Fall Sem grades released today - did horrible

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
minnbills

Re: Fall Sem grades released today - did horrible

Postby minnbills » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:55 pm

If you drop out, what would your total debt be? If you graduate, what will your total debt be?

At this point, the odds are overwhelming that if you stay in, your starting salary will be in the 30k-50k range (and probably on the low end of that). You need to be realistic about your finances right now. You say you're on a scholarship, but you don't say what the actual numbers are.

Let's say you graduate with 100k in debt, paying that off on 30k is going to be torture.

I will say that I was in the bottom half of my class after 1L (hell, I finished in the bottom half) and ended up with a fed clerkship in my home state. I did go to a T20, but w/e. Believe me, no one thought I would make it. But I did.

I think the bottom line here is you have to weigh the hard numbers vs. your desire to make a go of it. If you want to be a lawyer badly enough you will find a way. But at this point you have a tough road ahead.

bad1LFallGrades

Postby bad1LFallGrades » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:02 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:Yeah, it's not specific to OP. I'm sure others are reading this thread and are in a similar position to OP. Frequently these are considerations that students voice in their decision. I've seen it both on here, and from a couple of students I kept in touch with. Just wanting to reinforce these should never be considerations, and nothing should other than your passion to practice law.

I'd be interested in hearing what decision the two students you kept in touch with made and how they are doing now ie) do they regret it? was it the best decision they could have ever made?, etc

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:03 pm

i'm not a big believer in fate but i probably would have picked a different username

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:49 pm

bad1LFallGrades wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:Yeah, it's not specific to OP. I'm sure others are reading this thread and are in a similar position to OP. Frequently these are considerations that students voice in their decision. I've seen it both on here, and from a couple of students I kept in touch with. Just wanting to reinforce these should never be considerations, and nothing should other than your passion to practice law.

I'd be interested in hearing what decision the two students you kept in touch with made and how they are doing now ie) do they regret it? was it the best decision they could have ever made?, etc

They both wound up staying. I'm pretty sure it was the wrong decision. I don't want to go too into detail about discussions others presumably anticipated were private. To put it vaguely, I'll say that people are conditioned to see quitting as failure and completing the race as victory. We read the "I think I can" story to our 3 year olds.

Doing your best in law school is hard. You can always be doing more and work harder and someone's always outworking you, and some concepts are legitimately vexing to the point where you can't just read it. But if it's hard to the point a school says we're taking away your scholarship or we don't want your money this should maybe be a sign. Have you considered negotiating the stips now? You did enter the contract, but contracts can be amended after the fact. Your performance (tuition payment) is independent each semester. If you keep it hushed so as to not set a precedent, they may drop it.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:28 am

fats provolone wrote:i'm not a big believer in fate but i probably would have picked a different username

:lol:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”