Manhattan apartment with a large dog?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Hutz_and_Goodman

Manhattan apartment with a large dog?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:21 pm

Moving to NYC for big law position. I also have a big (75lb) dog. Need to be in manhattan and looking for brownstone apartment. Anyone done this in morningside heights/Harlem/washington heights? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hutz_and_Goodman

Re: Manhattan apartment with a large dog?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:12 pm

Any thoughts on this? I assume it's possible??

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:29 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Any thoughts on this? I assume it's possible??

It's possible. I see a lot of people walking large dogs in the Morningside area, and there is one very large dog who lives in my building. If you want brownstones, most likely west of Broadway in this area at least. From when I looked, there are more in the 100-110 area. I'm not familiar with Harlem market specifically or Washington Heights.

I think your question is a bit broad so it's hard to narrow things down.

Why do you want to live so far upper west? Have you looked at upper east or queens (astoria/long island city)? The first two are much more residential and certainly have housing for people with dogs and are on the lower price range (which I assume you are looking at).

As for websites, look at streeteasy and nakedapartments.

Hope that helps a bit..

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:12 pm

toothbrush wrote:

It's possible. I see a lot of people walking large dogs in the Morningside area, and there is one very large dog who lives in my building. If you want brownstones, most likely west of Broadway in this area at least. From when I looked, there are more in the 100-110 area. I'm not familiar with Harlem market specifically or Washington Heights.

Why do you want to live so far upper west? Have you looked at upper east or queens (astoria/long island city)? The first two are much more residential and certainly have housing for people with dogs and are on the lower price range (which I assume you are looking at).

Hope that helps a bit..

Thanks a lot! The area is bc my wife will be working in upper manhattan and even from morningside heights will have 15 min commute. Your response is reassuring bc whenever I bring this up with people they say some version of "you realize this will be very hard, right?"

bretby

Postby bretby » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:24 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

Hope that helps a bit..

Thanks a lot! The area is bc my wife will be working in upper manhattan and even from morningside heights will have 15 min commute. Your response is reassuring bc whenever I bring this up with people they say some version of "you realize this will be very hard, right?"

A brownstone in any of those neighborhoods will be extremely expensive. The apartments in Washington Heights are, for the most part, not brownstones, and that is the cheapest neighborhood you mentioned. Not sure why you're set on a brownstone, but you might have significantly better luck finding an apartment that will take a dog in Astoria, which is a reasonable commute. Also, you will almost certainly want a broker to find this apartment. It will be hard and you will most likely have to compromise on what you want in order to find a place that will take such a big dog.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”