int'l law journal that accepts submission from other student

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Ramsey

int'l law journal that accepts submission from other student

Postby Ramsey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:47 am

Hi all,

Is there any int'l law (or related) journal that accepts articles written by students from other schools? I'd love to have my term paper from a seminar published, but the int'l law journal at my school does not accept submission from non-members. The paper is about a topic I am very passionate about, and I thought it would be nice to have something published that might strengthen the public interest side of my resume since I hope to eventually transition into PI in the related fields down the road (I'm heading to BigLaw for now).

I booked the seminar (graded solely on the paper) if that helps. My professor is currently on sabbatical so contacting him or involving him in the process would be difficult for the time being.

Any general advice on how to get published is also appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Capitol_Idea

Re: int'l law journal that accepts submission from other student

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:45 am

While I don't know of any journals that specifically accept student submissions (but try GULC - there are, no joke, like 12 or more journals now and at least one is internationally focused), BUT journals take regular submissions - you might want to go that route.

I have no experience on whether publishing helps with anything - I've been doing it merely because I'm a nerd and (perhaps facetiously) think I have something to contribute. In any case, wait until your paper is fleshed out or mostly done before assessing its publication-worthiness. There is SO MUCH garbage out there - on a personal note please try to contribute something useful, not just something for the sake of publishing.

For my second publication, I've teamed up with a professor who's essentially working the political side of getting published. However, it sounds like your best bet - the professor under which you wrote the paper - isn't a sure thing right now. Here is what I would recommend:

1. Work on the paper now. Figure out the law/status quo of the situation you're looking into, and see what's already been written. Figure out what your contribution will be - and try to think of how you'll structure the paper. If I misread your post and the paper's already written - make it better. There's always more editing you can do, and it's much easier taking stuff out than it is adding in a whole new section. Also get other eyes on any writing you've already done.

2. Email with the professor. Even if he's on sabbatical, he might be responsive to email and even available for a meeting. If you can establish that you want to get published and that you will be doing 99% of the work, I think he'll be more than willing to help you out. If you make him a second author on the paper, doubly so.

3. Ultimately, do the vast majority of the work (all the research, all the writing, fair amount of editing) - give your professor as small a job as possible and he'll be more willing to help. There are particular seasons for submitting papers to journals and the prof will know which journals might be more favorable to your topic/school's credentials.

Hope this helps - feel free to PM me on more specifics. I've got one pub down (student note though, so not a for-realsies publication in my books), a second that is in the finishing stages of editing by the prof and will be submitted for publication in a week or so, and a third that I'm just brainstorming/drafting now for hopeful publication next year.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:45 am

VJIL has accepted student notes from students at other schools in the past.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:04 am

SMU has an International Law Journal that accepts submissions.

TFALAWL

Postby TFALAWL » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:06 pm

Last I checked, my journal (VJIL) accepts other submissions. It's as respectable as a secondary journal can be I suppose.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:26 am

I think it's the exception, not the rule, that journals won't accept papers from other students. I'd submit it around July to as many journals as you can. (A prof told me that you should only submit papers in July and December because that's when the majority of journals are looking.)

Ramsey

Postby Ramsey » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:15 pm

Thank you all for the advice!

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:39 pm

I recently discovered that while the international journal at my school does not accept submissions from JD students or LLMs, they will from J.S.D.s.

Jchance

Postby Jchance » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:38 pm

hiima3L wrote:I'd submit it around July to as many journals as you can. (A prof told me that you should only submit papers in July and December because that's when the majority of journals are looking.)

The proper time is actually March and August, give or take 1 month around those time. Read up on http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com if you are into publishing.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”