Federal Jurisdiction Question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Federal Jurisdiction Question

Post by OutoftheWoods » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:06 pm

Exam review is upon me and with all the issues about standing, sovereign immunity, injunctions and 1983 - lines are getting blurred. Came across a hypo that I'm not sure how to get across. Anyone able to help me out better:

Basically, there's a federal law, that a federal agency is supposed to enforce and enjoin/fine those in violation. private citizen sues for an injunction in federal court to force a *municipality to comply with the fed standard. this is not a 1983 claim.

Is this basically just ex parte v .young? does the citizen suit part of standing also play a role?

hiima3L

Silver

Re: Federal Jurisdiction Question

Post by hiima3L » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:22 am

That is way too vague to assess based on the facts you've given. Or maybe I just suck at fed courts.

InRemington

New

Post by InRemington » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:34 pm

I'd kill for a solid Fed Courts outline - such gun, so 3L, me getting a C.

k5220

Bronze

Post by k5220 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:49 pm

OutoftheWoods wrote:Exam review is upon me and with all the issues about standing, sovereign immunity, injunctions and 1983 - lines are getting blurred. Came across a hypo that I'm not sure how to get across. Anyone able to help me out better:

Basically, there's a federal law, that a federal agency is supposed to enforce and enjoin/fine those in violation. private citizen sues for an injunction in federal court to force a *municipality to comply with the fed standard. this is not a 1983 claim.

Is this basically just ex parte v .young? does the citizen suit part of standing also play a role?
Did you do like Sandoval in your class? (That's the case where the Court denied a private right of action to enforce disparate impact regulations promulgated by the DOJ under Title VI)

ecrp

New

Post by ecrp » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:32 am

OutoftheWoods wrote:Exam review is upon me and with all the issues about standing, sovereign immunity, injunctions and 1983 - lines are getting blurred. Came across a hypo that I'm not sure how to get across. Anyone able to help me out better:

Ok, so federal agency makes me think standing might be an issue here. I would look at Lujan and Akins. Ex parte young implied rights of action for a claim that doesn't involve 1983, does not work for municipalities, only states - look at Monell.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”