Materials for studying for MPRE Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
3|ink

Platinum

Materials for studying for MPRE

Post by 3|ink » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:11 pm

What did you use to study for the MPRE? I figure I need to buy a book or something.

Took ethics last semester so I figure there isn't much more to learn.

nachosrgood

Bronze

Re: Materials for studying for MPRE

Post by nachosrgood » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:12 pm

Also curious about this. I'm taking ethics this semester and the test in March.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:38 pm

I used Themis because BAR/BRI required you sign up with them to do it (not that I cared about that, but Themis just handed the books out freely). I understand that the BAR/BRI material was actually better, but Themis was fine. About 3-4 hours of review at the outside and I scored higher than I needed to with plenty of cushion.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:54 pm

BVest wrote:I used Themis because BAR/BRI required you sign up with them to do it (not that I cared about that, but Themis just handed the books out freely). I understand that the BAR/BRI material was actually better, but Themis was fine. About 3-4 hours of review at the outside and I scored higher than I needed to with plenty of cushion.
Do I have to pay my full BAR/BRI tuition before they'll send me this?

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:40 pm

Also how much do I really have to know on top of what I learned in ethics class? Wondering how much time I have to set aside for this shit.

I scored just below median on the exam, but only cause it was curved so tightly. (I got 84/100 points.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:56 pm

3|ink wrote:
BVest wrote:I used Themis because BAR/BRI required you sign up with them to do it (not that I cared about that, but Themis just handed the books out freely). I understand that the BAR/BRI material was actually better, but Themis was fine. About 3-4 hours of review at the outside and I scored higher than I needed to with plenty of cushion.
Do I have to pay my full BAR/BRI tuition before they'll send me this?
I think Barbri will send it to you for free (but 10 bucks shipping 8) ) as part of a "Hey, check out how awesome Barbri stuff is by getting our MPRE course for free" but I could be mistaken. I got it from Barbri but I also paid the $20 1L year to get access to their 1L stuff so maybe that's why the MPRE stuff was "free" for me

The MPRE seems to be the height of TLS'/law students obsession with "Don't study for it other than a token amount of time otherwise you're a loser. You're a law student, dammit, you're supposed to never do anything related to law school" and I think the easiness of the test is a bit overstated. I'd watch the video and at least do one whole practice test (which to be fair you can probably do in the 3-4 hours Bvest mentioned). I took the MPRE the semester I took ethics and I watched the video and did like 1.5 tests (so about 5-6 hours) and got like 104 or something. It was a lot harder/tricker than I expected and thought I failed but that seems to be everyone's experience.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:59 pm

Just watch the free Barbri lectures, following along with their outline, and take a couple of their free online practice tests.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:42 pm

Barbri was free when I did it. It was just barbri student rep at the end of PR class saying "fill out these forms if you want the materials/access and I'll bring books to you next week." Forms, of course, get you on their mailing list, in case you ever got off.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:07 pm

barbri, kaplan, and themis are all free. barbri and kaplan reps make the print materials available completely free at their tables. there's no reason to pay for anything. i think even barmax has free shit.

kaplan: http://www.kaptest.com/Bar-Exam/Free-Pr ... ourse.html

themis: https://www.themisbar.com/mpre

barmax: http://getbarmax.com/barmax-mpre/

------
it's all the same shit. if you literally did the full course, you'd probably spend 80 hours on this thing, when it only takes about 6 hours to pass.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:22 pm

Alright thanks.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:15 pm

Wow this is tricky. I don't know how anyone can get away with studying only six hours for this shit. I'm about 6 hours in now and I just scored a 57%.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:03 pm

Sorry yea for whatever reason you just pass but you don't know the material and you feel like shot after.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:00 am

3|ink wrote:Wow this is tricky. I don't know how anyone can get away with studying only six hours for this shit. I'm about 6 hours in now and I just scored a 57%.
Yeah, that's about right. You're probably right around a 95-105.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ditch digger

Bronze

Post by ditch digger » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:25 am

BVest wrote:
3|ink wrote:Wow this is tricky. I don't know how anyone can get away with studying only six hours for this shit. I'm about 6 hours in now and I just scored a 57%.
Yeah, that's about right. You're probably right around a 95-105.
You can miss a ton of questions on the MPRE and still get a passing score for all jurisdictions. This is probably part of the reason why everyone says "don't study for the MPRE." The MPRE can be tricky and you don't want to scramble to re-take the exam after graduation. That said, I think anything above 20 hours of studying is too much.

Here's a tip: don't spend too much time memorizing the Model Code of Judicial Conduct.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:41 am

Everyone I talked to walked out thinking they'd failed. As far as I know, everyone passed.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:14 am

Wait I don't get it. My state requires a score of 85%. I assumed that means that I have to get 85% of the 50 tested questions correct, right? So I thought that meant that I can't miss more than 7 of the 50.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:10 am

3|ink wrote:Wait I don't get it. My state requires a score of 85%. I assumed that means that I have to get 85% of the 50 tested questions correct, right? So I thought that meant that I can't miss more than 7 of the 50.
It's not a percentage. Its a kooky scoring system like the lsat, I think it's between 50-150. Something like that. 85 is a pretty low bar

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:23 am

BigZuck wrote:
3|ink wrote:Wait I don't get it. My state requires a score of 85%. I assumed that means that I have to get 85% of the 50 tested questions correct, right? So I thought that meant that I can't miss more than 7 of the 50.
It's not a percentage. Its a kooky scoring system like the lsat, I think it's between 50-150. Something like that. 85 is a pretty low bar
Wow. Here I was freaking out. That is a relief.

Moki5

New

Post by Moki5 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:14 pm

Spam.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:51 pm

Well that first post slamming barbri and pimping a bar prep group I'd honestly never heard of before doesn't sound like a planted plug or anything.

I didn't use barbri. I used either Themis or Kaplan. Basically I used whatever did not require me to fill out a form in order to get the materials. Did 25 questions; scored them; figured out where I went wrong with the (nearly 50% I missed); repeated with another 25 questions. And done.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:59 pm

Watched the Themis lecture Thursday night before the test and spent most of Friday doing practice questions.

lacrossebrother wrote:Sorry yea for whatever reason you just pass but you don't know the material and you feel like shot after.
This.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”