Drop out of GULC?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jmj109

Drop out of GULC?

Postby jmj109 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:54 pm

First, thank you for reading and I appreciate any guidance. I am a 1L at GULC. My first semester GPA is 3.18 (A-, B, B). Additionally, Legal Writing is a year long course, and at the half way point, I have a raw score that would translate into an A- if we received a letter grade at this point. The median is 3.3-3.4. Due to a scholarship, I am accruing "only" around $15,000 of debt per semester.

I am considering dropping out while I can receive a refund for 80% of Spring tuition. I am worried because 1) I am below median, 2) I have no connections to the legal profession, and 3) I have a weak resume, I worked for a couple years after undergrad, but it was in manufacturing and retail type hourly jobs. Further, I am now quite unsure whether law is actually the career that I want to be in.

If I dropped out, I would most likely be returning to a low end type of job which would be disappointing. I would only have accrued 15,000 dollars of debt however and would have the ability to return to school to pursue a new career when I so desire.

I've realized in the last few months that I would be happiest with a job that allows me to live relatively comfortably (40-50,000 is fine where I'm from), isn't especially stressful or all consuming, and provides some sense of meaning. That may be in law, but it seems like whether or not I'll be able to actually find a legal job or be happy in it is quite uncertain at this point, and won't become clear until I am much deeper in debt. Any guidance in regards to job prospects, or any other advice, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
BTW I am from and interested in returning to SC.

FSK

Re: Drop out of GULC?

Postby FSK » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:57 pm

I think you're better off with $45k debt and a law degree than back in complete dead end jobs. Start identifying roles people from your position have gone into and networking towards that. Just don't count on biglaw.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:59 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:I think you're better off with $45k debt and a law degree than back in complete dead end jobs. Start identifying roles people from your position have gone into and networking towards that. Just don't count on biglaw.

$15k debt per semester, not per year.

Thrive

Postby Thrive » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:00 pm

Is it just me or when you calculate the approximate score of LRW, you would be right at median?

What is the problem then??

butlerraider1

Postby butlerraider1 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:01 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:I think you're better off with $45k debt and a law degree than back in complete dead end jobs. Start identifying roles people from your position have gone into and networking towards that. Just don't count on biglaw.

OP said 15k per semester

TheodoreKGB

Postby TheodoreKGB » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:02 pm

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

gtown1212

Postby gtown1212 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:07 pm

multiple friends with shitty grades (3.0-3.2x) first semester that killed second semester and had many offers. have to remember first semester is like, what, 12 credits? second semester is 19.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:13 pm

jmj109 wrote:
If I dropped out, I would most likely be returning to a low end type of job which would be disappointing. I would only have accrued 15,000 dollars of debt however and would have the ability to return to school to pursue a new career when I so desire.

What do you see yourself going to more school of? I think you're prolly at your best bet as is. GULC is a fine outcome on scholly and there are enough non trad legal jobs that you can find something you mesh with (prolly will be low paying). I don't think there is a limit to how much govt debt you can go in. I know peopel that have gone law to med school. But I'm not sure about the debt and future school, but I think you don't have anything to lose really.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:40 am

Thrive wrote:Is it just me or when you calculate the approximate score of LRW, you would be right at median?

What is the problem then??

median at georgetown isn't "safe" the way it is at ccn. i wouldn't drop out because the debt is not huge and the grades aren't terrible.

Nats2014

Postby Nats2014 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:51 am

2L at GULC here, did very well first year and through OCI. If you'd like some help going over your exams or talking through first semester, I'm happy to buy you a cup of coffee and chat if you would find it at all helpful. Just PM me.

I know first year, and first semester in particular, can be tough. But if you are smart about going over exams with professors, figuring out how to study smarter second semester, you can really pull things together. As someone else mentioned, you get 18 credits worth of GPA points in second semester, compared with like 12 first semester. Huge opportunity there to bring your GPA up.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:04 pm

GULC 3E here. I advise against dropping out until at least after the spring. Grades act as a threshold for firms at OCI; low enough and you won't get considered at some firms, but if you make it then you have an equal shot as the guy with a 3.8. I did well grade-wise and had a great outcome at OCI, but I had numerous firms give callbacks to people with quite lower GPAs over mine because of personality/how the interview went.

Buckle down, learn to 'Learn better' so that you're more effective, and if you do well (3.5+ overall if possible) and you can rock OCI if you're enthusiastic and able to function like an adult.

xjustyoursmile

Postby xjustyoursmile » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:42 am

GULC 2L here.
Im on my phone so excuse typos.
I dont think you should drop out just yet. There are a lot of options to consider. For example, I was basically in the same position as you in terms of GPA but I managed to get a spring internship my 1L year at the superior court, then upped my experience at a law firm abroad while doing research work for Stanford and ended up working at a large social media company as a legal policy intern my first semester of 2L. It bolstered my resume so much that I have some good shots for being able to find a good job after I graduate. its opened a lot of doors for me.
Sometimes its not even about the grades (although learning how to take a law exam is important), but its more about how much you hustle and how creative you can be in shaping your law school experience. I was told I shouldnt take a 1L internship so that I could focus on grades, but I know my limits and knew that even without the internship I would get around the same grades so I figured I had to do something that would set me aside from the pack.

Try to think outside the box to solve the issue.
I you want any more information, an ear, or more detailed advice lemme know!
Good luck!

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:07 am

Give it another semester, attempt to mass mail over the summer and see how OCI goes before the tuition deadline, then reassess.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:12 am

TFALAWL

Postby TFALAWL » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:58 pm

I agree that you should finish the year. With a 3.2, you're still in the game for big law if you can manage even a 3.4 next semester. Even if you don't improve your grades, there are plenty of rewarding public service/govt. jobs that are relatively 9 to 5, and pay 50k or so at the start (you're not gonna graduate from GULC entirely unemployed). Plus, you could probably get LRAP.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:05 pm

if you have the abolity to get an a- you aren't dead in the water.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”