Just not sure what I'm doing wrong. Help appreciated Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ConfusedL1

Bronze

Just not sure what I'm doing wrong. Help appreciated

Post by ConfusedL1 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:00 pm

Hey all. Breakdown for me 1L was a bit rough. Straight Bs in all my classes that weren't year long. The problem is that I´m just not sure what I did wrong. I've only met with one professor so far and he really only gave me a pretty unhelpful "you need stronger arguments and analysis." I meet with the others soon.

I feel like I'm really missing something but I'm not sure where to begin. It's probably worth noting that I have As in my year long classes (midterms were given). I know this sounds vague, but I feel like I took good notes and understood the material. The only thing I didn't do was make my own outline from scratch (I used previous students and just modified the hell out of them, a strategy that worked for other classes).

fratstar1

Bronze

Re: Just not sure what I'm doing wrong. Help appreciated

Post by fratstar1 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:18 pm

whats median? sounds like making outlines work for u try it out.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:21 pm

School?

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:22 pm

t14. Median is a 3.2 I believe.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:25 pm

Take more practice tests and look at model answers (even if they're not specifically from your professor).

What T14 has a median of 3.2???

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:13 am

so you're near the bottom third of the class at least... I asked because straight Bs at a t6 isn't that bad... Are you seeing the "forest" before making all the changes to other people's outline? Are you putting on paper the ideas of the professor and the way he likes to refer to things? An outline should be a checklist. You should see each page and understand the concepts completely without having to read about it any further.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:36 pm

ConfusedL1 wrote:Hey all. Breakdown for me 1L was a bit rough. Straight Bs in all my classes that weren't year long. The problem is that I´m just not sure what I did wrong. I've only met with one professor so far and he really only gave me a pretty unhelpful "you need stronger arguments and analysis." I meet with the others soon.

I feel like I'm really missing something but I'm not sure where to begin. It's probably worth noting that I have As in my year long classes (midterms were given). I know this sounds vague, but I feel like I took good notes and understood the material. The only thing I didn't do was make my own outline from scratch (I used previous students and just modified the hell out of them, a strategy that worked for other classes).
Rando advice, take it or leave it. Stop taking notes and listen in class (just take general notes). The professor is TELLING YOU what he / she wants to see on her exam. Read the readings - blows my mind this place's advice to ignore reading and rely on other people's summaries. Your professor makes a plan at the beginning of the year - like any good author, they write the conclusion before filling in the rest. They are TELLING YOU what you need as the year progresses. Granted - this place also says play to your professor, but too often I see "find a A+ outline from the year before". Pet peeve of mine - that outline you're working off was written by an A+ student who wrote it themselves. And to foreclose the "they got it from someone else" argument - someone was the source. And the source will beat you in class if you ever had to test against them.

The professors have given you - spoon feed - given you hours of discussion - on what points they want to hit. "Ignore the readings, get a 2Ls outline, paying attention in class doesn't matter" - jesus christ just listen.

Followers hope the wave they hope to ride carries them along. Leaders make the wave.

EDIT: You didn't say this, but don't be a scrivener. The student writing furiously to make a transcript of the class hasn't heard a word and is constantly playing catch up. Law school isn't verbatim, its concept. Fucking listen. And to put too fine a point on it - no court reporter is a lawyer.

rungoodinc

New

Post by rungoodinc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:24 am

Take more practice tests! At least six weeks before the final.

Also, they're like learning a foreign language. You have to do them consistently (at least an issue spotter or two every day) in order to keep your brain in that kind of mode of thinking.

Bar Slayer

New

Post by Bar Slayer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:40 pm

ConfusedL1 wrote:Hey all. Breakdown for me 1L was a bit rough. Straight Bs in all my classes that weren't year long. The problem is that I´m just not sure what I did wrong. I've only met with one professor so far and he really only gave me a pretty unhelpful "you need stronger arguments and analysis." I meet with the others soon.

Don't discount the possibility of you reading a pattern when it's just noise. Outlining is overrated-what you want to do is do practice exams until you're blue in the face. You know that crappy feeling you get when you are faced with a hypo and aren't confident about how to write out the answer? Better to get that out of your system now, rather than experience that during the actual final.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”