Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Stubbazubba

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Stubbazubba » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:54 pm

...aaand I'm locked out of my account because the new password they e-mailed me when I clicked "Forgot Password" didn't work. This is not a great day.

Very happy for those that got in, though! Congratulations! Make us proud!

cdemps3

Postby cdemps3 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:15 pm

Haha although I can understand the skepticism, no, I am not bluffing. I also appreciate the congratulations, thank you all!

I got a call at 2:12 pm from a DC number. It was a male. The call was brief, and I don't recall his name or even rank. I was too excited to really note anything. He did say that I may not receive an e-mail for a few days, which leads me to believe the process is going to roll on for a few more days.

I then got an e-mail at 4:53 pm. The subject line was in reference to SP 2L, so perhaps the 3L's will receive them in a different batch later in the week?

I wish you all the best! I'm looking forward to working with the other candidates accepted. If you would like more details, please PM me.

cdemps3

Postby cdemps3 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:16 pm

Also, my application still says "Pending."

wg6524

Postby wg6524 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:09 pm

Still pending over here. Congrats to all those selected so far! Hopefully there is more good news for many of us in the near future!

lawschoolgirl12345

Postby lawschoolgirl12345 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:46 pm

Anyone who was selected willing to share their Navy JAG internship motivational statement ? I'm curious to see what you wrote.

LS123456

Postby LS123456 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:17 am

My status was updated.

wg6524

Postby wg6524 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:51 am

Mine too.

gwcolonial24

Postby gwcolonial24 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:25 pm

Congratulations to the Spring 2016 Board selectees. Welcome Aboard! As of right now, I'm slated to attend NJS on January 2017. Hope to meet some of you there.

fhqwhgads

Postby fhqwhgads » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:00 pm

gwcolonial24 wrote:Congratulations to the Spring 2016 Board selectees. Welcome Aboard! As of right now, I'm slated to attend NJS on January 2017. Hope to meet some of you there.

Seconded, and I'm also set to go to NJS in January. If anyone has any questions about what MEPS or the commissioning process is like, feel free to PM me.

cdemps3

Postby cdemps3 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:40 pm

Thanks! I'm sure I'll have some questions for y'all down the road. To be honest I'm not very familiar with the process from here on out aside from the basics. I'm looking forward to meet those also PR'd down the road. Good luck to everyone reapplying/applying next cycle!

cdemps3

Postby cdemps3 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:25 pm

lawschoolgirl12345 wrote:Anyone who was selected willing to share their Navy JAG internship motivational statement ? I'm curious to see what you wrote.

Relatively personal stuff. I talked about how the military had always been a consideration for me, how I have always pursued public service, and how I have excelled in leadership positions. You don't have too much room to work with.

bklynattorney

Postby bklynattorney » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:35 pm

Congrats to those who were selected! While I'm not a JAG (I'm a Naval cryptology officer), I know how tough the JAG application can be. Talking to the JAG officers that I know, though, everything is worth it in the end if/when you are selected.

lawschoolgirl12345

Postby lawschoolgirl12345 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:46 pm

In terms of the Navy JAG internship application, does it undergo a background check/reference check before the applicant is selected or after the applicant is selected? It seems from what I am reading that it is the later, but I wanted to check to see if any of you might know. It seems like even interns have to go through a security clearance as well and, for those who have a foreign passport or dual citizenship, they will have to renounce it after being selected for the internship.

cdemps3

Postby cdemps3 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:56 pm

lawschoolgirl12345 wrote:In terms of the Navy JAG internship application, does it undergo a background check/reference check before the applicant is selected or after the applicant is selected? It seems from what I am reading that it is the later, but I wanted to check to see if any of you might know. It seems like even interns have to go through a security clearance as well and, for those who have a foreign passport or dual citizenship, they will have to renounce it after being selected for the internship.

I can't speak directly to the Navy JAG internship, but I interned with a USAO and the background check took place after being selected. I can't imagine that they would do it beforehand for every applicant. That would be extremely expensive and time consuming.

JEB

Postby JEB » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:01 am

They do the background check after selection. (I never did the internship, but another student at my school got selected and then got disqualified on the basis of the background check.)

cdemps3

Postby cdemps3 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:44 pm

Does anyone know how long it takes for the Navy Recruiter to reach out after you have accepted a professional recommendation? I'm a 2L if that matters. Thanks!

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:47 pm

cdemps3 wrote:Does anyone know how long it takes for the Navy Recruiter to reach out after you have accepted a professional recommendation? I'm a 2L if that matters. Thanks!

It really depends on how busy the recruiting office is. You will likely be lower down on the list - the big push will be to get the Direct Appointments commissioned ASAP so that they can go to Justice School this summer. 3Ls will be next and then finally the 2Ls.

cdemps3

Postby cdemps3 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:50 pm

Makes sense, thank you. Is it normal for 2L's to actually be able to commission by the end of the summer then? Or does anyone know if its usually after that typically?

FrogLaw

Postby FrogLaw » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:44 pm

cdemps3 wrote:Makes sense, thank you. Is it normal for 2L's to actually be able to commission by the end of the summer then? Or does anyone know if its usually after that typically?

I was able to commission in July, and I think thats pretty typical from what I've heard

cdemps3

Postby cdemps3 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:59 pm

Okay, great. Thank you!

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:25 am

cdemps3 wrote:Does anyone know how long it takes for the Navy Recruiter to reach out after you have accepted a professional recommendation? I'm a 2L if that matters. Thanks!

I was PR'd as a 2L in the Fall. I was not assigned my recruiter until about 4 weeks after my PR. Once I was assigned, I emailed him and heard back a few days later.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:21 pm

FrogLaw wrote:
cdemps3 wrote:Makes sense, thank you. Is it normal for 2L's to actually be able to commission by the end of the summer then? Or does anyone know if its usually after that typically?

I was able to commission in July, and I think thats pretty typical from what I've heard

Also commissioned at the end of last July. If everything is smooth July is probably when it'll happen.

cdemps3

Postby cdemps3 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:44 pm

Excellent. Thank you all! I can't wait to get the process over with.

CharlieAvocado

Postby CharlieAvocado » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:45 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
FrogLaw wrote:

Also commissioned at the end of last July. If everything is smooth July is probably when it'll happen.

That's super useful info, both of y'all. Thanks. I've been waiting on recruiter info and was starting to sweat because it'd been a few days! I'll just sit back and chill through finals, then worry again.

Stubbazubba

Postby Stubbazubba » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:52 pm

Has anyone heard any statistics about this board? I know last board they ended up taking 16% of applicants. Did anyone hear anything like that this time around?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”