me which school are you in? Just curious~

I always sort of figured it just washes out.

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:06 am

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:31 am

Pragmatic.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:42 am

BALL DON'T LIE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”