Please help law student and ex-law student collect data!!

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
PunkedbyReality

Please help law student and ex-law student collect data!!

Postby PunkedbyReality » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:25 am

I left law school to go into consulting and it was the one of the best decisions I’ve made professionally. For my best friend from school, law school was a fit and Big Law in NYC made sense.

We're now researching the characteristics of law students who excel and thrive within law school. The hope is that we’ll be able to share our findings with future law students and help them make better decisions in deciding whether to go to school and which school to attend.

Please take 60 seconds to fill out this survey and enter a drawing to win a $100 Amazon gift card: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1stNbRnAlS0J5DEJmmL_JIvqWGNBBzgSMydKoXgQcPCE/edit?usp=sharing

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Re: Please help law student and ex-law student collect data!!

Postby lacrossebrother » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:31 am

Please provide more details on the project. Who are you? What do you do with the data and how exactly do you plan to use the data? what are the odds of winning the gift card? Do you plan to release something at the end of this year or is this longitudinal?

Otherwise this is spam and creepy.

PunkedbyReality

Postby PunkedbyReality » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:02 am

lacrossebrother wrote:Please provide more details on the project. Who are you? What do you do with the data and how exactly do you plan to use the data? what are the odds of winning the gift card? Do you plan to release something at the end of this year or is this longitudinal?

Otherwise this is spam and creepy.

I went to a top-15 law school and so did my best friend. After one semester, I left school and went into management consulting. My friend is still in law school but will go to a Vault-10 firm in NYC after graduating. Our vastly different experiences in law school led to hours and hours of conversations about approaching law school as an investment decision, and one that probably needs more investment analysis than it gets from many students.

With the data, we'll create an investment analysis tool that allows potential law students to know the expected value of attending a specific law school(s). We'll need the data from this survey in order to build this tool. The goal is to get a better idea of what it is about the law students that succeed, and share what we find with potential law students so they can make a better investment decision in choosing a law school, or whether to go at all.

There is a roughly 1-2% chance of winning the gift card. But that will also depend on how many responses we get.

We plan to release something before the next law school application cycle, so before next fall. Although, it also depends on how long it takes to get adequate data.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:36 am

Your ranking is odd. Shouldn't you have top 5%, rather than bottom? That's how schools rank, not like quartiles like in other subjects or areas.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:39 am

But you can't know the expected value of going to law school without knowing whether you will enjoy practicing law (in one of the positions that are available right out of a good law school), and those people are often not the people who enjoy law school, or who excel there. Whether you do well in law school isn't a great proxy for whether you should go there (unless of course you go to a bad school, in which case it is at least a prerequisite, although still not determinative of actual
success, i.e. a job you can stand).

Cogburn87

Postby Cogburn87 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:56 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:But you can't know the expected value of going to law school without knowing whether you will enjoy practicing law (in one of the positions that are available right out of a good law school), and those people are often not the people who enjoy law school, or who excel there. Whether you do well in law school isn't a great proxy for whether you should go there (unless of course you go to a bad school, in which case it is at least a prerequisite, although still not determinative of actual
success, i.e. a job you can stand).

I dunno, man. His friend is going to a V10. No one has ever regretted that. Seems like law school was a great fit.

Strangely Appealing

Postby Strangely Appealing » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:46 am

researching the characteristics of law students who excel and thrive within law school

I'm perplexed. The survey gathers very little information on actual student characteristics other than prior exposure to legal practice and hours of study. It would seem the tool you'll produce would have to be very rudimentary in terms of being advisory for 0Ls.

Is it instead to produce a marketing tool? A way to pull in 0L traffic so that they can be sold services and products to help them, ummm, excel?

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:36 pm

Strangely Appealing wrote:
researching the characteristics of law students who excel and thrive within law school

I'm perplexed. The survey gathers very little information on actual student characteristics other than prior exposure to legal practice and hours of study. It would seem the tool you'll produce would have to be very rudimentary in terms of being advisory for 0Ls.

Is it instead to produce a marketing tool? A way to pull in 0L traffic so that they can be sold services and products to help them, ummm, excel?

Yeah, surely OP's motives are altruistic and in no way motivated by an intent to somehow monetize this data. Surprised this wasn't locked but it is ambiguous and I don't run this place.

mandimeoutof10

Postby mandimeoutof10 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:33 pm

PunkedbyReality wrote:I went to a top-15 law school

UT like HAAAAAIIII!!!!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”