Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
S. Goodman

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:01 pm

I haven't gotten orders to ODS yet, my understanding is that they are written and ready to go, but they're waiting on the funding.

But I did find out where I'm going to be stationed, I got my number one choice!

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:25 am

S. Goodman wrote:I haven't gotten orders to ODS yet, my understanding is that they are written and ready to go, but they're waiting on the funding.

I was told the same (waiting on the budget). I was told best case scenario budget at end of September. But with it being election year... Who knows.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:13 pm

S. Goodman wrote:I haven't gotten orders to ODS yet, my understanding is that they are written and ready to go, but they're waiting on the funding.

Congrats! Where are you going?!

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:11 pm

cubbies44 wrote:

I was told the same (waiting on the budget). I was told best case scenario budget at end of September. But with it being election year... Who knows.

Wait what? ODS is scheduled for Sept. 11. How can orders come out after that?

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:23 am

S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:

Wait what? ODS is scheduled for Sept. 11. How can orders come out after that?

I don't have orders for September 11 so yours is probably different than mine. Sorry should have put that in the first message.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:26 pm

cubbies44 wrote:
I don't have orders for September 11 so yours is probably different than mine. Sorry should have put that in the first message.

Oh alright, cool. lol

Husky09

Postby Husky09 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:17 pm

Congratulations! I didn't realize that station location was assigned pre-ODS. What was the process like for listing your preferences? Did you get any sense (from recruiter or someone else) about which stations were more competitive than others, or which stations would have a need around your start time? Is there any sort of feedback/contextual info to help with the decision and ranking, or did you just list your top choices and cross your fingers?

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:30 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:

Oh alright, cool. lol

Just got the phone call today! My contract should be in by Friday and looking like ODS on September 11!!!

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:07 pm

Husky09 wrote:

Congratulations! I didn't realize that station location was assigned pre-ODS. What was the process like for listing your preferences? Did you get any sense (from recruiter or someone else) about which stations were more competitive than others, or which stations would have a need around your start time? Is there any sort of feedback/contextual info to help with the decision and ranking, or did you just list your top choices and cross your fingers?

I was given a list with like 12 options and blanks to list top 9 I believe.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:25 pm

cubbies44 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:

Oh alright, cool. lol

Just got the phone call today! My contract should be in by Friday and looking like ODS on September 11!!!

Nice! When you say contract do you mean your commissioning paperwork? Or you should be getting orders by Friday?

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:30 pm

Husky09 wrote:

Yeah it's a tentative assignment, subject to change of course. My understanding is that the time you find out your station can vary depending on who is working on it. But clearly it can be really soon because they know where the September ODS class people are headed.

In regard to selection, you fill out your dream sheet about 6 months before your ODS class. It is emailed with a bunch of other paperwork for pay and stuff. I havent had any contact with my recruiter since I was commissioned over a year ago, all the paperwork came from TN. I suppose competivness varies depending on time, but the difficulty in getting certain stations is fairly obvious I think. Clearly Italy, Hawaii etc. are always highly sought after, making them difficult to get.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:57 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:

Oh alright, cool. lol

Nice! When you say contract do you mean your commissioning paperwork? Or you should be getting orders by Friday?

Yes, the service agreement/commissioning paperwork. I have no idea when I will find out about location. Probably not for awhile.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:07 am

Does anyone have any idea when funding will be available so we can get our September ODS orders?!!

JEB

Postby JEB » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:25 am

S. Goodman wrote:Does anyone have any idea when funding will be available so we can get our September ODS orders?!!

When I spoke with them earlier this week, it sounded like they should be getting sent out shortly.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:10 am

JEB wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:Does anyone have any idea when funding will be available so we can get our September ODS orders?!!

When I spoke with them earlier this week, it sounded like they should be getting sent out shortly.

Has anyone heard anything about uniforms? Since they are phasing out the blueberries, I wondered what that meant for us.

CharlieAvocado

Postby CharlieAvocado » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:57 pm

cubbies44 wrote:
JEB wrote:

Has anyone heard anything about uniforms? Since they are phasing out the blueberries, I wondered what that meant for us.

This is my big concern. I'm looking an OCS date of around May '17, NJS that fall, then duty station around Dec or Jan '18. I keep reading that the new uniforms are going to come out Spring '18. Which frankly sucks timing wise for me. I'm already going to be broke buying the old uniforms RIGHT after paying for the bar process; guess I'll be stuck in the outdated and allegedly less comfy ones for a while until they force the chance in like 2020.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:37 pm

CharlieAvocado wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:
JEB wrote:

This is my big concern. I'm looking an OCS date of around May '17, NJS that fall, then duty station around Dec or Jan '18. I keep reading that the new uniforms are going to come out Spring '18. Which frankly sucks timing wise for me. I'm already going to be broke buying the old uniforms RIGHT after paying for the bar process; guess I'll be stuck in the outdated and allegedly less comfy ones for a while until they force the chance in like 2020.

See, I read at one place it was October 2017 then I read another October of this year. Then I read it was mandatory by 2019. I'm so confused. I'm worried I'm going to buy the blueberries this upcoming ODS and then report in probably January and have to immediately buy new ones.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:14 pm

CharlieAvocado wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:
JEB wrote:

Just read a new article that the women slacks are changing in 2018 as well. So it's starting to look like we may be buying completely new uniforms a few years down the road

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:37 pm

Even though I am one of the first females to join the military in my family, I am not the first to put on a uniform. Uniform changes (and the prices that come with them) have been screwing over members for years and will for years to come. If you are going to make a career out of this, you might as well just get used to budgeting for it. Hooyah.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Just took the oath! I'm in!

usn26

Postby usn26 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:24 pm

cubbies44 wrote:Just took the oath! I'm in!

Congrats!

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:35 pm

Congrats!

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:56 pm

Thank you! Super excited

CharlieAvocado

Postby CharlieAvocado » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:41 pm

Congrats!

I don't think anybody knows when they're going to come out, because of current contracts, stockpiles, and bureaucracy! The way I understand it is you almost always have about two years to transition to new uniforms, because of cost, etc. We just happen to be going in somewhere in that 2 year period, or right before it and may not have the new options available to us immediately. I'm just hoping as much new stuff as possible comes out before I go in/have to buy it all!

Who has done OCS recently? Do you have to buy the ENTIRE uniform line then and there, or do you get to pick which pieces you want? Because I know I'm not about the skirts, and may choose to skip the summer white uniform, which I believe is optional?

I love this Navy Times Quote: " 'I wear a six normally," she said, "but in the Navy I am a 14 or 16.' "

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:00 am

Congrats!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”