Need a nuanced paper topic re. wiretapping/Title III ASAP

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JDYesPlease

Need a nuanced paper topic re. wiretapping/Title III ASAP

Postby JDYesPlease » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:50 pm

Hi TLS users:

I need to select a nuanced paper topic with wiretapping and/or Title III as the overall subject matter. I hardly ever post on TLS, but I remember loving the creativity of the forum posters when applying to law school and am hoping some of you can channel that same creativity into my selection of a paper topic. It's not a big paper (can't be more than 7 pages), but even still, it would be nice to have a fun and creative idea for my professor. Let me know if anyone has any good ideas (e.g. recommendation of a new federal law, etc.)! Thanks!

swampman

Re: Need a nuanced paper topic re. wiretapping/Title III ASAP

Postby swampman » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:01 pm

Here's one I've been meaning to write but don't have time: Does Jimmy McNulty's desire to wiretap the Barksdale organization reflect his hidden need to wiretap his own feelings, which have long been suppressed by alcoholism?

I think there's a lot of nuance there. Obviously you could take it in a lot of different directions.

JDYesPlease

Postby JDYesPlease » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:09 pm

Classic response. Are you in my class? I want to write about Jimmy McNulty too, but mainly to show how easily police can feign exhaustion in wiretap affidavits to obtain a warrant. If he was drunk driving when chasing the Barksdale crew in the towers, does his drunkenness negatively affect exhaustion? If I am a defense attorney and can prove he was drunk, I can argue that the exhaustion requirement in Title III and the MD wiretapping statute was not satisfied...

swampman

Postby swampman » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:16 pm

JDYesPlease wrote:Classic response. Are you in my class? I want to write about Jimmy McNulty too, but mainly to show how easily police can feign exhaustion in wiretap affidavits to obtain a warrant. If he was drunk driving when chasing the Barksdale crew in the towers, does his drunkenness negatively affect exhaustion? If I am a defense attorney and can prove he was drunk, I can argue that the exhaustion requirement in Title III and the MD wiretapping statute was not satisfied...

I would read that paper so hard. Would just add that it's important to really get into his emotional state, and I think the only way to do that is to go in depth into his personal history and give the readers an idea what really drives him.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”