Booked 3 classes. B in torts. Weird or just law school? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BeachedBrit

Bronze

Re: Booked 3 classes. B in torts. Weird or just law school?

Post by BeachedBrit » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:55 pm

Similar thing happened to me with Torts during 1L. Got a C+. My next lowest grade in all 3 years of law school was a B+ on a B+ curve. Professor just screwed me on my essays (my multiple choice half was well above average, but he gave me a total of 5/75 on my three essays). Compared my essays to my friend's, who earned the top grade in the class and had basically perfect essay scores. I couldn't find any significant difference beyond some minor grammatical issues. I tried to complain to the professor and to the administration, even going so far as to prepare a thorough memo demonstrating how my essay answers were supported as correct by the Restatement of Torts, to no avail. The only good solution is to accept it and move on. You'll probably get asked about it a couple of times during OCI, so just have an answer ready along the lines of: "I don't really know why I received the grade I did in Torts. I felt I understood the material in that class very well and that I did well on the test. Even after reviewing my test after the fact to try to find where I went wrong in order to avoid making that mistake again in the future, I still don't really understand why I received such a bad grade. Obviously, there's nothing I can do to change that though and sometimes that's how things go. I've done what I feel is best by moving on from the situation and continuing to apply myself and doing my best in all of my classes. I feel that my grades in ALL of my other classes are a much more accurate reflection of my ability and work ethic."

FWIW, one of my V50 offers was largely because the partner I was interviewing with really liked my answer to his question about that grade and had a similar situation with a single bad grade when he was in law school. It immediately established a great rapport and made the rest of the interview a breeze.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:19 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Is a solid B at your school median?

Regardless, the fact that you booked 3 will probably get you places.
Yeah this. THere are plenty of partners who will find 3 top grades and a B more impressive than 3 As and an A-. It shouldn't be a problem and 75% of firms prolly won't even ask you about it.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:38 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Is a solid B at your school median?

Regardless, the fact that you booked 3 will probably get you places.
Yeah this. THere are plenty of partners who will find 3 top grades and a B more impressive than 3 As and an A-. It shouldn't be a problem and 75% of firms prolly won't even ask you about it.
another good point. I've been told by more than one law firm partner and federal judge that when looking at a transcript, they prefer a mixed bag with at least some true excellence (A's), even if commingled with a below median grade, than a bunch of around median grades.

Germaine

New

Post by Germaine » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:42 am

jbagelboy wrote: another good point. I've been told by more than one law firm partner and federal judge that when looking at a transcript, they prefer a mixed bag with at least some true excellence (A's), even if commingled with a below median grade, than a bunch of around median grades.
Thanks. That's really encouraging. Had not heard that, but it does make sense.

john_brown

New

Post by john_brown » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:42 am

Look at it this way. Anyone can have an off day and end up with a lousy B. In fact, most people do. It takes something special to book one class, to say nothing of three in one semester.

You did good kid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”