Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
S. Goodman

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:54 pm

I was lookng through my jag stuff today because I was bored and saw this letter I received when I got my pro rec. I posted it below. I would have loved to have read this a year ago; I hope it provides more insight into the process!

4 May 2015

To: Professionally Recommended Applicant

Subj: PROFESSIONAL RECOMMENDATION FOR THE NAVY JUDGE ADVOCATE
GENERAL’S (JAG) CORPS

1. Congratulations! You have been professionally recommended for selection and commission in the U.S. Navy Judge Advocate General's (JAG) Corps Student Program, to begin active duty in Fiscal Year 2017. You should be proud of this professional recommendation. The board was very competitive and this recommendation is the first step towards becoming a Navy JAG Corps officer.

2. Acceptance/declination deadline. You have until 5:00 P.M. Central time on 11 May 2015 to accept or decline this recommendation, in writing (email is sufficient). Declination or failure to respond will result in loss of your Professional Recommendation.

3. Commissioning. The next step is to work with a Navy Officer Programs Recruiter to complete the application process. Please provide the address you will be residing at during the commissioning process so we can assign you to a Navy Recruiting District for that area. Once identified, please contact the Officer Programs Officer immediately to begin working on your commissioning application.

b. You have 60 days from 11 May 2014 (although sooner is always better) to work with your recruiter to complete and submit the following information:

(1) Application for Navy commission

(2) Navy Accession Security Information System (NASIS) questionnaire

(3) Physical examination with the Medical Entrance Processing Station (MEPS)

c. Please note that all applicants for a Navy commission, regardless of program or professional specialty, must meet the same physical requirements. Should you not meet those requirements, you will be deemed Not Physically Qualified (NPQ) for commissioning. In the event of an NPQ determination, you will not be processed further and you will lose your Professional Recommendation.

d. If you do meet all the requirements for commissioning, you will receive a Final Selection letter from the Commander, Navy Recruiting Command, after your appointment has been confirmed by the Office of the Secretary of Defense.

(1) Once you are Finally Selected and confirmed, your commissioning documents will be sent to your recruiter.

(2) After you have accepted your commission, ask your Navy recruiter to forward your commissioning documents to my office. We will then send you a “Welcome Aboard” email with specific information about what to expect next.

4. Contact information. You can reach the JAG Corps Accessions office at (901) 874-4084/4087. Please keep us informed of your progress through the commissioning process, and let us know if you have any questions along the way. If your plans change and you no longer want to pursue a commission in the Navy JAG Corps, please let us know immediately. We look forward to working with you!

/s/ /s/
S. A. COLLINS E. C. GEHLEN

gwcolonial24

Postby gwcolonial24 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:13 pm

I think someone posted a question about this topic a few weeks ago.

If you are a commissioned officer in the reserves, you will have to get a Condition Release (DD-368) from your branch / component before accepting an AD commission in the Navy JAG (including Navy to Navy). You will resign your reserve commission and be commissioned again as an active duty Navy JAG Corps officer. As such, your time in grade will reset.

Also, you might be able to do your medical commissioning physical Part I & II at a Military Treatment Facility (MTF) instead of MEPS. A big plus since you won't spend a lot of time waiting around for your turn.

Hope that helps!

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:46 pm

gwcolonial24 wrote:You will resign your [] commission and be commissioned again as [a] . . . Navy JAG Corps officer. As such, your time in grade will reset.

Edited!

This sucks! But I can personally confirm that this is true. One of my interviewers used to be an O4 aviator in the Navy, when he switched over to Jag he went back to O3, and had to wait the same amount of time (about 4-6 years) as all of his peer Jags to make O4 . . . again.
Last edited by S. Goodman on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:04 pm

S. Goodman wrote:This sucks! But I can personally confirm that this is true. One of my interviewers used to be an O4 aviator in the Navy, when he switched over to Jag he went back to O2, and then O3 within a year, and had to wait the same amount of time (about 4-6 years) as all of his peer Jags to make O4 . . . again. Time in any service, either as officer or enlisted, does not count towards promotion in the Navy Jag.

Close. You do get up to a year's credit for prior commissioned service, so day 1 of NJS you are a LT, not a LTJG. Your time does count for pay though, so you may be a brand new LT for promotion purposes but could be getting paid as an O3 over x depending on how many years of previous service.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:00 pm

Fed_Atty wrote:Close. You do get up to a year's credit for prior commissioned service, so day 1 of NJS you are a LT, not a LTJG. Your time does count for pay though, so you may be a brand new LT for promotion purposes but could be getting paid as an O3 over x depending on how many years of previous service.

Oh alright sorry for the misinformation! I must have misunderstood! Is the 4-6 years to make O4 correct? How soon is it conceivably possible to make O4? If you don't get it after 8 years you have to get out right?

How much enlisted service does a person need to get the "e" designation on their rank for pay purposes? I read "four years and a day." But don't most enlistees only sign up for four year contracts? Does the rule make it to where an enlistee would have to serve two contracts to get the "e" designation?

Also, if you don't mind answering an additional question. If you are currently, or were a former Navy Jag, can you tell us all what NJS is like? There is a lot of information out there about ODS, but not NJS. Stuff like the work schedule, living arrangements, time off, family visits, having cars, liberty, weekends, curriculum, testing requirements, graduation, etc.

Thank you in advance!

If anyone else has information could you also chime in?

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:59 am

S. Goodman wrote:
Fed_Atty wrote:Close. You do get up to a year's credit for prior commissioned service, so day 1 of NJS you are a LT, not a LTJG. Your time does count for pay though, so you may be a brand new LT for promotion purposes but could be getting paid as an O3 over x depending on how many years of previous service.

Oh alright sorry for the misinformation! I must have misunderstood! Is the 4-6 years to make O4 correct? How soon is it conceivably possible to make O4? If you don't get it after 8 years you have to get out right?

4-6 years is the general time frame. Conceivably, you cold get selected below zone, but that has not happened in a number of years. Generally, if you fail to select twice, you are separated

How much enlisted service does a person need to get the "e" designation on their rank for pay purposes? I read "four years and a day." But don't most enlistees only sign up for four year contracts? Does the rule make it to where an enlistee would have to serve two contracts to get the "e" designation?

Sorry, I was never enlisted so never looked into this.

Also, if you don't mind answering an additional question. If you are currently, or were a former Navy Jag, can you tell us all what NJS is like? There is a lot of information out there about ODS, but not NJS. Stuff like the work schedule, living arrangements, time off, family visits, having cars, liberty, weekends, curriculum, testing requirements, graduation, etc.

One JAG I used to know described NJS as law school with a paycheck. In general, it is a pretty good experience. When I went through, you all stay on base in the Navy equivalent of a mid grade hotel. You have your own room, room service, etc. You draw the partial per diem rate of about $45 a day for food and it covers your lodging. If you have dependents you will likely draw BAH too. However, be prepared for your pay to be screwed up for the first few weeks. They will get it fixed, but you just need to have a cushion, even if it is credit cards.

Day to day is essentially class from ~0800 to 1700. The classrooms are a real short walk from where you are staying, probably about a 5 minute walk. You learn the major practice areas, in the following order - Legal Assistance, Command Advice/OPLAW, and Trial Advocacy. There are some assignments overnight, but not many. You typically take a test once a week or once every other week, almost all multiple choice. You will do a few writing assignments as well - a sample JAGMAN, an ethics opinion, but nothing too huge. There is a bit more work for the Trial Advocacy because you do two mock cases - a guilty plea and a full contested trial. Still nothing crazy.

There is plenty of time on the weekdays to go out and explore Newport in the evenings and most weekends you have to yourself. You will have to stand watch, at least twice over the course of NJS. It is easy, but it does kind of suck if you have to hang around on the weekend. In general, you can leave the immediate area over weekends and holidays - you just have to let the command know.

Bottom line, just behave like an adult. Invariably there are some knuckleheads who get a bad start to their military career by continually showing up late, showing up drunk (really did happen), drinking too much and getting belligerent or into fights (again really did happen), but this is the exception. You are graded on certain evolutions and doing well can give you a few bullets in your FITREP, but it doesn't have any long term effect. If you fail to score at least a 70% on graded evolutions, they may make you do remedial work - but I think it is virtually impossible to fail out.

There are a few mandatory social functions, but overall you can do whatever you want when not in class. There will be little cliques that form, but not in a bad way. At least in my class everyone was pretty laid back and cool - there are really no gunners (there isn't a point).

Hope that helps.

Thank you in advance!

If anyone else has information could you also chime in?

gwcolonial24

Postby gwcolonial24 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Anyone that was Professionally Recommended during the fall 2015 board done with Phase II? I got everything done except for the DD-368, Conditional Release from the Navy Reserve. The recruiter needs the approved DD-368 before he can submit commissioning kit for final approval.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:31 pm

Thanks for the reply Fed_Atty. Did anyone have their wives stay with them during their time at NJS?

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:58 am

S. Goodman wrote:Thanks for the reply Fed_Atty. Did anyone have their wives stay with them during their time at NJS?

Second this. I've heard it's allowed, but some people thought it a faux pas. Any truth there, because we've never been to New England and would love the time to explore together. If they can, and you are on base, does that mean you don't get BAH pay?

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:36 am

JAG Hopeful wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:Thanks for the reply Fed_Atty. Did anyone have their wives stay with them during their time at NJS?

Second this. I've heard it's allowed, but some people thought it a faux pas. Any truth there, because we've never been to New England and would love the time to explore together. If they can, and you are on base, does that mean you don't get BAH pay?

I bet there is no issue if your wife is staying in like an extended stay hotel or something off base. Maybe there would be an issue if she was staying in your room with you though? If it is, paying for a hotel for 10 weeks would be a huge financial hit. If I don't get guidance I may just do it on the DL. lol If our housing situation while there is essentially a hotel then I don't know how anyone would know. Perhaps it is better to ask for forgiveness, than permission? ha ha

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:33 am

There shouldn't be any problems with bringing spouse. If I remember correctly they even encourage it. There were a few people who brought their wives with them and a couple even had young kids.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:14 pm

Fed_Atty wrote:There shouldn't be any problems with bringing spouse. If I remember correctly they even encourage it. There were a few people who brought their wives with them and a couple even had young kids.

Thanks for the reply!

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:24 pm

gwcolonial24 wrote:Anyone that was Professionally Recommended during the fall 2015 board done with Phase II? I got everything done except for the DD-368, Conditional Release from the Navy Reserve. The recruiter needs the approved DD-368 before he can submit commissioning kit for final approval.

Still working on phase two. Slow communication back and forth. Perhaps a week and a half away from MEPS. (Fingers crossed)

wg6524

Postby wg6524 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:04 pm

Will they let you delay your commissioning? i.e. Your conditional release date is set after the bar exam so you can stay in the drilling reserves and maintain TRICARE for your dependents?

gwcolonial24

Postby gwcolonial24 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:55 am

wg6524 wrote:Will they let you delay your commissioning? i.e. Your conditional release date is set after the bar exam so you can stay in the drilling reserves and maintain TRICARE for your dependents?

The conditional release will most like expire 3 or 6-month after approval. Since I work full-time as a federal employee, I don't need TRICARE for me or my dependents. I'm still trying to re-commission sometime after my April drill weekend. However, if I wanted to, I could push the re-commission until sometime in the summer.

pzpzhops2

Postby pzpzhops2 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:01 pm

Just for future reference for any intern ALTERNATES, I was recently picked up for the Navy JAG Summer Internship off of the Alternate list.I was Not Professionally Recommended on the Fall 2015 board as a first time 2L applicant. Hopefully I will be picked up on this spring board or this internship will give me the recommendations I will need to get picked up on the Fall '16 board.

Stubbazubba

Postby Stubbazubba » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:25 pm

gwcolonial24 wrote:Anyone that was Professionally Recommended during the fall 2015 board done with Phase II? I got everything done except for the DD-368, Conditional Release from the Navy Reserve. The recruiter needs the approved DD-368 before he can submit commissioning kit for final approval.

One student at my school who was PR'd in the Fall 2015 board went through MEPS several weeks ago. I don't know any more details beyond that.

wg6524

Postby wg6524 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:23 am

Am I the only one checking the site to see if they've (even by an unreasonable stroke of luck) decided to hold the board early?

NAVJAG1

Postby NAVJAG1 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:07 pm

Hi everyone! Anyone attending the April 3- May 6 ODS? Or if you went to a previous ODS, care to share your thoughts and what to expect? What should I do to be ready? I understand there are a ton of blogs but would be interested in anyone else's point of view.

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:31 pm

Fall PR.. Just! got done with MEPS. Had some recruiter changeover.

For anyone wondering, if you don't go to MEPS before the 60 day deadline it is not the end of the world as long as Accessions is constantly in the know.

Now we wait..

wg6524

Postby wg6524 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:38 am

Anyone have intel on when the board is going to meet this semester? It seems like it should be in April sometime...

I keep hoping we'll get answers back before finals even start this time.... day dreams--I know--but, isn't that what brought us all to law school? :lol:

Stubbazubba

Postby Stubbazubba » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:06 pm

It's usually 10 weeks after the application deadline that you hear back, so I'm planning on hearing back between 4/22 - 4/29.

gwcolonial24

Postby gwcolonial24 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:12 pm

Anyone else from the Fall 2015 board waiting on commissioning docs? Hope to be done with the process in about 2 weeks.

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:18 pm

gwcolonial24 wrote:Anyone else from the Fall 2015 board waiting on commissioning docs? Hope to be done with the process in about 2 weeks.

I went to MEPS late (3/17). I am still waiting on the N3M letter. What was your timeline? When did your recruiter submit everything?

gwcolonial24

Postby gwcolonial24 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:41 pm

Ramrezyeh wrote:
gwcolonial24 wrote:Anyone else from the Fall 2015 board waiting on commissioning docs? Hope to be done with the process in about 2 weeks.

I went to MEPS late (3/17). I am still waiting on the N3M letter. What was your timeline? When did your recruiter submit everything?

My medical process was a little different. I didn't go through MEPS. I was able to do my commissioning physical at a medical treatment facility (MTF) near me. It was broken down into 2 parts. The first part was all preliminaries (lab work, EKG, dental, etc). The second part was actually seeing a military medical provider. I finished with the second part on Feb. 23rd. My recruiter had my N3M letter that same week. My commissioning kit was submitted up for final review and approval on March 25th. It couldn't be done sooner since my recruiter needed my approved conditional release from the Navy Reserve.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”