Choosing Classes for this Coming Semester/Studying Abroad Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
whitecollar23

Bronze

Choosing Classes for this Coming Semester/Studying Abroad

Post by whitecollar23 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:19 pm

Hey everyone! I'm having trouble picking my last class for this coming semester. I'm going into litigation at big firm, and I want to take interesting classes, but also ones that will actually be somewhat useful for practice.

Currently, I'm taking (so far this coming semester):
Complex Lit, Crim Pro, and M&A. I'm thinking of maybe adding Secured Transactions or Compliance and Risk Management.

First year I took:
Civ Pro, Contracts, Torts, Crim, Admin Law, and Property.

Last semester I took:
Income Tax, Antitrust, Corporate Finance, and Evidence.

As for next year, I want to study abroad in the spring, which means I have to take PR and Con Law in the fall. I also want to do a clinic in the fall, which means I may be stuck never taking Corporations--is that an issue?

Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated!

banjo

Silver

Re: Choosing Classes for this Coming Semester/Studying Abroad

Post by banjo » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:29 pm

I think it's strange not to take Corporations in law school, especially if you're going to be a big firm associate. Rest of the schedule looks legit. I've heard that Fed Courts could be good if you're interested in clerking down the road.

whitecollar23

Bronze

Post by whitecollar23 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:00 pm

banjo wrote:I think it's strange not to take Corporations in law school, especially if you're going to be a big firm associate. Rest of the schedule looks legit. I've heard that Fed Courts could be good if you're interested in clerking down the road.
So Corporations is a must? That would mean if I want to study abroad I need to add a Professional Responsibility this semester.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:52 pm

Corporations is pretty close to a must. Take a look at this ATL post and the accompanying article: http://abovethelaw.com/2014/02/best-classes-for-biglaw/

whitecollar23

Bronze

Post by whitecollar23 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:58 pm

banjo wrote:Corporations is pretty close to a must. Take a look at this ATL post and the accompanying article: http://abovethelaw.com/2014/02/best-classes-for-biglaw/
So now I feel like I also have to take a securities course. I'm guessing taking that both Secured Transactions and Compliance and Risk Management would be a waste of time?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:42 pm

Yeah, it could be worth trying to fit Securities Regulation into the schedule. Apparently it's an area that's hard to learn in practice alone. Here's a useful paper (more for transactional people though): http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... id=1430087

whitecollar23

Bronze

Post by whitecollar23 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:40 pm

banjo wrote:Yeah, it could be worth trying to fit Securities Regulation into the schedule. Apparently it's an area that's hard to learn in practice alone. Here's a useful paper (more for transactional people though): http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... id=1430087
Aha, and a course like Secured Transactions isn't really necessary, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”