Recent Merger of Law Schools in Minnesota

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kykiske

Recent Merger of Law Schools in Minnesota

Postby kykiske » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:35 pm

William Mitchell and Hamline to merge into one law school:

http://www.startribune.com/local/stpaul/291856891.html

What are people's thoughts?

From what I understand, both schools are currently outside of the top-100, per US News.

Ron Don Volante

Re: Recent Merger of Law Schools in Minnesota

Postby Ron Don Volante » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:47 pm

Minneapolis is saturated af. The market would be properly served with just UMn and one of the other three. This is a good thing, but I'm pretty shocked WM is the one biting the bullet here. Thought they were a clear step above St Thomas and Hamline.

secadc11

Postby secadc11 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:58 pm

bl1nds1ght

Postby bl1nds1ght » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:02 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:Minneapolis is saturated af. The market would be properly served with just UMn and one of the other three. This is a good thing, but I'm pretty shocked WM is the one biting the bullet here. Thought they were a clear step above St Thomas and Hamline.

Completely agree. Surprised that the recently re-accredited UST made it through considering its high unemployment compared to Willy.

I was thinking that Hamline would just straight up close and vanish into the night.

The Dark Shepard

Postby The Dark Shepard » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:02 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:Minneapolis is saturated af. The market would be properly served with just UMn and one of the other three. This is a good thing, but I'm pretty shocked WM is the one biting the bullet here. Thought they were a clear step above St Thomas and Hamline.

WM doesn't have the backing of a full university behind it though.

lizalew11

Postby lizalew11 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:43 pm

UST has done surprisingly well, at least in the Twin Cities, for a 12-year-old law school. They have graduates at every big Minnesota firm and consistently have top-ten faculty and practical training in the Princeton Review. Not to mention they have a lot of money...

That was the real problem with WM, they live off of tuition money and their enrollment was down. Don't let the "merger" fool you, Hamline is folding, and WM is taking the money Hamline University offered (ironic, since that was what UST offered WM 12 years ago...) Hamline's 1L class last year was less than 70 students.

Sirius Blackstone

Postby Sirius Blackstone » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:51 pm

Seems like Mitchell is getting the better end of the deal here, though, getting to keep its administration and having its building become the main campus. Maybe this shouldn't really be viewed as a merger and more as an acquisition.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”