Blank 2L Summer Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Blank 2L Summer

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:10 pm

I'm speculating that either some of OP's sense of entitlement comes out in interviews, or that he half-assed his OCI prep as badly as he's half-assing his post-OCI job search.

You're not doomed yet, man, but you need to wake up, figure out what you're doing wrong, and hustle.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:13 pm

although you did relatively well in LS I think you should be aware that top 20% is not good enough to really get you a fighting chance at a good paying job after LS... get any legal job you can

MagicMike80

New

Post by MagicMike80 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:18 am

Troll

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:32 pm

JimmyTheGreek wrote:Thanks for the response. And maybe I am a bit naive. However, I don't think it is entirely unreasonable to assume that if you do really well in law school (as in, being in the top 20 people in the class) that employers would hire you over people in the middle of the pack. I hope I don't come off as whiny, but the OCI strikeouts and financial limitations that are put on where I can live for the summer have made me feel pretty jaded as far as legal employment goes.
You did decently well at a school near the bottom of the T2. Top 20% puts you in a better position than other students at your school, but even at a lot of T1's that rank isn't going to guarantee you a SA. You seem to be approaching the job hunt in the wrong way. No one is going to walk up to you and hand you a summer position because you have a decent GPA. You need need to be out there hustling for it. This means applying everywhere you can and not letting the fact that you struck out define your search. It sounds like you had an aversion to using your connections before, even if they're no longer hiring for their own offices, contact them and ask if they know of anyone who has work, even if it's a low-paying law clerk job, you need something.

JimmyTheGreek

New

Post by JimmyTheGreek » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:58 pm

Hey everyone,

Thank you all for the responses. I talked to my father today, and he'll be sending me some research and writing stuff to do (5-10 hours a week) while I look for jobs in the town I'm living now. I hope I won't have to wait tables or something like that, but I'll take a paying job that can help with my rent now over a lower paying/nonpaying job somewhere where I'll have to move and pay double rent.

Also, I am speaking with my adviser about tutoring for a 5 day summer session with prospective law students about how to get their LSAT numbers up. Between the stuff for my dad and the tutoring, I think I'll be good if I put those on my resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JimmyTheGreek

New

Post by JimmyTheGreek » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:59 pm

MagicMike80 wrote:Troll
I'm not trolling. Just asking for advice. I didn't know doing something law related during your 2L summer is so critical.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:07 pm

JimmyTheGreek wrote:Thank you all for the responses. I talked to my father today, and he'll be sending me some research and writing stuff to do (5-10 hours a week) while I look for jobs in the town I'm living now. I hope I won't have to wait tables or something like that, but I'll take a paying job that can help with my rent now over a lower paying/nonpaying job somewhere where I'll have to move and pay double rent.
As others keep emphasizing, you don't appear to be grasping the gravity of your situation. You, of course, should be looking for--and should take--a lower paying/nonpaying legal job instead of waiting tables or some other form of non-legal work.

Actus Reus

Bronze

Post by Actus Reus » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:37 pm

Do you have a career services office? They need to be fired immediately.

I'll repeat. You should SERIOUSLY consider dropping out of law school. With 100% certainty I can tell you you will never become a full time law professor.

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:42 pm

Did you just not think this stuff was important or worth thinking about dude? There are people with better grades from better schools who busted their ass to secure post-grad employment who will nevertheless graduate unemployed and financially/professionally fucked for the foreseeable future. And you think you're going to be a law professor with top 20% grades at a middling school? LJL.

2L summer isn't about doing "legal work." That was 1L summer. 2L summer is about doing legal work that gives you a chance at post-grad employment doing legal work. Thinking you can tutor LSAT and do busy work for your daddy this summer and be good to go is a joke.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:47 pm

Like, I don't even know what advice to give. You need to get your shit together and grow up dude. You should doorbust you career services office tomorrow and not leave until you have a job that gives you a chance to be a lawyer after law school.

You're in for a really terrifying wakeup call when you hit 3L fall and realize you have no idea what you're doing after you graduate, and that a student loan bill with your name on it is JUST WAITING for that grace period to end. (eta: in before "daddy is paying for my law school so i don't have any loans")

JimmyTheGreek

New

Post by JimmyTheGreek » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:00 pm

rpupkin wrote:
JimmyTheGreek wrote:Thank you all for the responses. I talked to my father today, and he'll be sending me some research and writing stuff to do (5-10 hours a week) while I look for jobs in the town I'm living now. I hope I won't have to wait tables or something like that, but I'll take a paying job that can help with my rent now over a lower paying/nonpaying job somewhere where I'll have to move and pay double rent.
As others keep emphasizing, you don't appear to be grasping the gravity of your situation. You, of course, should be looking for--and should take--a lower paying/nonpaying legal job instead of waiting tables or some other form of non-legal work.
I think you misread my post. I will keep doing stuff for my dad even after I find a job. It'll be happening all summer. around 10-15 hours of legal work a week. After working at a solo practitioner's office last summer, I'm just sick to death of the stuffed suit/office area.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:05 pm

JimmyTheGreek wrote:I'm just sick to death of the stuffed suit/office area.
Dude... an office area is a lot better than waiting tables forever.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:09 pm

Sorry to hijack. A 3L friend of mine found no work, legal or otherwise, for both 1L and 2L summers despite my urging. Is he f*cked? His only legal work experience was a civil litigation clinic he's doing his last semester. He did get into an MPP program, and hopes to parlay that into some remunerative career. Impressive background otherwise (Fulbright and TFA).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:09 pm

Why doesn't your dad just give you a full time job if he's a lawyer.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:12 pm

JimmyTheGreek wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
I think you misread my post. I will keep doing stuff for my dad even after I find a job. It'll be happening all summer. around 10-15 hours of legal work a week. After working at a solo practitioner's office last summer, I'm just sick to death of the stuffed suit/office area.
No, I read your post correctly. What you're describing--getting a non-legal job that you supplement with some part-time legal work--would be fine (though not ideal) for your 1L summer. But it doesn't really work for your 2L summer. As others are suggesting, you want to work in a position that at least has the possibility of turning into a job after graduation.

If you get a J.D. and pass the bar, could you make money long-term doing part-time contract work for your father? (Serious question.) If so, then it might be worth it for you to carry out your summer plan and then return to law school for your final year. Otherwise, you probably should drop out. If you're "just sick to death" of working in an office, this profession is not for you. You may as well cut your losses.

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:20 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Sorry to hijack. A 3L friend of mine found no work, legal or otherwise, for both 1L and 2L summers despite my urging. Is he f*cked? His only legal work experience was a civil litigation clinic he's doing his last semester. He did get into an MPP program, and hopes to parlay that into some remunerative career. Impressive background otherwise (Fulbright and TFA).
Didn't you make this guy his own thread a while back? And he's in the same position as every other unemployed 3L with no prospects. So yeah, fucked, except with less to talk about in interviews and more reasons for employers to question hiring him ("literally nobody else has hired this dude to do legal work and every single one of our 6,000 other applicant have some legal WE, hmmm" *tosses app in trash can*). More school and more loans are unlikely to help. What did you think the answer to this question was?

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:23 pm

North wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:Sorry to hijack. A 3L friend of mine found no work, legal or otherwise, for both 1L and 2L summers despite my urging. Is he f*cked? His only legal work experience was a civil litigation clinic he's doing his last semester. He did get into an MPP program, and hopes to parlay that into some remunerative career. Impressive background otherwise (Fulbright and TFA).
Didn't you make this guy his own thread a while back? And he's in the same position as every other unemployed 3L. So yeah, fucked, except with less to talk about in interviews and more reasons for employers to question hiring him ("literally nobody else has hired this dude to do legal work and every single one of our 6,000 other applicant have some legal WE, hmmm" *tosses app in trash can*). More school and more loans are unlikely to help. What did you think the answer to this question was?
His eventual goal is to go into politics. He hasn't chosen which bar to take yet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:24 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
His eventual goal is to go into politics. He hasn't chosen which bar to take yet.
Smh, should have gone to GW

JimmyTheGreek

New

Post by JimmyTheGreek » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:33 pm

North wrote:Why doesn't your dad just give you a full time job if he's a lawyer.
I know that is an option, but I really don't want to do that because 1) I feel like that would be a huge imposition on him to hire me 2) I would feel kind of shitty crawling back to my dad 3) That isn't a viable long term option, as he is a solo practitioner who does a lot of litigation, something I totally do not want to do.

cyrilfiggis

New

Post by cyrilfiggis » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:37 pm

Those things are preferable to unemployment and debt(?).

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:41 pm

JimmyTheGreek wrote:
North wrote:Why doesn't your dad just give you a full time job if he's a lawyer.
I know that is an option, but I really don't want to do that because 1) I feel like that would be a huge imposition on him to hire me 2) I would feel kind of shitty crawling back to my dad 3) That isn't a viable long term option, as he is a solo practitioner who does a lot of litigation, something I totally do not want to do.
So you don't want to do litigation. And you don't want to work in an office. And, according to your "law professor" thread, you don't like legal writing.

You essentially have two options: (1) accept that the practice of law will entail doing things that you do not enjoy; or (2) drop out of law school and find something else to do with your life.

I'm not trying to be a dick. You just really, really need a reality check here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:47 pm

JimmyTheGreek wrote:
Oh cool, so you want to do transactional work without having done an SA at one of the very few firms that do enough transactional work to hire recent grads to help do it? And this will happen right before you hop over to being a law professor?

JimmyTheGreek

New

Post by JimmyTheGreek » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:51 pm

North wrote:
JimmyTheGreek wrote:
Oh cool, so you want to do transactional work without having done an SA at one of the very few firms that do enough transactional work to hire recent grads to help do it? And this will happen right before you hop over to being a law professor?
I never said I wanted to do transactional work. Right now, I'm having a tough time deciding exactly what I want to do. I know I do NOT want to do litigation, and transactional work seems equally as bad but I'm not sure. And I know being a law professor is something that, if it does happen, will happen a long was down the road. After I get my LLM and hopefully get some thing published. It's the in between that's bothering me.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:54 pm

JimmyTheGreek wrote: I never said I wanted to do transactional work. Right now, I'm having a tough time deciding exactly what I want to do. I know I do NOT want to do litigation, and transactional work seems equally as bad but I'm not sure. And I know being a law professor is something that, if it does happen, will happen a long was down the road. After I get my LLM and hopefully get some thing published. It's the in between that's bothering me.
Call me crazy, but spending even more money on your legal education is probably not the correct answer here.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:57 pm

JimmyTheGreek wrote:
North wrote:
JimmyTheGreek wrote:
I never said I wanted to do transactional work. Right now, I'm having a tough time deciding exactly what I want to do. I know I do NOT want to do litigation, and transactional work seems equally as bad but I'm not sure. And I know being a law professor is something that, if it does happen, will happen a long was down the road. After I get my LLM and hopefully get some thing published. It's the in between that's bothering me.
Alright now I'm sure you're trolling, but on the off chance you're not, please don't tutor people for the lsat...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”