Is Editorial Board Worth it?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Eveningstudent

Is Editorial Board Worth it?

Postby Eveningstudent » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:46 pm

Hey Everyone:

Just wanted to get a couple of opinions:

I currently just got a 2L Evening Summer Associate Position (the equivalent to a 1L SA) at a V50 firm through a diversity fellowship in NY (Did not get the SA through the Firm's Diversity Fellowship Program).

Barring anything disastrous that occurs during the summer, NALP information, and other student's advise who have gone through the fellowship and have been placed at similar caliber firms, they will most likely give me a call back to go back next summer, and then subsequently offer me a full-time position at the firm after graduation.

I'm currently in the top 10% at my school after 3 semesters, and just have to make sure to keep it up until the end of this semester so that I can sit in a comfortable position for OCI at the end of the summer.

Which brings me to the following question:

I'm currently on a secondary journal at my school, and was wondering if I should apply to be one of the Notes & Articles Editors during my 3L Evening Year.

When it comes to OCI, Are there any benefits that would give me an advantage from the other 1Ls, who will most likely not have had any BigLaw SA positions during their 1L summers and who don't have any journal experience.

In sum, is it worth for me to apply to be on the E-Board?

Thanks for your opinion in advance.

ymmv

Re: Is Editorial Board Worth it?

Postby ymmv » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:16 pm

Even if there were some slight, unquantifiable advantage somewhere way down the road, I can't imagine hating myself enough to willingly do a second year of journal.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:31 pm

In sum, no.

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:51 am

It always baffles me how law students tell people not to do something only because it means more work. No wonder so many TLSers end up crying about how much they hate BigLaw and being forced to work more than 40 hours a week.

To OP - there is no downside to having a journal editorial position. You just need to decide if the time commitment is worth it for you. Esp given that its a secondary journal, there's likely little upside. However, if you're particularly interested clerking then it will likely be worthwhile.

ditch digger

Postby ditch digger » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:12 am

bearsfan23 wrote: To OP - there is no downside to having a journal editorial position. You just need to decide if the time commitment is worth it for you. Esp given that its a secondary journal, there's likely little upside. However, if you're particularly interested clerking then it will likely be worthwhile.

I second this. I was the EIC of my school's secondary journal and I absolutely despised the position. Furthermore, I don't believe this experience helped me out in my job search. In retrospect, however, I'm glad that I did it.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:14 am

Eveningstudent wrote:Hey Everyone:

Just wanted to get a couple of opinions:

I currently just got a 2L Evening Summer Associate Position (the equivalent to a 1L SA) at a V50 firm through a diversity fellowship in NY (Did not get the SA through the Firm's Diversity Fellowship Program).

Barring anything disastrous that occurs during the summer, NALP information, and other student's advise who have gone through the fellowship and have been placed at similar caliber firms, they will most likely give me a call back to go back next summer, and then subsequently offer me a full-time position at the firm after graduation.

I'm currently in the top 10% at my school after 3 semesters, and just have to make sure to keep it up until the end of this semester so that I can sit in a comfortable position for OCI at the end of the summer.

Which brings me to the following question:

I'm currently on a secondary journal at my school, and was wondering if I should apply to be one of the Notes & Articles Editors during my 3L Evening Year.

When it comes to OCI, Are there any benefits that would give me an advantage from the other 1Ls, who will most likely not have had any BigLaw SA positions during their 1L summers and who don't have any journal experience.

In sum, is it worth for me to apply to be on the E-Board?

Thanks for your opinion in advance.

No. They only care about your grades and even though you have a SA, if your grades suck, they will no longer care about you. The only thing that matters are your grades. Also, if it's not Editor of Law Review, then don't waste your time. You have done enough. Just continue to be in the Top 10%. That is all that matters. I had a 1L SA and no one cared about that because my grades sucked. Law school is a game that teaches you nothing. You are best to do the least amount of work while getting the most benefits. Do not waste your time with some bs E-Board position on a secondary journal.

Eveningstudent

Postby Eveningstudent » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:47 pm

Thanks for all the advice. It seems pretty unanimous that being on the E-Board is not worth it. Also, an an evening student. I'm already strapped for time and I wouldn't want to drive myself insane come next year.

I'm just going to continue working to stay in the top 10% at school and position myself to split next summer (granted if the Firm that I have my Sa for this summer gives me a invitation to come back next year)

Thanks All.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:25 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:It always baffles me how law students tell people not to do something only because it means more work. No wonder so many TLSers end up crying about how much they hate BigLaw and being forced to work more than 40 hours a week.

This isn't why people dislike biglaw.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:02 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:It always baffles me how law students tell people not to do something only because it means more work. No wonder so many TLSers end up crying about how much they hate BigLaw and being forced to work more than 40 hours a week.

Yup. And a difference being that at least in BL you might delivering actual work product that, while maybe dubious in value, someone at least gives half a shit about. Whereas law school journal is the most head-up-its-ass shitty and pointless waste of tim I've been a part of, surrounded by possible sociopaths who've decided it's the most important enterprise in human history.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:04 pm

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:21 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Okay, from your experience working in BigLaw, what is it then?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:27 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Okay, from your experience working in BigLaw, what is it then?

I don't work in biglaw, but I don't have to, because you were talking about why TLSers hate big law. I spend way more time than is healthy reading posts here, and TLSers unanimously make clear it's not about the number of hours - it's the unpredictability of hours, inability to plan ahead because of the unpredictability of the hours, the lack of control over when you do what you have to do (e.g. you sit in your office all day doing nothing then at 5 a partner comes by and says "I need this by tomorrow morning" so you pull an all-nighter), along with the fun things like doc review, screaming partners, tyrannical midlevels, inconsistent directions, making binders, etc. etc. No one thinks they're going to get paid $160k to work 40 hours a week.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”