Bluebook Question: I'm at a loss

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
3|ink

Bluebook Question: I'm at a loss

Postby 3|ink » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:23 pm

I can't find the answer to my question in the bluebook anywhere.

I'm trying to correctly cite a state statute, but I can't figure out how to apply the date rule when citing from Westlaw or Lexis. I get that I have to cite the year that appears on the spine of the volume, the year that appears on the title page, or the latest copyright year -- in that order of preference. But obviously this information is unavailable when viewing a statute from westlaw or lexis (right?). Westlaw and lexis just give you the effective date and the current through date, which are useless.

BVest

Re: Bluebook Question: I'm at a loss

Postby BVest » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:53 pm

There's a bluebook rule for citing to an electronic database for statutes that answers this question. Of course, you can always check the print version's last update date (for the volume in question) and see if there have been any changes since then. (ETA, e.g. here are Texas's copyright dates).

ditch digger

Postby ditch digger » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:19 pm

Check out BB Rule 12.5(a)

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:23 pm

BVest wrote:There's a bluebook rule for citing to an electronic database for statutes that answers this question. Of course, you can always check the print version's last update date (for the volume in question) and see if there have been any changes since then. (ETA, e.g. here are Texas's copyright dates).

:oops:

Thanks. Dunno how I missed it.

muddup

Postby muddup » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:35 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread... How do I cite an Administrative Agency's (e.g. DOL) online guidance and FAQs?

For example:
http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq-aca4.html

alphasteve

Postby alphasteve » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:53 pm

muddup wrote:Sorry to hijack the thread... How do I cite an Administrative Agency's (e.g. DOL) online guidance and FAQs?

For example:
http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq-aca4.html

BB 18.2 most likely.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”