How many hours do you read/brief for a typical day of class?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

How many hours do you spend reading/briefing for a typical day of class?

<2 hrs
33%
2 hrs
12%
3 hrs
26%
4 hrs
14%
5 hrs
5%
6 hrs
3%
7 hrs
1%
8 hrs
1%
9 hrs
1%
10+ hrs
5%

Total votes: 113

notgreat

Re: How many hours do you read/brief for a typical day of class?

Postby notgreat » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 am

bjsesq wrote:
mx23250 wrote:I'm amazed at how TLS is all about studying 24/7 using hardcore tactics with "no score is ever good enough" for the LSAT but then takes a "I'm too cool to study" and corner cutting approach once in law school

Perfect analogy. No problems there.

Yep. Mx, people stop studying when they are 2Ls and "have" jobs. Or after first semester when they realize that going balls to the wall all semester has negative returns. Or because they go to schools where even people below median have better than a coins flip chance of getting big law.

star fox

Postby star fox » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:11 am

mx23250 wrote:I'm amazed at how TLS is all about studying 24/7 using hardcore tactics with "no score is ever good enough" for the LSAT but then takes a "I'm too cool to study" and corner cutting approach once in law school

Most people are probably bullshitting/false remembering about how little they studied at least as a 1L. Most 1Ls woto hard. I can't even quantify it for myself since there's so much variance.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:35 pm

Where is the "No" option?

The Dark Shepard

Postby The Dark Shepard » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:56 am

Well I spend a lot more time then that distracting myself from my reading, so it ends up being a lot more. I also get most of my readings done on the weekend afternoons.

banjo

Postby banjo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:29 pm

As a 2L you just get more efficient. The 1Ls taking Corps as an elective probably do 10x as much work as I do for that class, but we'll be equally ready for the exam.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:01 pm

banjo wrote:As a 2L you just get more efficient. The 1Ls taking Corps as an elective probably do 10x as much work as I do for that class, but we'll be equally ready for the exam.

i think in some cases it's not efficiency so much as getting more experienced at tests and studying 8 hrs/day vs. 1 hr/day maybe being worth like .1-.2 per semester. at some point the cost-benefit changes.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:53 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
banjo wrote:As a 2L you just get more efficient. The 1Ls taking Corps as an elective probably do 10x as much work as I do for that class, but we'll be equally ready for the exam.

i think in some cases it's not efficiency so much as getting more experienced at tests and studying 8 hrs/day vs. 1 hr/day maybe being worth like .1-.2 per semester. at some point the cost-benefit changes.
I would say it also has to do with knowing that cold calls and impressing the professor don't matter too much. A lot of 2Ls slack off for the semester and then cram at the end of the semester. If you have a schedule that's mixed with paper classes and clinics, you could easily have a schedule that only has two exams. When you have two exams and 14 days total during exam period to cram for those exams, you can effectively learn the entire course if you sit down for a six days and just read and outline (and do papers in between). You also likely can pick out what's important more efficiently from having already done that for a year.

Some also move away from actually taking practice tests in 1L to just outlining answers in 2L (or just looking at the test format). Familiarity comes in here and goes a long way, especially if it's a professor you has before.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:08 pm

If you still brief all your classes even as a 2nd semester 1L, you're doing it wrong. When the hell do you people find time to write if you're already redline amped at 8+ hrs a day of only reading?

thomzzz

Postby thomzzz » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:20 am

It really depends on the class. I always read, but I do not brief and I don't even attempt to impress anyone on the off chance that I'm cold called. I feel like just to get through the material enough to understand the principles it takes about 3 hrs per class. I can seriously cut that time down though if I need to by just looking up the relevant case briefs online.

wbaseball4ever

Postby wbaseball4ever » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:13 pm

I feel like this is the most accurate description of how much reading/briefing gets done: http://lifeinlawschool.com/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-law-student-1l/

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”