Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Stubbazubba

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Stubbazubba » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:31 pm

The last I heard, that is correct, but this was from an old JAG remembering what it was like when he went through. I doubt it's changed, but it's possible.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:36 pm

The above info is correct AFAIK. Often your pay is jacked at first, but it will be fixed and you will get all back pay due.

Decimus

Postby Decimus » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:41 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:Hey all, first off, congratulations to those who got selected this time around! That's awesome! Remember to please post your stats to increase transparency for the process.

For those who weren't accepted this time around, believe me, I know how hard it is. No platitude is going to make it better, and I'm really sorry :( Just keeping trying.

Lastly, does anyone know when pay starts? Are we paid for our time at ODS? I'm assuming not for the couple weeks between ODS and NJS, and then does it start again at NJS?

Your pay starts when you report to your first command, which will be ODS. But it will take several weeks to kick in ano remember you have a couple grand in uniforms to purchase.

tester1

Postby tester1 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:43 pm

Congrats to all those who got picked up. To those that didn't, wish you all better luck next round. Any PR's know when we should hear information on our point of contact for the recruiting center. 60 days isn't much time to get the paper work/ MEPS all done. Or is it? I still haven't received any info on my contact for processing. Anyone else?
Last edited by tester1 on Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JEB

Postby JEB » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:37 am

tester1 wrote:Congrats to all those who got picked up. To those that didn't, wish you all better luck next round. Any PR's know when we should hear information on our point of contact for the recruiting center. 60 days isn't much time to get the paper work/ MEPS all done. Or is it? I still haven't received any info on my contact for processing. Anyone else?

You'll probably hear from your processor in the first week of January. The processor will send you a bunch of forms that you'll need to fill out and get back to him/her. Once all the forms are in, then the processor will send all the medical stuff to MEPS and get confirmation that he/she can send you in for your physical.

If you want to get a head start on things before then, here are a few things you can do while you wait:

-Look at this form and start getting together all the medical records on any "yes" answers, because you'll need them before MEPS will clear you to come in for a physical.

-Look at this form and start gathering all the information for that. You'll actually be inputting all of that information online through a secure system, not filling out the form in hard copy, but looking through that form will help you know what information you need to gather.

-Go look at Christmas lights, go ice skating, go caroling, read a good (non-law) book, binge-watch a series on Netflix, or do something else non-stress-inducing.

tester1

Postby tester1 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:12 pm

JEB wrote:
tester1 wrote:Congrats to all those who got picked up. To those that didn't, wish you all better luck next round. Any PR's know when we should hear information on our point of contact for the recruiting center. 60 days isn't much time to get the paper work/ MEPS all done. Or is it? I still haven't received any info on my contact for processing. Anyone else?

You'll probably hear from your processor in the first week of January. The processor will send you a bunch of forms that you'll need to fill out and get back to him/her. Once all the forms are in, then the processor will send all the medical stuff to MEPS and get confirmation that he/she can send you in for your physical.

If you want to get a head start on things before then, here are a few things you can do while you wait:

-Look at this form and start getting together all the medical records on any "yes" answers, because you'll need them before MEPS will clear you to come in for a physical.

-Look at this form and start gathering all the information for that. You'll actually be inputting all of that information online through a secure system, not filling out the form in hard copy, but looking through that form will help you know what information you need to gather.

-Go look at Christmas lights, go ice skating, go caroling, read a good (non-law) book, binge-watch a series on Netflix, or do something else non-stress-inducing.

I really appreciate this. Good call on the binge-watch. Fantastic call. Thanks again.

shintopig

ODS Questions Here

Postby shintopig » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:34 pm

So after everyone who is accepted will go to Officer Development School (ODS) at Naval Station Newport in RI. It's your first time training as a naval officer. 5 Weeks. Lot of new things. Don't need to pass the bar to go, unlike Naval Justice School (NJS).

I thought I'd reach out and say I recently graduated from ODS and am available to answer questions to anyone on the thread about this training. Happy to help quell rumors and answer questions that will be helpful to everyone here.

If there's something personal, just PM me.

Check out the website first (http://www.ocs.navy.mil/ods.asp) before asking just so I'm not being needlessly cumulative (FRE 403 reference :wink: ).

wg6524

Postby wg6524 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:03 pm

For those that got PR'd congrats! The Navy extended me the opportunity to apply again this spring.

Question: For those that are current military (i.e. reserves) what's the cross service transfer process like? Do you have to go through MEPS and do the duck walk again or is it really just an office visit to a recruiter to do the paperwork?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:10 pm

wg6524 wrote:For those that got PR'd congrats! The Navy extended me the opportunity to apply again this spring.

Question: For those that are current military (i.e. reserves) what's the cross service transfer process like? Do you have to go through MEPS and do the duck walk again or is it really just an office visit to a recruiter to do the paperwork?

I'm also current military (reserves) and will be living the dream of a reapplication. Right there with ya.

As far as transferring, my understanding is you'll likely have to go through MEPs again unless you have a current physical within 2 years. And it needs to be the full physical: labs, vision, dental, etc. However, I believe that those with a current military status are evaluated on a different standard at MEPs, and it's a little more streamlined. I think transferring over your security clearance is also pretty streamlined. Once you do that, you'll do an interservice transfer. Basically, you need your current service to sign something saying they release you into the Navy.

wg6524

Postby wg6524 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:58 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
wg6524 wrote:For those that got PR'd congrats! The Navy extended me the opportunity to apply again this spring.

I'm also current military (reserves) and will be living the dream of a reapplication. Right there with ya.

As far as transferring, my understanding is you'll likely have to go through MEPs again unless you have a current physical within 2 years. And it needs to be the full physical: labs, vision, dental, etc. However, I believe that those with a current military status are evaluated on a different standard at MEPs, and it's a little more streamlined. I think transferring over your security clearance is also pretty streamlined. Once you do that, you'll do an interservice transfer. Basically, you need your current service to sign something saying they release you into the Navy.

Yea, I keep hearing something similar. I didn't know if they would force us into the IRR or let us delay the transfer until after we graduated. It's rather hard to keep TRICARE if you're in the IRR.

Decimus

Postby Decimus » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:13 am

wg6524 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

Yea, I keep hearing something similar. I didn't know if they would force us into the IRR or let us delay the transfer until after we graduated. It's rather hard to keep TRICARE if you're in the IRR.

I'm a 2L and the LCDR at accessions said I could keep AR status/my current designator until after graduation. So there's that at least. I'm also wondering about MEPS. If I learn anything else, will let you guys know. I know there's a mechanism to lateral transfer reserve officers into JAG designator on the Reserve side. Now, whether it's possible to just roll that into an indefinite recall, I don't know. They probably want to re-commission you so your lineal # is more in line with the rest of the class. Which, you know, is fine with me. I'm a senior O3, there's no way I'm ready for O4 boards after my first tour, you know?

wg6524

Postby wg6524 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:38 am

Decimus wrote:
wg6524 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

I'm a 2L and the LCDR at accessions said I could keep AR status/my current designator until after graduation. So there's that at least. I'm also wondering about MEPS. If I learn anything else, will let you guys know. I know there's a mechanism to lateral transfer reserve officers into JAG designator on the Reserve side. Now, whether it's possible to just roll that into an indefinite recall, I don't know. They probably want to re-commission you so your lineal # is more in line with the rest of the class. Which, you know, is fine with me. I'm a senior O3, there's no way I'm ready for O4 boards after my first tour, you know?

Exactly the same situation here Decimus. I'm in the middle of company command right now so i'd like to at least see that through past the 24 month mark before possibly moving over. (granted, if I have to move early so be it) Keep us posted! Merry Christmas to you all!

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:13 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:Lastly, does anyone know when pay starts? Are we paid for our time at ODS? I'm assuming not for the couple weeks between ODS and NJS, and then does it start again at NJS?

I got paid about 3 weeks into ODS as an O-1. ODS is training, so of course you get paid. I also got my 1-time uniform allowance, housing allowance (which is pretty much nothing, as you're in base-housing during ODS), and subsistence allowance. But officer's also pay $2000-$3000 for their uniforms so subtract that much from your 5-weeks of pay.

I bought everything I'd need or want uniform-wise (whites, the nice blues, jackets etc.) because with the Star Card you get a 1-time discount on your first-day's purchase. What better time right? I spent just under $3000 then leaving about $1500-$2000 net that I earned by graduation.

If you're student-program candidate you'll be commissioned into the Navy Reserve component. At ODS you're on "active status" but you're not an "active duty" officer. Between ODS and NJS (like me now) you're on inactive reserve (IAR). You don't train in the formal sense, and you don't get paid. You're just expected to pass the bar (if not already), stay fit, and update on any material changes.

And yes, when NJS starts up then you start getting paid permanently (and as an O-2 because you get promoted day 1) because immediately after graduation you move to your first duty station.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:28 am

shintopig wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:Lastly, does anyone know when pay starts? Are we paid for our time at ODS? I'm assuming not for the couple weeks between ODS and NJS, and then does it start again at NJS?

I got paid about 3 weeks into ODS as an O-1. ODS is training, so of course you get paid. I also got my 1-time uniform allowance, housing allowance (which is pretty much nothing, as you're in base-housing during ODS), and subsistence allowance. But officer's also pay $2000-$3000 for their uniforms so subtract that much from your 5-weeks of pay.

I bought everything I'd need or want uniform-wise (whites, the nice blues, jackets etc.) because with the Star Card you get a 1-time discount on your first-day's purchase. What better time right? I spent just under $3000 then leaving about $1500-$2000 net that I earned by graduation.

If you're student-program candidate you'll be commissioned into the Navy Reserve component. At ODS you're on "active status" but you're not an "active duty" officer. Between ODS and NJS (like me now) you're on inactive reserve (IAR). You don't train in the formal sense, and you don't get paid. You're just expected to pass the bar (if not already), stay fit, and update on any material changes.

And yes, when NJS starts up then you start getting paid permanently (and as an O-2 because you get promoted day 1) because immediately after graduation you move to your first duty station.

Have you found out which duty station you've been assigned to? When did you find out?

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:45 pm

S. Goodman wrote:Have you found out which duty station you've been assigned to? When did you find out?

The duty stations for the JAGs in my ODS class were assigned around week 4. Everyone got calls from the detailer within an hour or so of each other. Lots of anxious JAGs in the days leading up to the news.
Last edited by shintopig on Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:05 pm

How'd it turn out? Did most people get something they wanted or was there angst?

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:11 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:How'd it turn out? Did most people get something they wanted or was there angst?

Most people seemed quite happy that this huge step was happening at all. It's exciting to hear someone tell you the far-off place you're being sent to live. People, as most were non-priors, were generally exciting about the detailing. It's one of the big reasons we all chose this life. "Join the Navy. See the World."

Some other things:
- people with spouses or families already living & working at particular bases got their #1 choices, (the Navy doesn't like splitting up families)
- similarly, a decent amount of people were happy because they got bases close to or at least within the same state as their families or girl/boyfriends
- I didn't hear about anyone getting sent abroad to Yokoska, Japan or Naples, Italy against their will. People who got international locations, wanted them.
- from what I could tell, those who got the cold-weather places (Great Lakes, IL, Groton, CT, & Bremerton, WA) were not upset. Some people really wanted them, but a lot of people were afraid to get those places because they didn't like cold-weather.
- Norfolk, VA seemed to be an unwanted place for a variety of reasons, but those who got it were fine with it.
- San Diego, CA was obviously hot on many lists. A couple people got it. Navy Yard, DC was also somewhat coveted. People were sent there too.
- The DAs (Direct Applicants) that I can remember all got their #1 choices. I think this is because they're commissioned ahead of all the SPs (Student Programs) in the ODS class, so they get first dibs. Not 100% on that though.

I didn't find anyone who was really upset with where they were assigned, but I also didn't ask everyone.

Decimus

Postby Decimus » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:25 pm

I'm assuming PH was a pretty hot pic as well. It will be top of my list, for sure, but I'm counting on that being the case for most people.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:05 am

Decimus wrote:I'm assuming PH was a pretty hot pic as well. It will be top of my list, for sure, but I'm counting on that being the case for most people.

I've known several people stationed in Hawaii, they all hated it. Maybe living where others vacation isn't as good as it sounds?

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:42 am

Pearl Harbor is a pretty good place to spend your first tour as a JAG, provided that you don't have kids because the schools are pretty terrible. You get a high BAH and COLA, so that helps offset the cost. I don't know why Norfolk gets such a bum rap, sure it is not San Diego, but it is one of the biggest, if not biggest RLSO in terms of number of people. I believe Southeast is larger in terms of geographical area. RLSO MW, is kind of a hidden gem, in my opinion. You can live in Chicago, it is a very pretty base and fairly laid back. Region Midwest no longer exists, it was absorbed by MIDLANT, but for some reason the RLSO endures.

The Navy Yard is a fun place to be too. You will interact with a ton of senior JAGs if you want. Something like 25% of all our JAGs are in the DC area, mainly supporting OJAG (HQ)

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:41 am

Being stationed in Hawaii is cool at first and then gets old.

Norfolk is underrated

Decimus

Postby Decimus » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:17 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:Pearl Harbor is a pretty good place to spend your first tour as a JAG, provided that you don't have kids because the schools are pretty terrible. You get a high BAH and COLA, so that helps offset the cost. I don't know why Norfolk gets such a bum rap, sure it is not San Diego, but it is one of the biggest, if not biggest RLSO in terms of number of people. I believe Southeast is larger in terms of geographical area. RLSO MW, is kind of a hidden gem, in my opinion. You can live in Chicago, it is a very pretty base and fairly laid back. Region Midwest no longer exists, it was absorbed by MIDLANT, but for some reason the RLSO endures.

The Navy Yard is a fun place to be too. You will interact with a ton of senior JAGs if you want. Something like 25% of all our JAGs are in the DC area, mainly supporting OJAG (HQ)

I have 3 kids so you piqued my interest: we're talking local public schools?

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:43 am

shintopig wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:Have you found out which duty station you've been assigned to? When did you find out?

The duty stations for the JAGs in my ODS class were assigned around week 4 for my ODS class. Everyone got calls from the detailer within an hour or so of each other. Lots of anxious JAGs in the days leading up to the news.

Thanks for the response. Since you were just there can you remind us of: (1) the available ODS class dates for Jags. Obviously sometime after the end of July when the Bar exam is. But what is the next available date we can go? What about after that? (2) How long do you need to wait after ODS to start NJS? When are the typical NJS class dates and graduations?

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:48 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:Norfolk is underrated

I think you're the only person I've ever seen say something nice about Norfolk. Why does everyone hate it so much?

Decimus

Postby Decimus » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:00 am

twenty wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Norfolk is underrated

I think you're the only person I've ever seen say something nice about Norfolk. Why does everyone hate it so much?

It's crowded, it's industrial, the town hates sailors, bridge traffic is stupid, it has a relative dearth of redeeming qualities... I could, but won't, go on.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”