Do Judges Write Letters of Recommendation?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nachosrgood

Do Judges Write Letters of Recommendation?

Postby nachosrgood » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:11 am

Do judges write letters of recommendation or just provide a oral review if they are called via phone?

2L here. I Interned at a state appellate level last summer. I am thinking of asking him to write me one for a appellate clinic application at my school. Figure that would help me get the clinic for 3L year and can be sent next year for clerkships I apply for next year. Sounds reasonable, right?

ilikebaseball

Re: Do Judges Write Letters of Recommendation?

Postby ilikebaseball » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:13 am

one of my LOR's was a judge who also happened to be my professor.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:16 am

You will have to ask. I know of judges who have written letters, but I know many who won't, on the grounds that it looks like they're using their judicial position improperly. I think it may be easier to get a letter if it's going to go to someone who's never possibly going to appear in front of the judge (e.g. another judge), but really, you will need to ask the judge to see how they feel about it.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:17 am

Some do, some don't.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:56 pm

they do just like any other employer, the only rub is that they have to be sure there isn't a conflict of interest, and in a big city, those are easier to find. For example, a judge might not write a letter to a DA or PD office in the same county where they sit. Things like that. What they generally all do is, if you list them as references, they may provide a letter or pick up the phone when contacted FIRST by the employer.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:57 pm

Some just don't write at all.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”