Career in Crim Law + Poor Crim Pro Grade Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
brickcity

New

Career in Crim Law + Poor Crim Pro Grade

Post by brickcity » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:14 pm

Without going into detail, I ended up with a B- in Crim Pro. I really don't know how it happened and it's my worst grade to date throughout 3 semesters. I'm really interested in becoming a PD and have been going down that route in terms of internships, clinics, etc.

Since Crim Pro is pretty much the crux course for DA/PDs, am I screwed? Does anyone know if this is going to reflect very poorly on me applying to PD offices for a full time job next year?

S. Goodman

Bronze

Re: Career in Crim Law + Poor Crim Pro Grade

Post by S. Goodman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:42 pm

brickcity wrote:Without going into detail, I ended up with a B- in Crim Pro. I really don't know how it happened and it's my worst grade to date throughout 3 semesters. I'm really interested in becoming a PD and have been going down that route in terms of internships, clinics, etc.

Since Crim Pro is pretty much the crux course for DA/PDs, am I screwed? Does anyone know if this is going to reflect very poorly on me applying to PD offices for a full time job next year?

Lol first and foremost, a B- is not a bad grade. It is no A sure, but it isn't a C or D either. So you need to chill.

Second, I don't know what type of school you go to, or what market you're looking in, but PD and prosecutor offices are known to take the holistic approach when hiring their people. They are looking at the whole picture of the person, not simply their grades. In fact, at least in my area (South East) prosecutors and PD's are typically the folks who had considerably low grades in law school, and a lot of them had to take the BAR multiple times too. In short, you are still fine if you want to be a PD. And really the B- probably wouldn't prevent you from getting any other job either. Not only this, but public service jobs care much more about whether your heart is in it, grades are almost irrelevant.

Maybe someone else wants to weight in on how bad a B- is, but in my opinion and experience a B- is pretty decent, it is a slightly above average grade actually. This will largely depend on the school, market, and job you want etc., but by and large a B- is definitely a decent grade.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:45 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
Maybe someone else wants to weight in on how bad a B- is, but in my opinion and experience a B- is pretty decent, it is a slightly above average grade actually. This will largely depend on the school, market, and job you want etc., but by and large a B- is definitely a decent grade.

A B- at my lower T14 school is probably equivalent to a D in an undergraduate course, and is definitely two letter grades below median.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:51 pm

B- at mine is between bottom 5-20%

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:07 pm

mvp99 wrote:B- at mine is between bottom 5-20%

Seems pretty unrealistic, but I am sure it is widely different at every school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:28 pm

yea i know it sucks but its the suggested curve.. if the prof is nice, he'll only give out 5% C+

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:44 pm

mvp99 wrote:yea i know it sucks but its the suggested curve.. if the prof is nice, he'll only give out 5% C+
So I transferred to a T25, I am not very familiar with the grading polices here yet. I just looked them up.

4.0 A
3.67 A-
3.33 B+
3.0 B
2.67 B-

The mean for upper level courses is 3.3, so yeah a B- is two grades below median at my school. I apologize for my ignorance, that seems so harsh. I guess my grades aren't as good as I thought! Seems so counter intuitive, generally when you see A's and B's you think that is pretty good. Guess not!

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:55 am

One of my friends got hired with me at one of the NYC DA offices with a C in crimpro. So it's not impossible, but you should speak with the professor on what you did wrong.

aretoodeetoo

New

Post by aretoodeetoo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:12 am

While I subscribe to the "grades matter a lot" - a career in crim law doesn't seem as dependent on grades as big law. i'm pretty sure everyone who wanted to work for the DAs office for free got a summer because 1. you are working for free and 2. they are normally always swamped. I think working super hard there past summer and into the school year (again, not getting paid) might mean more than a B- or a C.

I don't know for sure, I never did the DA office crap - I just know the 20 or so classmates I had that participated in those programs did it to do it. Maybe 1 or 2 were super interested in crim careers.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:16 pm

Current prosecutor at one of the top offices
... worst grade in law school was crim law, never took crim pro or evidence... did some internships during the year at pd/da offices and had a bunch of crim interviews and no one ever asked or seemed to care about those transcript anomalies.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”