How do you feel about law school? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

How do you feel about law school?

I love it!!!
20%
I like it.
25%
It's okay.
32%
I don't like it.
8%
I hate it.
7%
Everyday for me is a living hell.
8%

Total votes: 236

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: How do you feel about law school?

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:55 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:
anon369 wrote:a phrase I haven't heard since beginning law school: "I know what you mean."

Law students are the worst, and I oscillate between having compassion for them (because it must be terrible to be so awful), and resenting them for making me feel worthless and bitter. I'm really lucky to go to a school that will put me in a good spot post-grad, but I'm terrified that these types of people will be surrounding me for the rest of my life.
yeah the people are def the shittiest thing about this presentation.
Maybe I've just been lucky in my section, but I haven't really had this experience (yet). There is the occasional nakedly ambitious dork or the Asperger-y weirdo (sometimes combined in the same person) but the vast majority of people are perfectly nice and sane.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:12 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Maybe I've just been lucky in my section, but I haven't really had this experience (yet). There is the occasional nakedly ambitious dork or the Asperger-y weirdo (sometimes combined in the same person) but the vast majority of people are perfectly nice and sane.
Same. There's certainly been some shitheads in my school/section, but I've met plenty of cool people, and am even luckier to know that a few of my friends (you know, the actual friend you make in law school) are working at the same office I am after graduation. There are certainly people I dislike at my school, but there are more than a few people that I genuinely like as well.

KM2016

Bronze

Post by KM2016 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:36 am

Law school wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be. I was at a lower T1 regional that was naturally pretty cutthroat for biglaw jobs, and I still had an awesome experience. I met some of my best friends in law school, lived the "work hard play hard" lifestyle, and still did exceedingly well and landed a great career.

While I still think the decision to attend law school should ultimately be a financial decision, it's not as hard as people say.

Honeysuckle

Bronze

Post by Honeysuckle » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:36 am

I fucking hate my law school. Love the practice of law.

Stevoman

Bronze

Post by Stevoman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:04 pm

I have liked law school less and less every semester. 3LOL is real, y'all.
Honeysuckle wrote:I fucking hate my law school. Love the practice of law.
...aren't you the 1.5L who just had the 7-page C&F thread about getting back into law school? Pretty sure you have to finish before you can start talking about the practice of law...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:42 pm

Stevoman wrote:I have liked law school less and less every semester. 3LOL is real, y'all.
this seems contradictory

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:49 pm

anon369 wrote:a phrase I haven't heard since beginning law school: "I know what you mean."

Law students are the worst, and I oscillate between having compassion for them (because it must be terrible to be so awful), and resenting them for making me feel worthless and bitter. I'm really lucky to go to a school that will put me in a good spot post-grad, but I'm terrified that these types of people will be surrounding me for the rest of my life.
being an insecure prick can often be alienating.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:49 pm

Stevoman wrote:I have liked law school less and less every semester. 3LOL is real, y'all.
Honeysuckle wrote:I fucking hate my law school. Love the practice of law.
...aren't you the 1.5L who just had the 7-page C&F thread about getting back into law school? Pretty sure you have to finish before you can start talking about the practice of law...
She probably meant by practice to be internships/clinics.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:40 am

Kratos wrote:
this seems contradictory
I kinda get what he's saying because 3LOL can be incredibly mind-numbing and boring (though I'm certainly getting in a lot of running and gym time).

I still wouldn't trade it for 2L though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stevoman

Bronze

Post by Stevoman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:30 pm

sd5289 wrote:
Kratos wrote:
this seems contradictory
I kinda get what he's saying because 3LOL can be incredibly mind-numbing and boring (though I'm certainly getting in a lot of running and gym time).

Basically this. I want to gouge my eyes out every day in class. Never skipped/been late for this many classes in my life. I had a career before law school, and am trying to get out of here and resume my life that's been suspended for 3 years. At least I had something to work towards in 1L/2L; now there's nothing to work towards, it's just going through the motions to finish. It's just miserable.

cyrilfiggis

New

Post by cyrilfiggis » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:37 pm

sd5289 wrote:
Kratos wrote:
this seems contradictory

What did you prefer about 2L over 3L?
I'd imagine if you're job secure by early-mid 2L you're probably in a similar situation?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:41 pm

How are you job secure by early/mid 2L? You still need to get an offer at the end of the summer.

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:24 pm

Stevoman wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
Kratos wrote:
this seems contradictory

Basically this. I want to gouge my eyes out every day in class. Never skipped/been late for this many classes in my life. I had a career before law school, and am trying to get out of here and resume my life that's been suspended for 3 years. At least I had something to work towards in 1L/2L; now there's nothing to work towards, it's just going through the motions to finish. It's just miserable.
like i get what you're saying, but you should probably try to enjoy having no real responsibilities and shit before you're stuck in the real world again.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:01 am

cyrilfiggis wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
Kratos wrote:
this seems contradictory

What did you prefer about 2L over 3L?
I'd imagine if you're job secure by early-mid 2L you're probably in a similar situation?
No no, I'm saying I'd rather be mind-numbingly bored than go through 2L again (from a job-secure 3L since fall of 3L).

ETA: I'm also like the guy above who had a career prior to law school. I also feel like I'm just going through the motions to finish law school. And to the guy saying enjoy the no responsibility over responsibility schtick, I preferred the latter (1L and 2L had their various purposes and uses...3L just doesn't).

abogadesq

Silver

Post by abogadesq » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:29 am

I hated it. I worked part-time at as a law clerk and enjoyed it much more than law school. Can't wait to practice now.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:36 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:How are you job secure by early/mid 2L? You still need to get an offer at the end of the summer.
Cocky about his 100% offer firm, I presume.

I just dislike law school. It's not the bane of my existence, but definitely don't feel any enjoyment at the prospect of waking up and going to class.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”