Phi Kappa Phi: Worth It?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jaguin1
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:11 pm

Phi Kappa Phi: Worth It?

Postby jaguin1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:29 pm

Just received an email invitation to join Phi Kappa Phi. I am not convinced it is worth $85 in membership fees. Thoughts either way?

BearLaw
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: Phi Kappa Phi: Worth It?

Postby BearLaw » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:12 am

I joined 1L year. Paid my fee, got my card (or whatever it was they gave us) and havent done anything with it since. Its a line on my resume. Cant say it was worth it, cant say it wasnt since no one has ever brought it up.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6384
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Phi Kappa Phi: Worth It?

Postby 5ky » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:43 am

No

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Phi Kappa Phi: Worth It?

Postby ilikebaseball » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:43 am

5ky wrote:No

paul554
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:14 pm

Re: Phi Kappa Phi: Worth It?

Postby paul554 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:36 am

I joined for what ever the dues were. Some government jobs let you substitute enrollment in a national honors society for one year of experience for minimum qualifications. Probably will never matter, but for a few bucks it seemed worth it.

User avatar
Worker and Parasite
Posts: 360
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Phi Kappa Phi: Worth It?

Postby Worker and Parasite » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:27 am

paul554 wrote:I joined for what ever the dues were. Some government jobs let you substitute enrollment in a national honors society for one year of experience for minimum qualifications. Probably will never matter, but for a few bucks it seemed worth it.


are you kidding me. where???

paul554
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:14 pm

Re: Phi Kappa Phi: Worth It?

Postby paul554 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:19 am

Worker and Parasite wrote:
paul554 wrote:I joined for what ever the dues were. Some government jobs let you substitute enrollment in a national honors society for one year of experience for minimum qualifications. Probably will never matter, but for a few bucks it seemed worth it.


are you kidding me. where???


Federal. Just look at the qualifications section on usajobs. Again though, this isn't all GS attorney positions, but you do see it every now and then.

User avatar
Strangely Appealing
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:58 pm

Re: Phi Kappa Phi: Worth It?

Postby Strangely Appealing » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:28 am

From the ACHS site:

'In a letter dated April 13, 1973, the U.S. Civil Service Commission stated, "Membership in a national honor society meets one of the requirements for entrance at the GS-7 level in numerous professional and technical occupations in the Federal service. However, applicants must meet all of the requirements as described in the particular Federal Job Announcement covering the positions for which they apply." This affords a tangible acknowledgment of merit.'

http://www.achsnatl.org/achsbene.asp

Also appears on Alpha Sigma Nu's site. Will edit this with a direct link to the letter if I can find it.

Edit: From the Office of Personnel Management's site - http://www.opm.gov/FAQs/QA.aspx?fid=d5e ... 76d5b7a8ce

*A degree but no specialized experience in a career field, makes one eligible for appointment at the GS-5 grade level. If you maintained at least a B average; were in the upper third of your college, university or major subdivision; or are a member of a national scholastic honor society recognized by the Association of College Honors Societies, you can start out at the GS-7 grade level.)

*To qualify for jobs at the GS-7 and higher grade levels, background must include experience closely related to the work to be performed in the job for which you are applying.

*One can qualify for GS-9 positions on the basis of a master’s degree, and for GS-11 positions on the basis of a doctorate.

Edit for clarity: GS-11 is the grade at which DOJ "main Justice" hires entry-level attorneys (honors program), so the OPM honor society membership policy would not benefit those hires. As far as I know, U.S. Attorneys' Offices consider years of professional employment and previous federal service, but not honor society membership, when assigning an AD grade level to a new AUSA. The lowest AD salary is above that for a GS-7 anyway.

paul554
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:14 pm

Re: Phi Kappa Phi: Worth It?

Postby paul554 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:54 pm

From a recent GS-11 attorney position posting for experience requirements:

In addition, in order to be qualified for this position at the GS-11 you must possess one of the following:

A. One year of professional legal experience equivalent to the GS-9 level in the Federal service. GS-09 or equivalent experience is defined as conducting legal research; preparing tentative drafts of legal documents for use by senior attorneys; assisting with preparations for trial (e.g. interviewing witnesses, identifying line of questioning, drafting findings of facts); and conducting investigations of and providing guidance on issues which have established legal precedent. - OR - B. A second professional law degree (LL.M) that requires one full year of graduate study beyond the J.D. level. - OR -

C. A J.D. or LL.B and possess (a) academic standing in the upper-third of the law school graduating class; (b) work or achievement of significance in the law schools' official law review; (c)special high-level honors for academic excellence in law school, such a selection to the Order of the Coif; (d) winning of a moot court competition or membership on the moot court team representing the law school in competition with other law schools; (e) full-time or continuous participation in a legal aid program as opposed to one-time, intermittent, or casual participation; (f)significant summer law office clerk experience; or (g) other equivalent evidence of superior achievement.

Like I said though, these postings are rare and there are tons of other ways you can qualify usually. This one also doesn't mention phi kappa phi specifically, but I've seen ones in the past that have. Usually DOD or Army seem to mention it specifically, but every job posting is different.

User avatar
Strangely Appealing
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:58 pm

Re: Phi Kappa Phi: Worth It?

Postby Strangely Appealing » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:35 pm

paul554 wrote:From a recent GS-11 attorney position posting for experience requirements:

In addition, in order to be qualified for this position at the GS-11 you must possess one of the following:

A. One year of professional legal experience equivalent to the GS-9 level in the Federal service. GS-09 or equivalent experience is defined as conducting legal research; preparing tentative drafts of legal documents for use by senior attorneys; assisting with preparations for trial (e.g. interviewing witnesses, identifying line of questioning, drafting findings of facts); and conducting investigations of and providing guidance on issues which have established legal precedent. - OR - B. A second professional law degree (LL.M) that requires one full year of graduate study beyond the J.D. level. - OR -

C. A J.D. or LL.B and possess (a) academic standing in the upper-third of the law school graduating class; (b) work or achievement of significance in the law schools' official law review; (c)special high-level honors for academic excellence in law school, such a selection to the Order of the Coif; (d) winning of a moot court competition or membership on the moot court team representing the law school in competition with other law schools; (e) full-time or continuous participation in a legal aid program as opposed to one-time, intermittent, or casual participation; (f)significant summer law office clerk experience; or (g) other equivalent evidence of superior achievement.

Like I said though, these postings are rare and there are tons of other ways you can qualify usually. This one also doesn't mention phi kappa phi specifically, but I've seen ones in the past that have. Usually DOD or Army seem to mention it specifically, but every job posting is different.


I kinda think Coif is a different cut than any of the proliferating honor societies. One way to find out for sure--

User avatar
Worker and Parasite
Posts: 360
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Phi Kappa Phi: Worth It?

Postby Worker and Parasite » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:36 pm

yeah when I hear honors society, I think Order of the Coif. Which would make sense.

paul554
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:14 pm

Re: Phi Kappa Phi: Worth It?

Postby paul554 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:17 pm

Worker and Parasite wrote:yeah when I hear honors society, I think Order of the Coif. Which would make sense.


I agree. As I said, this job announcement didn't mention phi kappa phi by name. I have seen ones in the past that have, though they are rare. For entry level jobs, I'd say it is at best probably every 1 out of 20. Is it worth $100 bucks for that possible bump in that super rare job announcement that does name it and also happens to fit all the other criteria you have? Probably not, but if your super bent on getting a federal job no matter what, it might not be a horrible investment.

User avatar
Aeon
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Phi Kappa Phi: Worth It?

Postby Aeon » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:48 pm

Having PKP on your resume won't hurt you, and it might help on the margins. If you can spare the $50 or so, why not?

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6384
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Phi Kappa Phi: Worth It?

Postby 5ky » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:00 pm

Answer is still no.

User avatar
Strangely Appealing
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:58 pm

Re: Phi Kappa Phi: Worth It?

Postby Strangely Appealing » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:09 pm

5ky wrote:Answer is still no.


Daddy?

WHJTMG178
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:39 pm

Re: Phi Kappa Phi: Worth It?

Postby WHJTMG178 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:27 am

5ky wrote:No

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 22010
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Phi Kappa Phi: Worth It?

Postby Nebby » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:43 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
5ky wrote:No




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: EZ as AsDf, jsk1203 and 5 guests