Law Review EIC Vetting Process

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BrooklynLaw16
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby BrooklynLaw16 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:18 pm

I'm running for EIC of law review, and they want a personal statement in addition to 2 rounds of interviews. If you've been on a law review E-board before, or have knowledge about the process, I'd be interested to know (1) what makes a personal statement for EIC stand out from the crowd? And (2) what are some likely questions and strong answers for an EIC interview?

They already know that I can write well and bluebook, as I've proven this through the weekly bluebooking assignments and my well-written note. I assume that during this vetting process, they're looking for leadership qualities, the ability to delegate to others, the ability to discipline slackers effectively, and the overall ability to manage the affairs of the law review. Please let me know if I'm missing something here.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby rpupkin » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:24 pm

It's a popularity contest. Be likable.

BrooklynLaw16
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby BrooklynLaw16 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:38 pm

Would it be appropriate to include a joke in the footnote of the personal statement? Or should it be completely serious, like a cover letter?

irish921
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby irish921 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:51 pm

rpupkin wrote:It's a popularity contest. Be likable.


TCR. Know your 2L class in determining whether a jokey personal statement will be beneficial. But more than likely, people won't even read them. I know I didn't. It will all come down to the in-person performance segment, if your journal does that.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22808
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:21 pm

What is the in-person performance section? Like a campaign speech? We just had personal statements.

And back channel lobbying, of course. Looooooots of back-channel lobbying.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:20 pm

Having recently sat through our board interviews...

Don't be an overpowering personality, but be likeable. Have plans for improvement, but not total overhaul (because it would never happen and would just cause drama). Be able to talk about how you'd work with different personalities. Appear calmly confident and competent; don't channel Tracy Flick or a F500 CEO or a sorority social chair. Be genuinely willing to take a lower board position and be able to talk about how you'd be able to work under someone else as EIC, and why all board spots are important. Don't appear too cliquey with anyone else who is applying, like "[X] and I have such amazing plans for doing [Y]" because X might not get elected even if you do.

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:25 pm

I'm not even on Law Journal, but I predicted the top three vote-getters with ease. It's a popularity contest, and if you convince people you have one innovative idea then even better.

arklaw13
Posts: 1703
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby arklaw13 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:35 pm

I disagree with the popularity contest mentality. For our LR, the 3Ls are the ones who vote for next year's board, although the 2Ls have a hand in making their preferences known. I supported the people I thought would do the best job, not necessarily the people I like the most. I don't want to do much LR work 3L, and having a shitty board could lead to me doing a lot more work. If you make shit run smoothly I give zero fucks whether or not you're a social retard.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby rpupkin » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:38 pm

arklaw13 wrote:If you make shit run smoothly I give zero fucks whether or not you're a social retard.

If an EIC is a social retard, shit will not run smoothly.

I appreciate you sharing your perspective, but I really don't think it's representative of how most folks view EIC elections.

User avatar
Kratos
Posts: 6758
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby Kratos » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:39 pm

arklaw13 wrote:I disagree with the popularity contest mentality. For our LR, the 3Ls are the ones who vote for next year's board, although the 2Ls have a hand in making their preferences known. I supported the people I thought would do the best job, not necessarily the people I like the most. I don't want to do much LR work 3L, and having a shitty board could lead to me doing a lot more work. If you make shit run smoothly I give zero fucks whether or not you're a social retard.

so it's still a popularity contest, not like 3Ls are voting for the dude/chick they've never met or hate

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:53 pm

rpupkin wrote:It's a popularity contest. Be likable.

arklaw13
Posts: 1703
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby arklaw13 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:33 pm

Kratos wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:I disagree with the popularity contest mentality. For our LR, the 3Ls are the ones who vote for next year's board, although the 2Ls have a hand in making their preferences known. I supported the people I thought would do the best job, not necessarily the people I like the most. I don't want to do much LR work 3L, and having a shitty board could lead to me doing a lot more work. If you make shit run smoothly I give zero fucks whether or not you're a social retard.

so it's still a popularity contest, not like 3Ls are voting for the dude/chick they've never met or hate


I imagine the current board picks who it wants and the rest of the 3Ls fall in line because who gives a shit.

I'll admit that the popularity contest and my conception of the process probably overlap because it's all based on perception. Someone who is confident, poised, and seems responsible is probably also going to be generally likeable.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:39 pm

Why would you ever want to be EIC

BrooklynLaw16
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby BrooklynLaw16 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:02 am

What about talking about the goal of law review (prominent scholarly publication) in the context of improving my school's reputation in academia? Is this necessary or would it even be useful?

I'm interested more in the actual topics of discussion. I understand the social sub-communications that need to be conveyed.

WHJTMG178
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:39 pm

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby WHJTMG178 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:26 am

jbagelboy wrote:Why would you ever want to be EIC

BrooklynLaw16
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby BrooklynLaw16 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:51 am

WHJTMG178 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Why would you ever want to be EIC


I don't know if this is a suggestion or an actual question. Assuming it's a question, this is just a derivation of "why would you ever want to be a lawyer?" Many people say it sucks, and they can highlight the negative aspects all day long, but people still do it right?

SCOTUS clerk applications, 3L OCI lateral, and overall career booster. Plus it's a paid position at my school.

But the credited answer if asked this during an interview is something along the lines of "because my demonstrated skill set, passion for legal acadmia, and hard work ethic will enable me to promote the goals of the law review." Feedback?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:30 am

BrooklynLaw16 wrote:
WHJTMG178 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Why would you ever want to be EIC


I don't know if this is a suggestion or an actual question. Assuming it's a question, this is just a derivation of "why would you ever want to be a lawyer?" Many people say it sucks, and they can highlight the negative aspects all day long, but people still do it right?

SCOTUS clerk applications, 3L OCI lateral, and overall career booster. Plus it's a paid position at my school.


I'm not sure this response deserves an actual answer but I'm a little afraid someone will be led astray and there needs to be a competing ethos out there. I'm surely not it's best representative but I'll attempt pith. IMO the fact you get paid for the position is legit, although I'm sure it's underpaid. All due respect for your ambition the rest is garbage.

No, it's not remotely similar to why you'd want to be a lawyer. One is a career you choose for decades hopefully because you substantively enjoy elements of the work: serving as an advocate, helping clients solve problems, reading, research and writing hopefully on occasional topics of interest, the stability/remuneration or gratification of public service depending on which sector you're in, ect. EIC is just another dick measuring contest for uber strivers that lasts 8-10 months, adds tens of hours per week to your 3L (most relaxed) year and has very little substance. Do you seriously think your law review is promoting valuable academic scholarship? Do you think you are serving that noble goal that much better as a glorified manager than as an articles or submissions editor? You're doing it because you think it looks just a sliver more impressive to your peers or your parents or a future employer. Not because it's the career you've chosen. I don't just "do things" even though they suck because I see a few others trying to do them. That's the misery for dummies handbook.

As for the "tangible" benefits you list, SCOTUS? Hubris much? Are you seriously suggesting becoming editor in chief of law review at your school will make you eligible for a supreme court clerkship? Why do you need to do 3L OCI unless you're changing markets or struck out? What's wrong with where you are summering now? Maybe there is, but have you actually thought about this or is it just a throw away rationalization for over-ambition? Career boost - cost/benefit man! Is that extra 10-20 hours worth it for the slimmest margin or margins?

This is our curse! This is the sophoclean rite of the law student!

User avatar
Kratos
Posts: 6758
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby Kratos » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:34 pm

BrooklynLaw16 wrote:
WHJTMG178 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Why would you ever want to be EIC


I don't know if this is a suggestion or an actual question. Assuming it's a question, this is just a derivation of "why would you ever want to be a lawyer?" Many people say it sucks, and they can highlight the negative aspects all day long, but people still do it right?

SCOTUS clerk applications, 3L OCI lateral, and overall career booster. Plus it's a paid position at my school.

But the credited answer if asked this during an interview is something along the lines of "because my demonstrated skill set, passion for legal acadmia, and hard work ethic will enable me to promote the goals of the law review." Feedback?

please describe this passion for legal academia. actually please don't.

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby Cicero76 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:47 pm

Pretty much every EIC at our school gets SCOTUS. The EIC job is disgustingly time consuming and awful though; I wouldn't do it.

BrooklynLaw16
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby BrooklynLaw16 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:32 pm

Kratos wrote:
BrooklynLaw16 wrote:
WHJTMG178 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Why would you ever want to be EIC


I don't know if this is a suggestion or an actual question. Assuming it's a question, this is just a derivation of "why would you ever want to be a lawyer?" Many people say it sucks, and they can highlight the negative aspects all day long, but people still do it right?

SCOTUS clerk applications, 3L OCI lateral, and overall career booster. Plus it's a paid position at my school.

But the credited answer if asked this during an interview is something along the lines of "because my demonstrated skill set, passion for legal acadmia, and hard work ethic will enable me to promote the goals of the law review." Feedback?

please describe this passion for legal academia. actually please don't.


TLS should have a big logo on the front page "Jaded lawyers, come here to let out your frustrations!"

For real, it's almost as bad as the kids in grade school complaining about math class (except the lawyers had a choice).

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:46 pm

BrooklynLaw16 wrote:
Kratos wrote:
BrooklynLaw16 wrote:passion for legal acadmia [...] will enable me to promote the goals of the law review."

please describe this passion for legal academia. actually please don't.


TLS should have a big logo on the front page "Jaded lawyers, come here to let out your frustrations!"

For real, it's almost as bad as the kids in grade school complaining about math class (except the lawyers had a choice).


your passion for law review editor is about this old

User avatar
swampman
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby swampman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:00 pm

Cicero76 wrote:Pretty much every EIC at our school gets SCOTUS. The EIC job is disgustingly time consuming and awful though; I wouldn't do it.

Doesn't pretty much everybody at Yale get SCOTUS anyway? I thought that was how it worked.

kpr86
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:13 am

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby kpr86 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:09 pm

BrooklynLaw16 wrote:Would it be appropriate to include a joke in the footnote of the personal statement? Or should it be completely serious, like a cover letter?


You seem like a complete douche. A joke in a footnote of a personal statement? Seems pretty dumb and worse to ask for advice on it. I would work to make sure you were not EIC. Thankfully, I work at a firm where the partner is normal and hires normal associates. I can already tell how annoying of a student you are and worse how annoying you will be as an attorney.

User avatar
tortsandtiaras
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby tortsandtiaras » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:18 pm

kpr86 wrote:
BrooklynLaw16 wrote:Would it be appropriate to include a joke in the footnote of the personal statement? Or should it be completely serious, like a cover letter?


You seem like a complete douche. A joke in a footnote of a personal statement? Seems pretty dumb and worse to ask for advice on it. I would work to make sure you were not EIC. Thankfully, I work at a firm where the partner is normal and hires normal associates. I can already tell how annoying of a student you are and worse how annoying you will be as an attorney.


Well this was uncalled for...

User avatar
Kratos
Posts: 6758
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: Law Review EIC Vetting Process

Postby Kratos » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:32 pm

BrooklynLaw16 wrote:
Kratos wrote:
BrooklynLaw16 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Why would you ever want to be EIC


I don't know if this is a suggestion or an actual question. Assuming it's a question, this is just a derivation of "why would you ever want to be a lawyer?" Many people say it sucks, and they can highlight the negative aspects all day long, but people still do it right?

SCOTUS clerk applications, 3L OCI lateral, and overall career booster. Plus it's a paid position at my school.

But the credited answer if asked this during an interview is something along the lines of "because my demonstrated skill set, passion for legal acadmia, and hard work ethic will enable me to promote the goals of the law review." Feedback?

please describe this passion for legal academia. actually please don't.


TLS should have a big logo on the front page "Jaded lawyers, come here to let out your frustrations!"

For real, it's almost as bad as the kids in grade school complaining about math class (except the lawyers had a choice).

I was just giving feedback to your shitty answer for why EIC.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests