Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Decimus

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby Decimus » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:53 am

NavyJAG1 wrote:Board has not met yet. My guess is middle of Nov. First week of Nov is Command Leadership Symposium. All the Muckety Mucks from the various head sheds are involved. Part of the delay in releasing results is that there is a fair amount of work that needs to be done after the board in order to brief the flags. Also, it can be tough getting both Admirals in the room at the same time. Perhaps we also like to play hard to get!

Thank you for pulling back the curtain!

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:52 pm

JEB wrote:
ShockTop wrote:
You guys want to go to Rice King that badly? =)

My big thing was that where I am currently the local ID Card Office is about 15 minutes away and no hassle at all to get to. Once I'm back at school, the nearest office is at least half an hour away without traffic. Also, I'm not positive yet what my schedule will be pre- and post-bar exam next summer as far as ability to get to an ID Card Office, so I figured getting it now would mean not having to do it then to have it before ODS.

Any new, updates, or insights on anyone getting a Reserve ID? I've been commissioned since the end of July, and I'm wondering if I should get a move on this. You went through NRD, not JAG Accessions?

JEB

Postby JEB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:57 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:
JEB wrote:
ShockTop wrote:

My big thing was that where I am currently the local ID Card Office is about 15 minutes away and no hassle at all to get to. Once I'm back at school, the nearest office is at least half an hour away without traffic. Also, I'm not positive yet what my schedule will be pre- and post-bar exam next summer as far as ability to get to an ID Card Office, so I figured getting it now would mean not having to do it then to have it before ODS.

Any new, updates, or insights on anyone getting a Reserve ID? I've been commissioned since the end of July, and I'm wondering if I should get a move on this. You went through NRD, not JAG Accessions?

Still no word on this. I'm not pushing it since I'm no longer located right near an ID Card Office.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:14 pm

JEB wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:
JEB wrote:
ShockTop wrote:

Still no word on this. I'm not pushing it since I'm no longer located right near an ID Card Office.

Same for me. I tried twice when I was in my hometown over the summer when I was near a base; now, I'm back at school and not near one. Honestly, after wasting time on two occasions I'm fed up with the whole venture. I can wait until ODS. You get there and have to explain the whole situation, and because it is not what they normally deal with they are hostile and unhelpful . . . in short it is a pain.

JEB

Postby JEB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:09 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
JEB wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:
JEB wrote:
ShockTop wrote:

Same for me. I tried twice when I was in my hometown over the summer when I was near a base; now, I'm back at school and not near one. Honestly, after wasting time on two occasions I'm fed up with the whole venture. I can wait until ODS. You get there and have to explain the whole situation, and because it is not what they normally deal with they are hostile and unhelpful . . . in short it is a pain.

Basically same story, though I only went to the ID Card office once. I shot off a follow-up email today to the person that LCDR Gehlen referred me to when I spoke to her about the issue. I'll keep y'all updated when I hear back.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:32 pm

Thanks JEB.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:08 pm

S. Goodman wrote: You get there and have to explain the whole situation, and because it is not what they normally deal with they are hostile and unhelpful . . . in short it is a pain.

Yup. Anytime you ask them to deal with a situation that is slightly outside the norm and might require 30 seconds of thought, their first reaction is to tell you to get lost.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:17 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
S. Goodman wrote: You get there and have to explain the whole situation, and because it is not what they normally deal with they are hostile and unhelpful . . . in short it is a pain.

Yup. Anytime you ask them to deal with a situation that is slightly outside the norm and might require 30 seconds of thought, their first reaction is to tell you to get lost.

Ha ha prior service gets it.

ButterBattle

Postby ButterBattle » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:19 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
S. Goodman wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

Ha ha prior service gets it.

Longtime lurker here with ID card info -

It is possible, as I'm looking at my kelly/lime green DD Form 2 with my ugly mug on it right now. I didn't do anything special, I just made an appointment through RAPIDS (https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd.mil/) at my local Navy Operational Support Center (formerly the Navy Reserve Center). I brought all my commissioning paperwork but they didn't even look at it. Maybe most importantly, because it's such small ID card office they were quite friendly and accommodating.

Your experiences may vary.

I am prior-enlisted USMC, so I was already in DEERS, which may have helped. I commissioned on 8/22 and am Class of 2016. See some of y'all next fall.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:18 pm

ButterBattle wrote:
Longtime lurker here with ID card info -

It is possible, as I'm looking at my kelly/lime green DD Form 2 with my ugly mug on it right now. I didn't do anything special, I just made an appointment through RAPIDS (https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd.mil/) at my local Navy Operational Support Center (formerly the Navy Reserve Center). I brought all my commissioning paperwork but they didn't even look at it. Maybe most importantly, because it's such small ID card office they were quite friendly and accommodating.

Your experiences may vary.

I am prior-enlisted USMC, so I was already in DEERS, which may have helped. I commissioned on 8/22 and am Class of 2016. See some of y'all next fall.

Dude what the hell. I am also a prior Marine; I still have my green ID card from the USMC IRR. Also in DEERS. When I went the first time they told me I was still "in the DEERS system" as belonging to the Marine Corps and until I was "in this system" as belonging to the Navy they couldn't help. Went back the second time and they said that the Marines had dropped me from the system but now it looked like I wasn't in at all because no Navy affiliation showed up "in the system." My commissioning documents didn't help whatsoever, the lady looked at them and clearly had no idea what she was looking at. I commissioned 07/2015 and am also a 2016 grad.

I don't want to out you but maybe I could call the office you went to, maybe they could help. I went to an AFB in South Carolina. They were terrible.

fhqwhgads

Postby fhqwhgads » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:32 pm

Fall board applicant checking in. Wanted to say thanks for starting this thread, and also to NavyJAG1 for the updates on the board's status. Time to stress out!!!!

SEC_Law

Postby SEC_Law » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:13 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I am sure this might have been touched on earlier, but what weight does a summer internship carry with the board? I saw where someone mentioned the LORs and the internal review that is submitted, but how much does a favorable LOR and favorable internal review mean?

Since the internships are highly selective (I believe around 60 interns for the summer of 2015) does it mean the Navy is already interested in you and wants to see how you will do in a work setting? Basically, I am wondering whether the internship is almost like an extended interview where they try you out to see if you are "worthy."

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:33 pm

SEC_Law wrote:Since the internships are highly selective (I believe around 60 interns for the summer of 2015) does it mean the Navy is already interested in you and wants to see how you will do in a work setting? Basically, I am wondering whether the internship is almost like an extended interview where they try you out to see if you are "worthy."

NavyJAG can probably speak to this with more authority, but my guess is getting an internship is probably a good sign that the Navy at least considers you a viable candidate. As you said, the internships are pretty competitive anyway, and their primary purpose is to generate interest in the JAG Corps/identify possible candidates, so I can't imagine that the Navy would offer someone an internship and waste a spot if they don't see them as a promising candidate.

FWIW, a Navy JAG O4 doing an LLM at my law school told me that if you get an internship you should feel (reasonably) good about your chances. Not a lock, but cause to be optimistic. You're at least not in the "definite no" pile.

Also, I sort of asked this question on the last page.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:32 pm

fhqwhgads wrote:Fall board applicant checking in. Wanted to say thanks for starting this thread, and also to NavyJAG1 for the updates on the board's status. Time to stress out!!!!

Good luck! Did you apply to the Air Force as well?

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:26 pm

SEC_Law wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster here. I am sure this might have been touched on earlier, but what weight does a summer internship carry with the board? I saw where someone mentioned the LORs and the internal review that is submitted, but how much does a favorable LOR and favorable internal review mean?

Since the internships are highly selective (I believe around 60 interns for the summer of 2015) does it mean the Navy is already interested in you and wants to see how you will do in a work setting? Basically, I am wondering whether the internship is almost like an extended interview where they try you out to see if you are "worthy."

This thread is short enough - just do a quick word-search next time. I answered the same question a few pages ago.

JAG Hopeful wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:The waiting blows.

NavyJAG, I know this is kind of like asking how much a rock weighs, but any sense as to how much having done a Navy JAG summer internship helps? Clearly it's not required, as some of the people in this thread last cycle got selected without it, but if someone was selected/completed one, is that a pretty good sign that the Navy views them as a good candidate?

It's such a crap shoot. My first board, I was top 10% of my class, etc. and had just come back from an internship and wasn't selected. The JAGs at work told me to be persistent and I thought, "Yeah, that'll be good for some folks, but my grades are good and I have an internship and my supervisors gave me glowing LORs." No, they really do mean be persistent. Definitely helps, but it's all a roll of the dice.

That said, I was selected on my second board, so keep at it regardless if this is what you want :)

SEC_Law

Postby SEC_Law » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:15 pm

Any idea on when the Fall Board results will be posted? I haven't been able to find any information on when they are historically shown to be in. They told me "around Thanksgiving" but I am going to go out on a limb and say probably not before. I'm just wondering if any other Fall applicants had heard differently.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:42 pm

SEC_Law wrote:Any idea on when the Fall Board results will be posted? I haven't been able to find any information on when they are historically shown to be in. They told me "around Thanksgiving" but I am going to go out on a limb and say probably not before. I'm just wondering if any other Fall applicants had heard differently.

You could probably look back in the thread and see when the spring board sent theirs in and when results starting leaking in. That would probably be a good ball park.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:47 pm

Didn't it say 8 weeks after the application deadline? That would be early December

JEB

Postby JEB » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:27 pm

Last year I was notified Dec 9.

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:33 am

JEB wrote:Last year I was notified Dec 9.

Nice, thanks JEB!

fhqwhgads

Postby fhqwhgads » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:58 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
fhqwhgads wrote:Fall board applicant checking in. Wanted to say thanks for starting this thread, and also to NavyJAG1 for the updates on the board's status. Time to stress out!!!!

Good luck! Did you apply to the Air Force as well?

I did indeed, and thank you! I was not picked up during the October AF board, but have reapplied for December. I will reiterate what a lot of people have already said: if you don't get in on your first or even second try, keep applying. There is no guarantee that after applying enough times you'll be offered a job, but your dedication will look favorable for you.

That being said, Navy is my clear first choice. It's a bummer that the Navy fall board decisions will probably be released right around finals week for most law students. As if we didn't have enough to stress about!

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:31 pm

fhqwhgads wrote: It's a bummer that the Navy fall board decisions will probably be released right around finals week for most law students. As if we didn't have enough to stress about!

It was the same way last spring; which can be a blessing or a curse. I found out I got in about an hour before a crim pro exam, completely took the weight off for the exam. Although, I did get a B on it. Ha ha At this point I don't really care if I get C's for the rest of the time I'm in school!

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:41 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
fhqwhgads wrote: It's a bummer that the Navy fall board decisions will probably be released right around finals week for most law students. As if we didn't have enough to stress about!

It was the same way last spring; which can be a blessing or a curse. I found out I got in about an hour before a crim pro exam, completely took the weight off for the exam. Although, I did get a B on it. Ha ha At this point I don't really care if I get C's for the rest of the time I'm in school!

C's get degrees!

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:29 am

Board met last week. Hopefully they release results in next few weeks.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:49 am

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Let us know if you hear any other rumblings about when results may drop.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”