How do you feel about law school? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

How do you feel about law school?

I love it!!!
20%
I like it.
25%
It's okay.
32%
I don't like it.
8%
I hate it.
7%
Everyday for me is a living hell.
8%

Total votes: 236

chuckbass

Platinum

Re: How do you feel about law school?

Post by chuckbass » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:04 pm

The Dark Shepard wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Is there supposed to be a bit of a second semester slump?
I'm definitely there right now
Oh yeah I'm just like, not having it this week.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:45 pm

I feel on that, but mostly because I feel like I know what I did last semester worked well for me so I know that I just need to do that. Plus I know I really learned a lot by just doing my own outlines, so no need to put in a ton of work right now in lieu of the job search.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:22 pm

Hit the second semester slump finally. Life sucks. Wine helps.

Pumpkin-Duke of Pie

Silver

Post by Pumpkin-Duke of Pie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:29 pm

I invite everyone still in their 0-1L year to rethink their life choices, specifically their desire to go/be in lawl skewl. Or, you know, fuck fun, do law, whatever.

BizBro

Silver

Post by BizBro » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:50 am

Louis1127 wrote:
BizBro wrote:Law school pretty much sucks and I wish i never came. Would have gone to biz school if I could go back in time.
Since there seems to be a wide variance in opinion about this, would you mind expanding on this for ignorant but curious 0Ls like me?
The type of work you do in 1L sucks. Classes you might/might not be interested in -> shock of getting, what feels like random, grades that may not correlate with effort extended-> general stress created by the 1L student body, especially during finals. Spring semester of 1L is a bit better because everyone knows the drill now.

Certainly looking forward to 2L and 3L when I (hopefully) have a job and dgaf.

As far as why business school? That's a topic for an entire thread, and there's several good ones on TLS already.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:59 am

BizBro wrote:
Louis1127 wrote:
BizBro wrote:Law school pretty much sucks and I wish i never came. Would have gone to biz school if I could go back in time.
Since there seems to be a wide variance in opinion about this, would you mind expanding on this for ignorant but curious 0Ls like me?
The type of work you do in 1L sucks. Classes you might/might not be interested in -> shock of getting, what feels like random, grades that may not correlate with effort extended-> general stress created by the 1L student body, especially during finals. Spring semester of 1L is a bit better because everyone knows the drill now.

As far as why business school? That's a topic for an entire thread, and there's several good ones on TLS already.
Oh yes, I meant the part about law school sucking, not the part about biz school. Thanks!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:43 pm

BizBro wrote:
Louis1127 wrote:

I was gonna say since you're a 1L you should drop out but it sounds like the typical second semester 1L slump. 2L/3L will be better.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:35 pm

I tell myself I like law school but then I actually think about the stress of the curve, the hours of annoying/pointless readings, the complete lack of practice-ready experience, and the fact that I'm spending so much money and giving 4 years of my life (yeah - woo GULC Section 7.) Now I kind of want to weep.

I guess I, and others like me, 'like' law school because of the fleeting validation we get from each good grade, or making it in OCI, or getting published, or every asinine hoop through which we are forced to jump. I 'like' law school because I was expecting disembowelment and only got floggings. I 'like' law school because my grandfather's elegant law office imprinted on my fragile young child mind when I would visit him at work on rare occasions. But objectively, there's little to 'like' if you're self-aware and have any idea of what 'success' after law school looks like.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:26 pm

Looking back on it, the best law school experiences were summer jobs and intern/externships. Kind of telling that the best parts of school were not being there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:48 pm

I love it. Pretty sure most people at UVA do for one reason or another.

theInnerCircle

New

Post by theInnerCircle » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:22 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:
sublime wrote:Beats the fuck out of actually having to work.
Shit. I can't wait to have a job.

Work>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>School

seriously. while in school you are basically forced into paying others to do an easy as shit job.

cyrilfiggis

New

Post by cyrilfiggis » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:26 pm

Fluid free time vs. not having lingering pressure of exams/assignments...

Starting to get to the point in the semester where i might change my poll answer from 'its ok' to 'why am i here'

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:28 pm

theInnerCircle wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:
sublime wrote:Beats the fuck out of actually having to work.
Shit. I can't wait to have a job.

Work>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>School

seriously. while in school you are basically forced into paying others to do an easy as shit job.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:09 pm

Law School Spring Break isn't so bad though

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:00 am

Young Marino wrote:Law School Spring Break isn't so bad though
Unless you're on quarters so there's an extra round of finals first. People stress the fuck out. It's a really unhappy energy.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:12 pm

Instinctive wrote:
Unless you're on quarters so there's an extra round of finals first. People stress the fuck out. It's a really unhappy energy.
Lol what the fuck? I had like 2 mid terms before the break and they weren't even that serious. If you're still letting law school stress you out that much at this juncture, you're doing it so wrong.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:04 pm

Young Marino wrote:
Instinctive wrote:
Lol what the fuck? I had like 2 mid terms before the break and they weren't even that serious. If you're still letting law school stress you out that much at this juncture, you're doing it so wrong.
This stinks of serious pot calling the kettle black considering how profusely you've littered the forum with your various neuroticisms over the past year or so

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:58 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Young Marino wrote:
Instinctive wrote:
This stinks of serious pot calling the kettle black considering how profusely you've littered the forum with your various neuroticisms over the past year or so
Fair.

But telling Stanford kids that their stress is meaningless and silly is a TLS pastime.

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:31 am

BigZuck wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Young Marino wrote:
Instinctive wrote: Unless you're on quarters so there's an extra round of finals first. People stress the fuck out. It's a really unhappy energy.
Fair.

But telling Stanford kids that their stress is meaningless and silly is a TLS pastime.
I agree with the argument that people shouldn't be stressed out. Doesn't mean they aren't. It creates a dreary vibe. I kind of avoid the law school, spend the week at the gym or with my significant other.

That's something I like about law school. I get to play a lot more basketball than I did previously. I'm in better shape and in a better mood most days because of it.

sam91

Bronze

Post by sam91 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:29 pm

I have to disagree with work>school.

I worked about 2 years full time before law school and its hard to argue in favor of work. In law school, yes its stressful, yes you have shit hanging over your head but besides class time your on YOUR time. If you need to take an hour break to watch TV or eat, you do it. Law school your on your time v. the employers time. Class starts at noon? no doubt sleep till 11 today.

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:39 pm

sam91 wrote:I have to disagree with work>school.

I worked about 2 years full time before law school and its hard to argue in favor of work. In law school, yes its stressful, yes you have shit hanging over your head but besides class time your on YOUR time. If you need to take an hour break to watch TV or eat, you do it. Law school your on your time v. the employers time. Class starts at noon? no doubt sleep till 11 today.
depends on the job. i worked 9-5 and that was it, so a lot of my time was still my time, plus no out of work assignments so when I left it was over. No tests is nice. Plus having a steady flow of income is fun.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:59 pm

Kratos wrote:
sam91 wrote:I have to disagree with work>school.

depends on the job. i worked 9-5 and that was it, so a lot of my time was still my time, plus no out of work assignments so when I left it was over. No tests is nice. Plus having a steady flow of income is fun.
Yup. Yes, with a job you're on their schedule, but if you have a normal 9-5 job that you can leave at the office, at least you have nothing hanging over your head when you leave for the day. As a student you always have this nagging thought that you should be studying/outlining/drafting a brief, etc.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:03 pm

cyrilfiggis wrote:Starting to get to the point in the semester where i might change my poll answer from 'its ok' to 'why am i here'
That's exactly where I am right now. 3L spring semester = kill you with boredom.

anon369

New

Post by anon369 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:00 am

delete
Last edited by anon369 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:08 am

anon369 wrote:a phrase I haven't heard since beginning law school: "I know what you mean."

Law students are the worst, and I oscillate between having compassion for them (because it must be terrible to be so awful), and resenting them for making me feel worthless and bitter. I'm really lucky to go to a school that will put me in a good spot post-grad, but I'm terrified that these types of people will be surrounding me for the rest of my life.
yeah the people are def the shittiest thing about this presentation.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”