Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Ramrezyeh

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Ramrezyeh » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:28 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Any 2Ls receive calls?

2L Fall Board, No Summer internship- PR call 1100

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:33 pm

Gotcha, thanks. Any status updates?

LS123456

Postby LS123456 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:33 pm

Has anybody had their status updated? Are people still receiving calls?

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:34 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Gotcha, thanks. Any status updates?

315pm Pending
334pm- Professionally Recommended

Decimus

Postby Decimus » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:38 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Any 2Ls receive calls?

I'm a 2L, got the call around lunch.

gwcolonial24

Postby gwcolonial24 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:43 pm

Ramrezyeh wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Gotcha, thanks. Any status updates?

315pm Pending
334pm- Professionally Recommended

I received the call around 1100 (ET) this morning. My status was updated around 1530. I'm a 3L/4L part-time student.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:45 pm

Ding. Congrats to all those who got it!

MajorKong

Postby MajorKong » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:53 pm

Yep, dinged, as expected. Hopefully one of the next three boards will be more friendly.

DGhyczy

Postby DGhyczy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:10 pm

No-go from me also. 2L on west coast. posted online just now for me. no call

wg6524

Postby wg6524 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:14 pm

no-go out here in Texas too.

Stubbazubba

Postby Stubbazubba » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:26 pm

Official no for me. Guess I better study for these finals...

I did learn that there was a 16% acceptance rate this time, though.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:03 pm

Stubbazubba wrote:
cooldude117 wrote:you won't have to wait much longer. good luck.

And who is this ominously almost prescient person?

Probably the Admiral in charge of the Navy Jag Corps! Ha ha I wouldn't be surprised if some of the board members have an account and get on here from time to time

Good luck to all still waiting! And congratulations to those accepted! I've been following the updates crossing my fingers for everyone!

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:09 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Ding. Congrats to all those who got it!

Be persistent man! you're bound to get it in one of the upcoming boards! I'm really surprised you didn't get it this time being that your stats are really good. It Must have been a tough board.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:44 pm

S. Goodman wrote:

Be persistent man! you're bound to get it in one of the upcoming boards! I'm really surprised you didn't get it this time being that your stats are really good. It Must have been a tough board.

Thanks dude. It sucks but I still have three more shots so I'm hopeful.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:59 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

Thanks dude. It sucks but I still have three more shots so I'm hopeful.

Sorry to hear that TSM. The world makes no sense; guess they wanted to save some good candidates for the spring board. They'll come around.

SEC_Law

Postby SEC_Law » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:38 pm

I'm in the same boat but I only have 1 more chance to apply. I wish there was a way to find out what we needed to improve on because for me, time is short. Anyone know how many they took vs. how many applied?

Stubbazubba

Postby Stubbazubba » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:27 am

Talked to a LCDR in the Accessions Office today who told me they took 16%. Didn't give me any numbers, though.

gwcolonial24

Postby gwcolonial24 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:36 am

Got acceptance email with instructions this morning. Things are moving fast. Congratulations to everyone who was professionally recommended during this cycle. Look forward to serving with you in the future.

mnbvaes

Postby mnbvaes » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:40 am

fhqwhgads wrote:Just got the official call. I'm stunned and also very excited! It looks like they may still be calling and following up with people.

Congrats!! Question: You said you also applied to the AF? Will you go Navy or wait to hear from the AF?

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:49 pm

Hey everyone! First, congrats to all who got PR'd! Someone PM'd me a question about making weight for MEPS. When I was going through the commissioning process I had posted some questions on here about height/weight standards. So they knew I had struggled with it before I commissioned. Anyway, below is my extensive response I sent to him/her. Since I spent a lot of time formulating a response, I thought I'd also share it here for the PR'd people, if you're having trouble making weight. So here it is:

"Hey! I did end up making it, and before the 60 day commissioning deadline. I commissioned in July (2015). I was over the max weight by about 17 pounds, but I was able to make body fat percentage. Overall from the time I decided on applying to jag, and when I went to MEPS, I dropped a little over 80 pounds. I dropped that in a few months. I went from about 310 to 227. I started dieting when I applied though, not when I got PR'd. So I had a few months.

A little bit of pretext. I used to be in the Marines before law school. Making weight every 6 months was always a struggle when I was a Marine. I too cope with stress by eating. I'm a big food lover. Anyway, my weight swelled during 1L. When I got serious about jag I knew I had to drop a lot of weight. I started the dieting when I applied to jag because I knew if I were to be PR'd I wouldn't have enough time to drop what I needed to before MEPS.

I'm not sure how much experience you have with the military, but this you should know. More than anything else, they care about your weight! That is the surest thing for them to turn you away before you get in, or to kick you out if you're already in. Drugs and weight, they won't work with you on. I say this to impress upon you the massive importance of being within standards when you go to MEPS. It actually boggles the mind how much they care about weight. You could be a fitness champ, they don't care. It is crazy!

But anyway. With that being said, now that you're PR'd you got to get within standards ... fast. This may be easy, or a little challenging depending on how much you're over. If you need to drop a lot you can stall going to MEPS. All the paperwork they give you, just stall getting it done for as long as you can. The MEPS date, just stall. Say you're busy this week or the next. Stall as long as you can, the recruiter can't MAKE you go. And as long as you're in the 60 day window jag isn't going to give you grief. And that deadline may not be too serious if you need more time. Some people on here were way past it and didn't lose their PR. If you go to MEPS and you're over, MEPS will temporarily DQ you for approximately 60 days. So if you go to MEPS prematurely and you're over the max weight, you'll definitely be over the 60 day jag deadline by the time it’s all over. I'm not sure whether they'll take your PR or not, but I don't think it is worth the risk.

As far as losing the weight I have a few tips, being that I've had to cut weight for weigh ins like a damn super model for years. There is the dangerous last minute options to drop like 10 pounds within a week of course. You can starve and dehydrate yourself. You can take a lot of laxatives and sit in the sauna too. Again, these are risky methods, but they are effective in a last minute pinch. Athletes and models do it all the time.

To lose real weight fast, not just water weight, you need to cut calories, fat grams, and sugar. I would highly recommend downloading "mynetdiary" on your phone to help you. It is an app and it costs like five bucks. It is essentially a food diary and will help you keep track of what you're taking in, and what you're losing. Forget killing yourself in the gym. Going to the gym and doing cardio helps you lose weight, true. But losing weight is 90% what you eat. If you never eat it you won't have to go to the gym to lose it. Plus, doing a lot of exercise makes you hungry. Which means you run the risk of killing yourself in the gym, and then accidentally binge eating because you're starving. I lost 80 pounds in a few months, trust me. Not to mention the risk of exercise induced injury.

I'd do light exercise, but primarily focus on what you're eating. I set mynetdiary to a goal of no more than 1400 calories a day. For a 300 pound guy, the weight dropped quick. I was losing 5 pounds a week right away. It was awesome. If you're smaller or need to lose more fast, you may have to eat less than 1400. Keep in mind though, that the professionals say it is only safe to drop 2 pounds per week. So incorporate a multivitamin in your daily routine to ensure you aren't deficient in anything you need. 1400 may not seem like a lot, but I promise I was never once hungry. 1400 in primarily vegetables, fruits, fish, and chicken is a lot of food. It is enough to sustain you for sure. Also drink A LOT of water, I'm talking as close to a gallon a day as you can get. Canned seasoned spinach, with reduced sodium pinto beans, and a dash of A1 sauce were my best friend. Don't drink ANYTHING that isn't water. Sugar might as well be liquid fat. Even if you can stand it in your calorie counting, don't drink it. No soda, fruit juice, nothing. Water only. Try to stay away from excess bread too, carbs will hurt you. You can have it as long as you stay under your calorie count, but only eat it sparingly. Noodles are carb heavy too.

Also, get a food scale from Walmart. You'll have to measure your food EXACTLY in order to get an accurate assessment of exactly what you're putting into your body. They are like $20.

It isn't just the amount of calories either, it is the type of calories. Grease and sugar are heavy in calories but don’t make you feel full. So it takes way more calories to make you feel like you aren’t hungry. Eat mostly vegetables and fruit. Sprinkle in some chicken and fish for protein. Beans are a super food, they are high in protein and low in fat and calories. Eat them! Also, tuna is a good option. Low calories, and extremely high in protein.

At the end of the day I could tailor how much I was losing weekly based on my calorie count daily. Keep an extremely accurate record of what you eat (by weighing and measuring), and stay on target for the total amount of calories you had for the day. I promise the weight will melt away.

As far as this advice goes. Everyone seems to have an opinion when it comes to weight loss. Do this or do that. Some things work better for some people. But calories in and out work for everyone. Think of your body like balancing a check book. I.e. don’t spend more than you make. As long as you don’t bring in more than you’re burning you WILL lose weight, pure and simple. As far as safety. It is my OPINION that so long as you eat your 1400 a day in a lot of vegetables and fruits, with a multivitamin, you should be getting what you need in regard to nutrition. You could probably take it even lower and be okay. People fast for weeks at a time without dying. Not recommending it, but just saying. You may also take a protein shake to help get the protein you need. You can find protein shakes that are high in protein and extremely low in calories. I can recommend a few if you’d like. But the GNC guys can too. The fast methods I mentioned before, like starving, dehydration, laxatives etc., are pretty uniformly recognized as unsafe. Bu they are good to get rid of 10 or so pounds within a couple of days. Again, I’m no expert but I have extensive personal experience. I did it and you can too. Good luck!"

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:58 pm

I forgot to mention to him/her, and in my response.

Some of this may seem extreme, or too hard. But if you want it you'll do it. Losing weight is hard. I wanted to be a jag more than anything else in my life and I made it happen. Just buckle down for a little while to lose the weight. It'll be worth it!! And good luck again!

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:59 pm

Good info above. Just FYI, the Navy just did a pretty big overhaul of its PFA instruction. It used to be that you would weigh in and if you did not make weight they would do your neck and waist. The new way adds an intermediate step, if you fail to make weight they will first just measure your waist. If it is under 39" you are good to go, regardless of neck circumference. If you are over 39" they will still do the waist and neck, and put it in a formula to estimate your BF %. It's good news because it used to be that you needed a big neck to offset and big waist. Now you can have a tiny neck and a comparatively large waist. Of course, best COA is to make weight because the person doing the measuring holds your fate in their hands!

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:06 am

S. Goodman wrote:I forgot to mention to him/her, and in my response.

Some of this may seem extreme, or too hard. But if you want it you'll do it. Losing weight is hard. I wanted to be a jag more than anything else in my life and I made it happen. Just buckle down for a little while to lose the weight. It'll be worth it!! And good luck again!

I appreciate all of your input!

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:29 pm

Hey all, first off, congratulations to those who got selected this time around! That's awesome! Remember to please post your stats to increase transparency for the process.

For those who weren't accepted this time around, believe me, I know how hard it is. No platitude is going to make it better, and I'm really sorry :( Just keeping trying.

Lastly, does anyone know when pay starts? Are we paid for our time at ODS? I'm assuming not for the couple weeks between ODS and NJS, and then does it start again at NJS?

JEB

Postby JEB » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:52 pm

We should probably wait for NavvJAG1 to confirm, but my understanding is the same as your assumption: we are paid for our time at ODS, return to IRR status and are unpaid, and then are paid again once we go to NJS.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”