how do I study for finals w/o model answers

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Kimikho

how do I study for finals w/o model answers

Postby Kimikho » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:27 pm

chuckbass

Re: how do I study for finals w/o model answers

Postby chuckbass » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:46 pm

Do you have practice tests at least? The most helpful thing for me last semester was getting my mentor's answers to the practice tests and trying to emulate that.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:51 pm

Last edited by jk148706 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Avian

Postby Avian » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:16 pm

Compare answers with other students and talk to the professor about the exams during office hours. Some professors will actually tell you a lot about what they want to see.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:42 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Do you have practice tests at least? The most helpful thing for me last semester was getting my mentor's answers to the practice tests and trying to emulate that.

Visiting professor, all the tests are from like 2002 :|

cyrilfiggis

Postby cyrilfiggis » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:02 am

If your class has a Siegel's book or something comparable with sample essay questions and model answers those were helpful to me in my classes w/o model answers last semester

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:48 am

Study your source material. I never took a law school exam where the answer to the question was not at least something touched on in the text. How to study? Like normal - make your outline and learn the material and not be a parrot waiting to be fed the pre-approved answer. Learn to think. Sorry for the soapboxishness, but you sort of capture what I dislike about TLS. All this emphasis on "find the upperclassman(woman)'s outline who got an A, rely on professors exams" - you know, people used to learn law by fucking studying cases. Then apparently time became the commodity it now is and people forgot how to execute fucking independent thought and learning - or never learning how to fucking think in the first place.

What will you do, on the spot, faced with novel argument from intelligent opposing counsel who wants your client to lose the million dollar case? "Der der der, someone tell me what to do because I'm fucking a fucking sheep idiot who cannot think for myself. Will you help me der?"

You know who aces a class where the prof provides no model exams? Inherently smart, creative students who put in hard work learning the material. There is your answer. Fucking work for it.
Last edited by NotMyRealName09 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

utahraptor

Postby utahraptor » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:50 am

Why are you worried about this right now?

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:51 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Study your source material. I never took a law school exam where the answer to the question was not at least something touched on in the text. How to study? Like normal - make your outline and learn the material and not be a parrot waiting to be fed the pre-approved answer. Learn to think. Sorry for the soapboxishness, but you sort of capture what I dislike about TLS. All this emphasis on "find the upperclassman(woman)'s outline who got an A, rely on professors exams" - you know, people used to learn law by fucking studying cases. Then apparently time became the commodity it now and people forgot how to execute fucking independent thought and learning.

You know who aces a class where the prof provides no model exams? Inherently smart, creative students who put in hard work learning the material. There is your answer. Fucking work for it.

bootstraps!

eta: also, be inherently smart and creative
Last edited by UnicornHunter on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:51 am

Are model answers a regular thing at other schools?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:51 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Study your source material. I never took a law school exam where the answer to the question was not at least something touched on in the text. How to study? Like normal - make your outline and learn the material and not be a parrot waiting to be fed the pre-approved answer. Learn to think. Sorry for the soapboxishness, but you sort of capture what I dislike about TLS. All this emphasis on "find the upperclassman(woman)'s outline who got an A, rely on professors exams" - you know, people used to learn law by fucking studying cases. Then apparently time became the commodity it now and people forgot how to execute fucking independent thought and learning.

Wouldn't the smartest, most creative students work towards maximizing efficiency though?

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:54 am

Do your shit from your outline, and you'll realize when you don't know the law. Then thank god you have the opportunity to look it up on westlaw with zero pressure. Then add it to your outline.

The thing about law school exams is that you're pretty rarely ever flat incorrect. I guess you could completely just miss shit on an issue spotter bc you blanked...but i feel like you should basically recognize "hmmm this seems like it could be important but i dont really know the answer now." so then you fucking look it up.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:57 am

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:20 am

utahraptor wrote:Why are you worried about this right now?

Professor just announced there was no model answers.

All my classes had model answers last quarter (or at least, student answers, or vague "answer keys").

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Study your source material. I never took a law school exam where the answer to the question was not at least something touched on in the text. How to study? Like normal - make your outline and learn the material and not be a parrot waiting to be fed the pre-approved answer. Learn to think. Sorry for the soapboxishness, but you sort of capture what I dislike about TLS. All this emphasis on "find the upperclassman(woman)'s outline who got an A, rely on professors exams" - you know, people used to learn law by fucking studying cases. Then apparently time became the commodity it now is and people forgot how to execute fucking independent thought and learning - or never learning how to fucking think in the first place.

What will you do, on the spot, faced with novel argument from intelligent opposing counsel who wants your client to lose the million dollar case? "Der der der, someone tell me what to do because I'm fucking a fucking sheep idiot who cannot think for myself. Will you help me der?"

This was a proportionate response.
Last edited by Kimikho on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:22 am

utahraptor wrote:Why are you worried about this right now?

Quarter system.

utahraptor

Postby utahraptor » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:32 am

But seriously, you'll be fine. If you think you can work out a system to exams from model answers, you're either an evil genius, or (more likely) you're deluding yourself.

This might shock you, but I always had model answers available and rarely read them. That's because most model answers are either far too perfect (written by the professor/without time constraints) or they're awful, because even A exams are, most often, verbal train wrecks.

If you have past exams, you're fine. I'm serious, you're fine.

Kimikho wrote:Sometimes, people like knowing how professors personally like their exams to be argued. You know--like how a judge might have a specific way for a brief to be argued.

But mostly, people don't like assholes.

You know who also aces a class with no model answers, in addition to people who "work hard"? People who luck out. HTH.

I like you, but this post is a mixture of delusion, naïveté, neuroticism, and ironic assholishness.

Calm down.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:25 am

Yeah I kinda brutted out there :oops:

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:33 am

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:33 am

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:14 pm

Find exam/model answers from a bunch of other professors. If it is a 1L doctrinal class, there's only so much variation between professors. It's better than nothing. Use those exams to practice issue spotting, and then just make sure you apply what your professor taught you.

rahulg91

Postby rahulg91 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:40 pm

jk148706 wrote:had a class w/ no model answers last semester. I found another smart student in the class and we just compared answers. idk what else you can do

+1. Also,
FIND A 2L AND GET THEIR MODEL ANSWERS.

star fox

Postby star fox » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:11 pm

Lol I could never in good conscience give away my practice exam answers because they were terrible. That's part of the process imo.

anyriotgirl

Postby anyriotgirl » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:41 pm

I revoke your dispensation

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:35 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:I revoke your dispensation

:(

justified, though

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”