Last Minute Decision to apply to law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
tinad17

New

Last Minute Decision to apply to law school

Post by tinad17 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:41 pm

All

I am hoping you can help me. I decided to go to law school about 2 weeks ago. I am planning on taking the June 2015 LSAT, which I need to do very well on at this point to get into law school. I created an account on lsac.org and I am trying to gather my transcripts, letters of recommendation and personal statement, but I am not sure how to proceed with the LSAT. Do I tale a prep course like Kaplan and pat $1200? My law school rep at my college recommends the Powersource Bible series, but are these good? Hoe long in advance should I start studying in order to do well in the June 2015 LSAT? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Atmosphere

Silver

Re: Last Minute Decision to apply to law school

Post by Atmosphere » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:46 pm

tinad17 wrote:All

I am hoping you can help me. I decided to go to law school about 2 weeks ago. I am planning on taking the June 2015 LSAT, which I need to do very well on at this point to get into law school. I created an account on lsac.org and I am trying to gather my transcripts, letters of recommendation and personal statement, but I am not sure how to proceed with the LSAT. Do I tale a prep course like Kaplan and pat $1200? My law school rep at my college recommends the Powersource Bible series, but are these good? Hoe long in advance should I start studying in order to do well in the June 2015 LSAT? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Start studying now. What will your GPA be at?

tinad17

New

Post by tinad17 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:51 pm

I did my undergrad 15 years ago and my GPA was 2.3 however I received an MBA and masters in the last 3 years and my GPA was 3.98. How do I start studying? That's the advice I'm looking for?

2on1

New

Post by 2on1 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:06 pm

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:08 pm

do not do this

It will not end well

Find another career path

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:10 pm

Don't do Kaplan, there are better prep programs

Check out the lsat prep subforum on this site for self study tips and recommendations for good programs

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:10 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:do not do this

It will not end well

Find another career path

tinad17

New

Post by tinad17 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:11 pm

I did not ask your opinion on whether I should do this.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:12 pm

tinad17 wrote:I did not ask your opinion on whether I should do this.
What is your GPA? What are your career goals? Why do you wanna go to law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tinad17

New

Post by tinad17 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:13 pm

Thanks BigZuck! Do you recommend one over the other?

tinad17

New

Post by tinad17 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:16 pm

This is something I have wanted since I was 16. Also, in my current career you will top out unless you either go to law school or just teach.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:20 pm

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:28 pm

tinad17 wrote:This is something I have wanted since I was 16. Also, in my current career you will top out unless you either go to law school or just teach.
can you answer romo's question about career goals
also, what is your current career

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:37 pm

tinad17 wrote:I did not ask your opinion on whether I should do this.
I know you didn't. But with that GPA, and with your age, there's almost no possible way you can work a justifiable cost benefit analysis. Would your current employer be paying for this, and would you keep your current job while attending school? If both and if you booked the lsat, then maybe, but if not, this is not going to be worth it.

tinad17

New

Post by tinad17 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:09 pm

I work in financial investigations of embezzlement, fraud ad money laundering. After a certain level you need a DBA or a JD. I prefer a JD. And yes the employer is paying for most of it. I will be going part time.

What materials are you using to prepare yourselves for the lsat? Bible LSAT, live class or Kaplan?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:12 pm

tinad17 wrote:I work in financial investigations of embezzlement, fraud ad money laundering. After a certain level you need a DBA or a JD. I prefer a JD. And yes the employer is paying for most of it. I will be going part time.
That is a very different story. Career-wise, you should probably do a DBA, but assuming that they're both equally-viable, you will likely have a part time program in your region that will accept you with a 155+ score.

LSAT Bibles are more than enough in my opinion, but if you have the money to throw on a class, don't do Kaplan. Testmasters and Blueprint are two pretty good LSAT courses that come to mind.

mrmr

New

Post by mrmr » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:13 pm

Take a diagnostic, see how you do. If you score lower than you like, pay for a course.
I don't have a link right on hand, but I know there are ones out there that are pretty cheap, and I think a few free ones too.
If any other posters want to quote this with links for OP, I bet he'd appreciate it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

js1663

Bronze

Post by js1663 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:14 pm

tinad17 wrote:I work in financial investigations of embezzlement, fraud ad money laundering. After a certain level you need a DBA or a JD. I prefer a JD. And yes the employer is paying for most of it. I will be going part time.

What materials are you using to prepare yourselves for the lsat? Bible LSAT, live class or Kaplan?
Definitely not Kaplan, they have a pretty terrible reputation. For self study use powerscore plus actual tests or one of the many online sites that are referenced throughout this site (such as 7sage).

If you're going to take a class, PowerScore, Testmasters, and Manhattan have the best reputation. You should start studying immediately regardless of what you do though, it's only 4 months until the June LSAT and with that terrible GPA you're going to need to rock it to get into a decent school (though it sounds like which school and scholarship rewards doesn't matter terribly if you're not getting a new job and using it for a promotion + employer's footing the bill)

Either way, pick a class or use the resources on this site to create a study plan and begin studying ASAP.

mrmr

New

Post by mrmr » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:18 pm

tinad17 wrote:This is something I have wanted since I was 16. Also, in my current career you will top out unless you either go to law school or just teach.
How is it a "Last Minute Decision to apply to law school" if you'd wanted to do it since you were 16?

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:20 pm

personally i think classes are a waste of time and money
i'd use the powerscore bibles
check out the lsat prep forum, lots of good advice there

tinad17

New

Post by tinad17 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:21 pm

That's a long story that I do not want to go into. But little did I know that I would end up in an industry where a law degree is one of the options needed for advancement.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mrmr

New

Post by mrmr » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:26 pm

tinad17 wrote:That's a long story that I do not want to go into. But little did I know that I would end up in an industry where a law degree is one of the options needed for advancement.
but you just said you wanted to do it since you were 16

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:53 pm

nice lawyering mrmr you really nailed him

rdawkins28

Bronze

Post by rdawkins28 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:24 pm

mrmr wrote:
tinad17 wrote:That's a long story that I do not want to go into. But little did I know that I would end up in an industry where a law degree is one of the options needed for advancement.
Wanting to do something at 16 and actually taking steps do it are different issues. Heck, I wanted to be a lawyer since I was a teen. I joined the high school debate team at 16. It wasn't until I was 40 or 41 (memory getting fuzzy) that I decided to take the LSAT and then enrolled in law school.

Anyway, someone mentioned taking a diagnostic, so you should do that first.

Then research the prep companies to see which one fits your style, schedule, and budget. The popular ones on TLS seem to be Powerscore, Testmasters, Manhattan, 7sage. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Either way, be prepared to do a lot of work outside of class; otherwise, the class might be a waste of money.

In the meantime, you should pick up the Powerscore books, or LSAT trainer, or Manhattan books. Read them and see how it goes first. Might not need any class at all.

mrmr

New

Post by mrmr » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:44 pm

rdawkins28 wrote:
mrmr wrote:
Wanting to do something at 16 and actually taking steps do it are different issues. Heck, I wanted to be a lawyer since I was a teen. I joined the high school debate team at 16. It wasn't until I was 40 or 41 (memory getting fuzzy) that I decided to take the LSAT and then enrolled in law school.

Anyway, someone mentioned taking a diagnostic, so you should do that first.

Then research the prep companies to see which one fits your style, schedule, and budget. The popular ones on TLS seem to be Powerscore, Testmasters, Manhattan, 7sage. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Either way, be prepared to do a lot of work outside of class; otherwise, the class might be a waste of money.

In the meantime, you should pick up the Powerscore books, or LSAT trainer, or Manhattan books. Read them and see how it goes first. Might not need any class at all.
That someone was me

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”