How to cite a case without citing to a specific page number

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JackOfAllTrades

How to cite a case without citing to a specific page number

Postby JackOfAllTrades » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:53 pm

This is a bluebook question. Let's say you just want to write a sentence like:

"Roe v Wade is the leading case on this issue."

I am mentioning the case, but not referring to any specific part of the opinion. Do I need to include a pincite in my citation?

Thanks in advance!

seizmaar

Re: How to cite a case without citing to a specific page number

Postby seizmaar » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:02 pm

just pincite the page with the main holding.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:39 am

JackOfAllTrades wrote:This is a bluebook question. Let's say you just want to write a sentence like:

I am mentioning the case, but not referring to any specific part of the opinion. Do I need to include a pincite in my citation?

Thanks in advance!

The answer to your question is no, if you are not quoting something you do not need to include a pincite. Just do the citation sentence without a pincite. E.g. Roe v. Wade, 93 S.Ct. 755 (1973). If you were qouting a specific page it would be Roe v. Wade, 93 S.Ct. 755, 757 (1973). The second number indicates the beginning page of the opinion, then you would add the specific page of whatever you are quoting if you are quoting something.

By the way, you can find all this in the Bluebook.

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:30 am

See generally

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:33 am

S. Goodman wrote:
JackOfAllTrades wrote:This is a bluebook question. Let's say you just want to write a sentence like:

Thanks in advance!

The answer to your question is no, if you are not quoting something you do not need to include a pincite. Just do the citation sentence without a pincite. E.g. Roe v. Wade, 93 S.Ct. 755 (1973). If you were qouting a specific page it would be Roe v. Wade, 93 S.Ct. 755, 757 (1973). The second number indicates the beginning page of the opinion, then you would add the specific page of whatever you are quoting if you are quoting something.

THis is right. See generally is not correct because you are citing to the case. See would be for something like There are cases about abortion. See CASE

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:35 am

I don't think in your example you would cite to the case since it's not the court's assertion that they are the leading case. I went with see because it's an inference your drawing based on the case. Prob wrong but here is the rule I use

1 Structure and Use of Citations - 1.2 Introductory Signals - (d) Signal that indicates background material.

See generally--Cited authority presents helpful background material related to the proposition.

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:00 am

Also if you were going to say "there are cases about abortion" you would use e.g. Roe v wade because it's an example of multiple cases dealing with abortion...I think Johann may be confusing see and eg

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:20 am

Umm, what's up guys?? Though this is suspect for a an academic, and your fn should be to something asserting that Roe is the main case, in an informal memo, there is no signal here.

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:21 am

JohannDeMann wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

Thanks in advance!

THis is right. See generally is not correct because you are citing to the case. See would be for something like There are cases about abortion. See CASE
wtf is going on in here? Never cite to S.Ct.

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:27 am

Maybe you could do a compare (roe) ... with (shitty, non main abortion case).

That'd be such good blue booking you guys!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:59 am

atcushman wrote:I don't think in your example you would cite to the case since it's not the court's assertion that they are the leading case. I went with see because it's an inference your drawing based on the case. Prob wrong but here is the rule I use

1 Structure and Use of Citations - 1.2 Introductory Signals - (d) Signal that indicates background material.

See generally--Cited authority presents helpful background material related to the proposition.

I don't think this is correct. The author is making the claim that Roe is the leading abortion case, and citing it to give the reader the appropriate reference. It doesn't matter that Roe doesn't claim to be the leading case. It would matter if the author included a pin cite, but they're not. It's the case's existence that's being referenced, not anything it argued. "See" would be more like, "Courts have generally used viability as a starting point for abortion. See Roe v. Wade etc."

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:23 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

Thanks in advance!

wtf is going on in here? Never cite to S.Ct.

Yes you should always cite to the official reporter if available, but for illustration purposes I hurriedly copied and pasted since the OP's question related to pincites. However, the correct citation would be Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973).

BVest

Postby BVest » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:15 pm

Thanks in advance!

If only there were some treatise, or other supplemental, peer-reviewed material that could help you answer this question... like maybe at the library.

JackOfAllTrades

Postby JackOfAllTrades » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:36 pm

BVest wrote:

Thanks in advance!

If only there were some treatise, or other supplemental, peer-reviewed material that could help you answer this question... like maybe at the library.

Right, it's called "The Bluebook," but the answer to this question is not directly address in the Bluebook.

Anyway, thanks to everyone else who helped out! It appears just omitting the pincite is the thing to do.

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:38 pm

Lol at no signal not being addressed in the bluebook

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”