Just got accepted into Cooley. Any others here?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
esq

Re: Just got accepted into Cooley. Any others here?

Postby esq » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:34 am

I can see the argument too, but needing Cooley attorneys doesn't necessarily correlate with needing a "ditch digger" class in the profession. With the glut of dumb asses being pumped out of ABA approved institutions nowadays, the way I see it is that there's a class of law schools that offer you a decent shot at either (1) coming out on top or (2) competing in the Hunger Games for whatever else is left. A decent shot in the Hunger Games scenario means that you're smart enough to actually pass the bar and educated enough to have some respect among your peers.

Cooley's from an entirely different class of law schools, on the other hand. After being financially raped for three years of mediocre education, Cooley students have a decent shot at (3) being drunk or dead in a ditch somewhere.

Skump

Postby Skump » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:19 pm

Cooley students have a decent shot at (3) being drunk or dead in a ditch somewhere.

And probably one they didn't even dig.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:34 am

pancakes3 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Call_Saul

The dream is alive. Why is it people here have to take a fat shit on it? In my long (5 year) and highly prestigious career, I've settled with a dirt bag borderline (if not crossed it) incompetent piece of shit plaintiffs attorney that god damn it would cost my client more to prove how full of shit he was than pay him what is - to my client - nuisance fee. The world needs ditch diggers and Cooley lawyers I suppose - but I've read in Japan they revere even the old-man janitor because he does something that there is a need for - and he's a fucking person putting food on his table for his family.

Am I the only one who sees the incongruence when people say "don't go to law school, unless you go to an elite institution" but who then also say "the legal profession is dying because of the proliferation of cheap labor"? Who is on the dying end of that spectrum?

Whatever point you are trying to make doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I gathered it as something about good needing evil and that without shitstains solo's filing slip and fall cases against Wal Mart, Wal Mart would need less "real" attorneys on retainer.

Making sense is overrated. I meant it more as suggesting that people shouldn't reflexively mock someone who, at their core, is trying to make a better life for him or her self and family. We can pile up all the stats in the world - and for someone, despite it all, going to Cooley advances their life. They are trying to improve themselves, and I guess while Cooley is - Cooley - that can still be an achievement if someone comes from a family where no one went to college, or one of any other possible scenarios where becoming a lawyer at all is still a net positive for their life.

"Act in such a way that you treat humanity, whether in your own person or in the person of any other, never merely as a means to an end, but always at the same time as an end." Kant, my dog, seems relevant here, though I didn't start with that in mind.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:52 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Making sense is overrated. I meant it more as suggesting that people shouldn't reflexively mock someone who, at their core, is trying to make a better life for him or her self and family. We can pile up all the stats in the world - and for someone, despite it all, going to Cooley advances their life. They are trying to improve themselves, and I guess while Cooley is - Cooley - that can still be an achievement if someone comes from a family where no one went to college, or one of any other possible scenarios where becoming a lawyer at all is still a net positive for their life.

"Act in such a way that you treat humanity, whether in your own person or in the person of any other, never merely as a means to an end, but always at the same time as an end." Kant, my dog, seems relevant here, though I didn't start with that in mind.

There probably are people who are better off with a Cooley JD than they were before. The problem is, that population is dwarfed in size by the population of people who have a borderline useless degree and a bunch of non-dischargeable debt. That's what makes Cooley a predatory scam: not that there aren't a few "success" stories, but that those success stories are outweighed by the lives ruined in the quest for more federal loan dollars. They're also preying on the very people you're describing: people who don't have a lot of exposure to higher education or professional circles and assume that any law school must be a great investment.

suboxoneman

Postby suboxoneman » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:19 pm

This is going to be sort of controversial, but for many students going to Cooley will be a less disastrous decision than going to a t6. Just because the opportunity cost is lower at Cooley. Longterm outcomes(Im not all that interested in 9 month outcomes) are generally not real sweet whether you go to Cooley, a t50, duke or HYSCCN. Now it's a matter of degree sure, but the person going to HYSCCN probably had other options at the age of 22-25....since the opportunity cost is higher, the costliness of the decision may be higher even if the average longterm outcome is better.

The biggest mistake so many HYSCCN(and the rest of the top 14) students have in deciding whether or not to go to law school is only looking at the immediate payoff of their first JD requiring job after law school. If it's with a biglaw firm they like(or gov or pi job they wanted), they view it as a success.....that's a mistake. Just because someone gets into a V20 or whatever right out of law school in way means the decision to go to law school was a good one.....give it a decade and then the picture will start to form more clearly.

Me? I think if I were going to commit at least 3 of the best years of my life to something, I'd want to be pretty sure I was building towards a career at that point. I don't think going to law school these days, at any school, provides that.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:28 pm

suboxoneman wrote:This is going to be sort of controversial, but for many students going to Cooley will be a less disastrous decision than going to a t6. Just because the opportunity cost is lower at Cooley. Longterm outcomes(Im not all that interested in 9 month outcomes) are generally not real sweet whether you go to Cooley, a t50, duke or HYSCCN. Now it's a matter of degree sure, but the person going to HYSCCN probably had other options at the age of 22-25....since the opportunity cost is higher, the costliness of the decision may be higher even if the average longterm outcome is better.

The biggest mistake so many HYSCCN(and the rest of the top 14) students have in deciding whether or not to go to law school is only looking at the immediate payoff of their first JD requiring job after law school. If it's with a biglaw firm they like(or gov or pi job they wanted), they view it as a success.....that's a mistake. Just because someone gets into a V20 or whatever right out of law school in way means the decision to go to law school was a good one.....give it a decade and then the picture will start to form more clearly.

Me? I think if I were going to commit at least 3 of the best years of my life to something, I'd want to be pretty sure I was building towards a career at that point. I don't think going to law school these days, at any school, provides that.

georgej

Postby georgej » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:35 pm

suboxoneman, has anyone ever stolen your prescription pad and copped, like, a year's supply of oxycontin with it? If so, you should tell that guy to come post here.

smaug

Postby smaug » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:55 pm

i can't believe the thread created by "funbagsxxx" is still open

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:28 pm

Jason Taverner wrote:i can't believe the thread created by "funbagsxxx" is still open

In fairness, on a cell phone user names are like 3pt font, and funbagsxxx as a user name is pretty funny, which if anything lends an air of legitimacy.

Intranetusa

Postby Intranetusa » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:00 am

Have we determined that the OP is a troll or a extremely & painfully clueless 0L?

Cooley is known to be predatory with fraudulent job statistics, and making up their own ranking system where they rank themselves as a top law school. They have one of the worst post-graduation job statistics, one of the worst employment salaries, one of the worst/highest tuition rates (almost as much as the ivies), and probably has the worst reputation of any law school in America.

Cooley is one of the worst law schools in the country (considered among the bottom of the bottom bin), and is a laughing stock among the legal community. Putting Cooley on your resume is like putting University of Phoenix on your resume - any employer will laugh and throw it in the garbage bin.

smaug

Postby smaug » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:43 am

Intranetusa wrote:Have we determined that the OP is a troll or a extremely & painfully clueless 0L?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”