Do you ever get sick of friends in your section?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Young Marino

Do you ever get sick of friends in your section?

Postby Young Marino » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:11 pm

Not that it's anything personal but I find myself getting annoyed from time to time of being around the same people every single day. Anyone else get this way?

sandwhich

Re: Do you ever get sick of friends in your section?

Postby sandwhich » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:28 pm

Young Marino wrote:Not that it's anything personal but I find myself getting annoyed from time to time of being around the same people every single day. Anyone else get this way?

You know you're going to work with the same people every single day for years right? And it's going to be a lot fewer people than in a section.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:54 pm

And of that small group, whoever you hate most will likely be your boss.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:04 pm

Also they all know who you are on tls

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:23 pm

ITT: ym tries to trick tls into thinking he has friends

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:38 pm

My favorite Dan post was the one where he talks about how zeal for law is coursing through his veins or whatever

Stevoman

Postby Stevoman » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:28 pm

The problem is that for most people, their 1L section is the people they see at school and outside of school. You're around them WAY more than you're going to be around your future co-workers and such. You're at class with them 16 hours a week, plus double or triple that in the library, then you go out with them after you're done studying, then you party with them on the weekend. Being around anyone 80+ hours/week is enough to make you sick of them, no matter how awesome of people they are.

I diversified my friend base in my third year and it's been much better than my first years. I still hang out with my 1L friends and they're awesome, but there really is truth to the old proverb that says seeing a friend less often makes you better friends.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:50 pm

Stevoman wrote:You're at class with them 16 hours a week, plus double or triple that in the library

wut?

Stevoman

Postby Stevoman » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:43 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Stevoman wrote:You're at class with them 16 hours a week, plus double or triple that in the library

wut?

Did you not spend inordinate amounts of time reading in the library between classes your 1L year? Most 1Ls do. Likewise, most find a friend or two at a table in said library for reading.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:12 pm

Stevoman wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

wut?

Did you not spend inordinate amounts of time reading in the library between classes your 1L year? Most 1Ls do. Likewise, most find a friend or two at a table in said library for reading.

I never read in the library just because I'd rather do it at home, but I was really reacting to the whole 32-48 hours a week studying outside of class thing. That's insane, at least outside of finals.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:10 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Stevoman wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

wut?

I never read in the library just because I'd rather do it at home, but I was really reacting to the whole 32-48 hours a week studying outside of class thing. That's insane, at least outside of finals.

I agree with Spanish Man. I put maybe 10-15 hours a week doing work outside of the classroom including case "readings". Hence the reference to LAWL skewl.

ghostoftraynor

Postby ghostoftraynor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:05 am

What answer were you expecting? People get tired of people in their lives all the time. They don't get tired of others. If you are tired of someone, spend less time with them. If you are tired of everyone, make new friends. Law students do spend an unnatural amount of time together, but that doesn't mean you have to start disliking them. Maybe try a new friend group.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:12 am

just have friends in other sections

I love my section but most of my closest friends are in other sections.

Tradition Never Changes. Neither do Champions.

Postby 052220152 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:17 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Stevoman wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

wut?

Tiago Splitter wrote:It's 24/7 man. 24 hours a week, 7 months out of the year.

Seriously you'll be in the law school a few hours a day like 4 times a week.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:02 am

kalvano wrote:And of that small group, whoever you hate most will likely be your boss.

This x1000

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”