Bad 1L fall grades - should I load up as mny courses posble?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
meegee

Bad 1L fall grades - should I load up as mny courses posble?

Postby meegee » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:16 am

I did horrible for my 1L fall, below median. I'm at a T14. Median is B+. I'm a B.

Should I load up on as many courses/credits possible in effort to pull my grades up? I'm considering adding another 2 credit course to max out ("normal" courses are 3-4 credits).
The 2 credit course I was considering has no final exam. It has weekly assignments and a big research assignment due at the end of the course.
The 2 credit course is another chance to get above B+ and pull my grades up.

My original plan was to take as little courses required, so right now I'm at the bare minimum.

If I manage to get A- in all my current spring courses (not included in my estimation is the addition of that extra 2 credit course) I can pull my grades to median.

Should I try to man up and go all out, or should I keep my current course load ?
Should I swap a course for another course that is known for being a "median" heavy course (the prof gives out a lot of B+)? The problem is that I need A- to pull my grade up to median, not B+. I took a course with that prof last semester, and got B+.
Last edited by meegee on Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mal Reynolds

Re: Bad 1L fall grades - should I load up as mny courses posble?

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:18 am

No. If you're at a t14 you still have a shot to get above median and median isn't a death sentence. Just grind hard and try to find out where you went wrong. What you propose is far too high risk for someone who isn't sure how to do well on a law school exam.

Wait how far below median are you?

BizBro

Postby BizBro » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:20 am

meegee wrote:I did horrible for my 1L fall, below median. I'm at a T14.

Should I load up on as many courses/credits possible in effort to pull my grades up? I'm considering adding another 2 credit course to max out ("normal" courses are 3-4 credits).
The 2 credit course I was considering has no final exam. It has weekly assignments.

My original plan was to take as little courses required, so right now I'm at the bare minimum.

If I manage to get A- in all my current spring courses (not included in my estimation is the addition of that extra 2 credit course) I can pull my grades to median.

Should I try to man up and go all out, or should I keep my current course load ?
Should I swap a course for another course that is known for being a "median" heavy course (the prof gives out a lot of B+)? The problem is that I need A- to pull my grade up to median, not B+. I took a course with that prof last semester, and got B+.

Because the extra 2 credit course is another shot to get above B+? I would take it since there's no final. Might as well time on the weekly assignments instead of all the bs time spent in your doctrinal courses only to end up with a below median grade on the exam.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:21 am

I should probably read more. If it's only two credits without a final you're probably ok.

meegee

Postby meegee » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:27 am

Median is B+. My grades are currently a B.

So yes to the 2 credit course? It doesn't have a final but it does have a research assignment due at the end. I should have clarified and included that in my OP.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:53 am

meegee wrote:Median is B+. My grades are currently a B.

So yes to the 2 credit course? It doesn't have a final but it does have a research assignment due at the end. I should have clarified and included that in my OP.

Some courses are b plus heavy, which would obviously lower your odds of getting to a 3.3 (you need about a 3.6 average). On the other hand, you would be closer to median. I wiuld take some high risk classes if you think your issues were experience based rather than skill based.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”