Comparing practice areas?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sonyvaio18

Comparing practice areas?

Postby sonyvaio18 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:51 pm

hi everyone, I used the search bar for this question, but came up empty-handed (or am just incompetent at using TLS' search function).

Does someone have a some info about how to weigh and compare corporate vs tax vs real estate vs IP? For instance, all else equal, how does qualify of life, exit options, and promotional opportunities compare across these areas?

Thanks so much!

MKX

Re: Comparing practice areas?

Postby MKX » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:32 pm

Can you sit for the patent bar? If not, then avoid IP.

mrmr

Postby mrmr » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:12 pm

MKX wrote:Can you sit for the patent bar? If not, then avoid IP.

THIS!

-LOTS of people have no clue that the patent bar is something that (ironically) most STEM undergrad degrees can sit BUT most lawyers CANT sit (science requirements, but technically no JD required)

If you really want to sit it and don't have a STEM undergrad, you can still qualify but have to take a certain number of classes in certain areas. Its a pain but can be done. That being said I'd make sure you REALLY want to do it MORE than other fields of law if you were adding that on top of everything else. (people do it though)

sonyvaio18

Postby sonyvaio18 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:28 am

yeah that makes sense. i actually completed 3/4 of my pre-med requirements, and it seems like it might be possible to get the necessary credits, but the aspect of taking more classes alone makes IP more unappealing. However, do you know of any data that compares IP to other practice groups based on the measures I mentioned?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”