Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cubbies44

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby cubbies44 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:47 am

For those of you who have already commissioned, how long did it take? I read you have more paperwork, height and weight measurements, and then oath. I was curious how long it took? I was wanting my family to come but don't want them to have to wait forever.

NAVJAG1

Postby NAVJAG1 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:45 pm

cubbies44 wrote:For those of you who have already commissioned, how long did it take? I read you have more paperwork, height and weight measurements, and then oath. I was curious how long it took? I was wanting my family to come but don't want them to have to wait forever.

I did mine over a lunch hour.

NAVJAG1

Postby NAVJAG1 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:52 pm

JEB wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:I have a question for you guys further along in the process. I read that we will need $2,000-$3,000 when we go to ODS to purchase uniforms... A. Is that extremely large number accurate? And B. Where are we supposed to get $3,000 from when we just graduated law school and took bar exam?

They'll actually take payment in blood. $500/qt, but only if you pay all at once. :P

Honestly, yes, our uniforms will cost a pretty penny, in part because military uniforms are expensive and in part because we have so many different ones that we have to buy the components of (SDBs, SDWs, Summer Whites, Khakis, NWUs, PT). Unless you have that kind of cash lying around (or can borrow it from someone), you'll probably be stuck with doing the STAR Card (which does get you a 10% discount, but it's a brand new revolving credit account on your credit report, not the best for your credit score) and paying it down in the 5th week of training using your pay from the previous four weeks.

I obviously have not been to ODS yet, though, so I can't say with certainty.

I recently finished ODS in May. Yes, that is accurate. My total was around $2,200. You could get away with a bit under $2000 if you choose the cheaper dress blue option, but I went ahead and paid more for the Brooks Brothers because I figured JAGs use it more often than most people so I would get my money out of it.

There is a Star Card and you don't charge it until the final week of ODS. You get $450 uniform allowance pay to help and 10% off if you are opening up a Star card for the first time. Not going to lie, most of your pay from ODS will go towards uniforms.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:34 pm

NAVJAG1 wrote:
JEB wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:I have a question for you guys further along in the process. I read that we will need $2,000-$3,000 when we go to ODS to purchase uniforms... A. Is that extremely large number accurate? And B. Where are we supposed to get $3,000 from when we just graduated law school and took bar exam?

They'll actually take payment in blood. $500/qt, but only if you pay all at once. :P

Honestly, yes, our uniforms will cost a pretty penny, in part because military uniforms are expensive and in part because we have so many different ones that we have to buy the components of (SDBs, SDWs, Summer Whites, Khakis, NWUs, PT). Unless you have that kind of cash lying around (or can borrow it from someone), you'll probably be stuck with doing the STAR Card (which does get you a 10% discount, but it's a brand new revolving credit account on your credit report, not the best for your credit score) and paying it down in the 5th week of training using your pay from the previous four weeks.

I obviously have not been to ODS yet, though, so I can't say with certainty.

I recently finished ODS in May. Yes, that is accurate. My total was around $2,200. You could get away with a bit under $2000 if you choose the cheaper dress blue option, but I went ahead and paid more for the Brooks Brothers because I figured JAGs use it more often than most people so I would get my money out of it.

There is a Star Card and you don't charge it until the final week of ODS. You get $450 uniform allowance pay to help and 10% off if you are opening up a Star card for the first time. Not going to lie, most of your pay from ODS will go towards uniforms.

Great, thank you for all the information. That is really helpful. And Congrats on completing ODS!

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:29 am

Has anybody here looked into the USAA Career Starter Loan? I was thinking: Bar Study, Down-time between bar and ODS, and Uniform cost.

My commissioning took about an hour as well.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:05 am

Ramrezyeh wrote:Has anybody here looked into the USAA Career Starter Loan? I was thinking: Bar Study, Down-time between bar and ODS, and Uniform cost.

I have not. I'm assuming you have to be commissioned already to receive it though? I am still waiting so I'm betting that's not an option for me.

cdemps3

Postby cdemps3 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:10 pm

Ramrezyeh wrote:Has anybody here looked into the USAA Career Starter Loan? I was thinking: Bar Study, Down-time between bar and ODS, and Uniform cost.

Is this common? I am a little stressed about that time period as well.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:14 pm

I am currently in this time period and it's awful. No one wants to hire someone who A. doesn't have a license because you're currently studying for the bar, B. are only looking for a couple months of work, and C. again, studying for the bar so basically only want 2-3 days a week.

lawschoolgirl12345

Postby lawschoolgirl12345 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:58 pm

How much the lsat score matter in being picked for a Navy jag internship and Navy jag position?

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:16 am

lawschoolgirl12345 wrote:How much the lsat score matter in being picked for a Navy jag internship and Navy jag position?

The Navy looks at the "whole person". I personally don't think my LSAT score mattered that much. Unless you scored near perfect or completely bombed it, I don't think it matters that much. There are several other factors that matter more like GPA in law school, volunteer activities, activities that show leadership skills, Moot Court, etc.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:55 am

cdemps3 wrote:

I had never heard of this until I read the above post; I've had USAA for years and years. I googled it, and then called USAA about it. It looks like a good deal, it is a unsecured personal loan, up to 25k, at 2.99 interest rate. Needless to say that is a ridiculously low rate on a unsecured loan. You do not need to have any income to qualify, unlike a regular loan. All you need is your oath of office, and orders to active duty (ODS counts) to qualify.

After reading about it, I applied. I've been looking for a debt consolidation option and haven't been able to find one. I got approved over the phone immediately, but I haven't gotten orders yet so I can't finalize the loan until that happens. You can accept less than the 25k if you want, they approve pretty much everyone up to the 25k though.

By the way, the paperwork for ODS finally got sent out! What were you alls base selections? I picked mine out of a hat just for fun! lol Apparently the first ODS class for those taking the Bar this July is Sept. 11th.

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:20 am

S. Goodman wrote:
cdemps3 wrote:

I had never heard of this until I read the above post; I've had USAA for years and years. I googled it, and then called USAA about it. It looks like a good deal, it is a unsecured personal loan, up to 25k, at 2.99 interest rate. Needless to say that is a ridiculously low rate on a unsecured loan. You do not need to have any income to qualify, unlike a regular loan. All you need is your oath of office, and orders to active duty (ODS counts) to qualify.

After reading about it, I applied. I've been looking for a debt consolidation option and haven't been able to find one. I got approved over the phone immediately, but I haven't gotten orders yet so I can't finalize the loan until that happens. You can accept less than the 25k if you want, they approve pretty much everyone up to the 25k though.

By the way, the paperwork for ODS finally got sent out! What were you alls base selections? I picked mine out of a hat just for fun! lol Apparently the first ODS class for those taking the Bar this July is Sept. 11th.

http://www.med.navy.mil/Accessions/Page ... chool.aspx

So we can't go to the one at end of July? I was really wanting to get started immediately.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:27 am

Saul,

Glad to see you are almost there - you've done a great job posting on this board and giving a peek behind the curtain. Hopefully you can give a good run down of ODS and NJS as well - seems to be a lot of questions.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:05 pm

cubbies44 wrote:

So we can't go to the one at end of July? I was really wanting to get started immediately.

I don't think so, but you'd have to call accessions to find out for sure. Your ODS class date is based on when your bar releases results because you must pass the bar to attend NJS. If you went to ODS in July there would be a huge gap between when you went to ODS and when you went to NJS.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:07 pm

Fed_Atty wrote:Saul,

Glad to see you are almost there - you've done a great job posting on this board and giving a peek behind the curtain. Hopefully you can give a good run down of ODS and NJS as well - seems to be a lot of questions.

Absolutely, no problem at all! I'm going to try and post frequent updates. But that'll depend on how busy things are!

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:13 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:

I don't think so, but you'd have to call accessions to find out for sure. Your ODS class date is based on when your bar releases results because you must pass the bar to attend NJS. If you went to ODS in July there would be a huge gap between when you went to ODS and when you went to NJS.

My results come out mid September so it would almost be perfect with how long ODS is. I can't find anywhere when NJS is. When I interviewed I think they told me there was one in October but can't find it anywhere. Either way, exciting news!

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:13 pm

cubbies44 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:

My results come out mid September so it would almost be perfect with how long ODS is. I can't find anywhere when NJS is. When I interviewed I think they told me there was one in October but can't find it anywhere. Either way, exciting news!

Mine releases around that time too. You're definitely going September 11th. Lol

cubbies44

Postby cubbies44 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:46 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:

Mine releases around that time too. You're definitely going September 11th. Lol

Thank you for information. Hoping to find out soon. Still waiting on security check. Hopefully will be joining you in September!

thelincolnlawyer

Postby thelincolnlawyer » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:05 pm

For those of you who landed unpaid internships, how did you get additional funding for the summer? The school I will be attending gives a $3K (I think) stipend for the summer for non-paid positions, but that definitely won't be enough to cover expenses for 10 weeks. I'll probably need somewhere in the $7,500 range total for summer expenses, and that's assuming I'd be able to land an internship in DC where my school is.

FrogLaw

Postby FrogLaw » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:21 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
cdemps3 wrote:
Ramrezyeh wrote:By the way, the paperwork for ODS finally got sent out! What were you alls base selections? I picked mine out of a hat just for fun! lol Apparently the first ODS class for those taking the Bar this July is Sept. 11th.

Has the paperwork for ODS just gone out for the people in the first ODS? Or do you know if they are sending out the paperwork for everyone?

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:47 pm

FrogLaw wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
cdemps3 wrote:
Ramrezyeh wrote:By the way, the paperwork for ODS finally got sent out! What were you alls base selections? I picked mine out of a hat just for fun! lol Apparently the first ODS class for those taking the Bar this July is Sept. 11th.

Has the paperwork for ODS just gone out for the people in the first ODS? Or do you know if they are sending out the paperwork for everyone?

I would guess that if you haven't gotten it then you're slated to go to the second ODS class in October. They emailed a litany of documents, nothing was mailed; so if you haven't received it then that is probably what is going on. I got the email last week. There was a duty preference sheet, updated W4, direct deposit form, dependents form etc. etc. Mostly stuff you did when commissioning, these were just the updated ones.

Or they could have a bad email address down for you. Maybe call to make sure?

cdemps3

Postby cdemps3 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:26 pm

thelincolnlawyer wrote:For those of you who landed unpaid internships, how did you get additional funding for the summer? The school I will be attending gives a $3K (I think) stipend for the summer for non-paid positions, but that definitely won't be enough to cover expenses for 10 weeks. I'll probably need somewhere in the $7,500 range total for summer expenses, and that's assuming I'd be able to land an internship in DC where my school is.

Budget budget budget. I'm on my second unpaid internship in a row right now. In DC, consider subleasing on the metro line somewhere outside of the city, go out less, maybe get a weekend job. It really sucks, but it is possible to make it through.

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:32 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
cdemps3 wrote:

I was wondering if I would have to wait until orders were sent. If you haven't received them yet, I imagine trying to use the loan for Bar prep purposes would not be a good idea.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:34 pm

thelincolnlawyer wrote:For those of you who landed unpaid internships, how did you get additional funding for the summer? The school I will be attending gives a $3K (I think) stipend for the summer for non-paid positions, but that definitely won't be enough to cover expenses for 10 weeks. I'll probably need somewhere in the $7,500 range total for summer expenses, and that's assuming I'd be able to land an internship in DC where my school is.

I just took a class (you could also do an externship for credit) and got financial aid. Obviously not ideal if you want to keep COA down, but it's an option.

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:53 am

Speaking of financials, I swore I read somewhere that JAGs get matching contributions to their 401(k)-like TSP, which is the exception to the rule for military members, as a retention aid. But I thought I'd heard that somewhere. It would be a little disheartening to not have matching contributions as a lawyer, a pretty universal benefit for most in our profession. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”