Negotiating an offer

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rivermaker

Negotiating an offer

Postby rivermaker » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:38 pm

Hi TLS. Haven't posted in a while but need your advice. I got an offer from a small firm in the area I want to practice in. I accepted the offer at X amount of dollars with a handshake with signed documents to come. Later, I got another offer that is offering a substantially larger amount of money but I won't consider due to office reputation, the fact that they work out of their house, and field of law.

How normal is it to leverage another offer after I accepted the first offer? Will it make me look like a scumbag considering I already accepted? Are negotiations over? Please tell me your thoughts. Thanks.

zombie mcavoy

Re: Negotiating an offer

Postby zombie mcavoy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:43 pm

I generally wouldn't try to leverage an offer I wouldn't be content accepting.

And considering you already agreed, I think it'd be a bad look. The time to do ask for more money was when the offer was outstanding, IMO.

rivermaker

Postby rivermaker » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:45 pm

I think I agree with you. Even if they raise it a bit it might not be worth how I look trying to get the offer raise. However, its kind of making me sick missing out on the money I'm missing out on.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:17 pm

If the place making the higher offer has a shady reputation, that's likely why the extra scratch. If the place you accepted from has a good reputation, they probably won't consider the other place a firm they want to compete with.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”