Closed Book v. Open Book Exams

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Squintz805

Closed Book v. Open Book Exams

Postby Squintz805 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:28 am

Just finished up Fall 1L Semester and didn't do too shabby. All my exams however were closed book, and this semester most of my classes will have open book/internet/notes, etc.

Do you approach outlines and memorizing the terminology any differently you would for closed book exams, or is it generally similar to closed book studying?

jayessbee

Re: Closed Book v. Open Book Exams

Postby jayessbee » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:58 am

Squintz805 wrote:Just finished up Fall 1L Semester and didn't do too shabby. All my exams however were closed book, and this semester most of my classes will have open book/internet/notes, etc.

Do you approach outlines and memorizing the terminology any differently you would for closed book exams, or is it generally similar to closed book studying?

My approach was the same for both. I didn't want to waste time flipping through an outline in the middle of a final.

chem!

Postby chem! » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:26 am

jayessbee wrote:
Squintz805 wrote:Just finished up Fall 1L Semester and didn't do too shabby. All my exams however were closed book, and this semester most of my classes will have open book/internet/notes, etc.

My approach was the same for both. I didn't want to waste time flipping through an outline in the middle of a final.

Absolutely. TCR is to treat all exams as closed book.

RAMLAW

Postby RAMLAW » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:28 pm

Open internet?^

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:39 pm

Same here. I would go through my outline 1-2 times at most during an exam. I've never opened a book during an exam and I think its ridiculous to do so..

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:15 pm

I actually go to my outline a fair amount during my exam, but my outline is very well tabbed (but not too tabbed) and I know it like the back of my hand, so it takes me less than 5-10 seconds to turn to exactly what I'm looking for. You still want to make the things you would make for a closed book exam (like the list of 15-20 things that you would want to look for in each question and that, in a closed book exam, you would write down on scratch paper as soon as you start).

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:58 pm

RAMLAW wrote:Open internet?^

I've had a few that were like that. My tax class was like that since like... 80% of the class didn't buy that bigass supp and instead just used the internet for the tax codes.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:44 pm

You can probably get away with less intense memorization of specific language or subpoints. One of my highest exams was totally closed, and the other was open and I used my outline fairly often. Probably best to take practice exams and see if, or how much and in what way, you can use your outline for a particular class.

That said, you need to have a good grasp of the subject as a whole. If you did well, I personally wouldn't change anything about the way you studied for the closed book exams.

pfunkera

Postby pfunkera » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:04 pm

If I have an open notes exam, I structure my outline differently. I do so in a way that I can quickly get to information and then can copy and paste things from my notes into the exam. I also don't worry so much about trimming the notes down to study and actually put as much information into there as possible. ctrl F was my friend during the exam.

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:13 pm

Most folks don't go to NU (or other non-locked-out-computer schools).

MagicMike80

Postby MagicMike80 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:37 pm

I pretty much did the same thing for closed and open book exams, which was making shorter and shorter versions of the outline until I had a 1-2 page version to jog my memory during the test. With the exception of one exam 1L I never looked at a "long" outline during a closed or open book exam.

After transferring I'm at a school with those open network exams and it's kind of distracting. I think I str8 fukt corporations.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:45 am

i find the curve is easier on closed book exams. i find that still making an outline and reducing it to what you can remember is key. most people dont make outlines for closed book so may not understand the material as well. one thing is closed book is more wprk, and can burn you out.

the treat open book the same mantra is credited but you don't need to. i've gotten a's without knowing any elements off hand, and reading the outline for a while. it is definitely an advantage to memorize your outline, but you can be lazy and do well on open book exams as long as you keep cool, and don't panic. 5-10 min is rarely the difference b/w 2 grades. you could know mext do nothing and still do well if you have the ability to sense things that seem sletchy in a fact pattern.

panda595

Postby panda595 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:26 pm

Open book exams are usually much harder because the most adept test takers will have prepared as though it was a closed book exam and set a much harder curve.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:36 pm

pfunkera wrote:If I have an open notes exam, I structure my outline differently. I do so in a way that I can quickly get to information and then can copy and paste things from my notes into the exam. I also don't worry so much about trimming the notes down to study and actually put as much information into there as possible. ctrl F was my friend during the exam.

Wow you can copy and paste during an exam!?

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:48 pm

mvp99 wrote:
pfunkera wrote:If I have an open notes exam, I structure my outline differently. I do so in a way that I can quickly get to information and then can copy and paste things from my notes into the exam. I also don't worry so much about trimming the notes down to study and actually put as much information into there as possible. ctrl F was my friend during the exam.

are u allowed to do this? that's pretty unfair if some do, some don't. i'd much rather have to take an exam closed book while everyone else is open book.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:59 pm

mvp99 wrote:

Some profs allow it, some don't. It'd be of VERY limited usefulness in my estimation.

Squintz805

Postby Squintz805 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:13 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”