Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
S. Goodman

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby S. Goodman » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:17 am

usn26 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:I've been training for ODS by running, but I have bad knees. Curious as to whether I should incorporate long distance swimming into my workout program.

When are you going to ODS?

August 2016 at the earliest.

ShockTop

Postby ShockTop » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:08 am

Commissioned last week! Just awaiting Orders now.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:10 am

ShockTop wrote:Commissioned last week! Just awaiting Orders now.

Awesome!

usn26

Postby usn26 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:12 pm

ShockTop wrote:Commissioned last week! Just awaiting Orders now.

Congrats!

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:03 pm

And another Fall Boards has come to an end... Good luck to all of those who applied!

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:02 pm

Ramrezyeh wrote:And another Fall Boards has come to an end... Good luck to all of those who applied!

Wow the deadline has passed already? Good luck to all!! I can feel the impending suspense already!

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:39 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
Ramrezyeh wrote:And another Fall Boards has come to an end... Good luck to all of those who applied!

Wow the deadline has passed already? Good luck to all!! I can feel the impending suspense already!

I don't know if anyone else in New England had to interview with NJS, but my favorite part of the application process is where Newport lost the password to the interview request email account. Good thing I submitted everything in August, bc it took me over two weeks to schedule an interview. I don't know what is worse.. that, or the fact that it didn't dissuade me from wanting to be in JAG.

Decimus

Postby Decimus » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:11 pm

In the Fall 2015 class, hoping for the best.

Stats:
UG GPA: 3.65
LSAT: 164
Law School: 3.6, top 25% at T1

Softs:
Student Org President
Journal
Moot Court
Former Navy staff corps officer
PhD

LoRs (I somehow missed that you could submit more than three...) :
Prof/former JAG
Prof.
DA/Supervisor

Whaddaya think, ladies and gents? Interview seemed to go very well.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:51 pm

Sounds like you have a good shot. I think military experience is a big plus (I'm hoping)

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:51 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Sounds like you have a good shot. I think military experience is a big plus (I'm hoping)

The evidence would seem to indicate that prior military is a HUGE plus. I'm willing to bet you get it!

Anyway, just checking in! By the by, I find that as a 3L with a job already I have got the "senioritis" REALLY badly. I'm finding it difficult to summon the motivation to read for class, or even come to class. Anyone else who got selected, and is a 3L, also feeling this?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:11 pm

I can only imagine how 3LOL you must be, Saul.

By the way, on the online application system, is there any change in status between "Pending" and finding out whether you were recommended? Like, does it tell you when the Board has met, when results are being prepared, etc?

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:40 pm

Unless they have changed the process you will not get any intermediate updates. You will stay at pending until decisions are published.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:40 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:I can only imagine how 3LOL you must be, Saul.

By the way, on the online application system, is there any change in status between "Pending" and finding out whether you were recommended? Like, does it tell you when the Board has met, when results are being prepared, etc?

What NavyJag1 said. It'll go immediately from "pending" to "professionally recommended."

Decimus

Postby Decimus » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:49 pm

Do we know the actual date of the board? I know historically results are released around Dec. 10, I'm just trying to figure out why the huge gap between the application deadline and publishing results. I know other boards certainly don't take that long. Not critical, of course, just curious.

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:25 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Sounds like you have a good shot. I think military experience is a big plus (I'm hoping)

The evidence would seem to indicate that prior military is a HUGE plus. I'm willing to bet you get it!

Anyway, just checking in! By the by, I find that as a 3L with a job already I have got the "senioritis" REALLY badly. I'm finding it difficult to summon the motivation to read for class, or even come to class. Anyone else who got selected, and is a 3L, also feeling this?

Oh for sure. You're set now until the bar prep starts.

Decimus

Postby Decimus » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:40 pm

S. Goodman wrote:Does anyone know the typical ODS class dates? My BAR is the last week of July, 2016. Trying to determine how much money my wife and I will need next summer to survive from the end of LS to the beginning of NJS.

Expect your pay to take a couple weeks to come in once at ODS and don't forget you have around $2k to buy in uniforms. My advice on the latter is get a NEX Star card, you'll get a discount on your first purchase. Just make sure that purchase is at the uniform shop!

Decimus

Postby Decimus » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:44 pm

shintopig wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

Oh for sure. You're set now until the bar prep starts.

Awesome. Thanks.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:26 am

Decimus wrote:Do we know the actual date of the board? I know historically results are released around Dec. 10, I'm just trying to figure out why the huge gap between the application deadline and publishing results. I know other boards certainly don't take that long. Not critical, of course, just curious.

I vaguely remember hearing that the board meets the week after the deadline, so odds are it's already met. No idea why there is such a large gap.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:50 am

Board has not met yet. My guess is middle of Nov. First week of Nov is Command Leadership Symposium. All the Muckety Mucks from the various head sheds are involved. Part of the delay in releasing results is that there is a fair amount of work that needs to be done after the board in order to brief the flags. Also, it can be tough getting both Admirals in the room at the same time. Perhaps we also like to play hard to get!

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:00 am

Man, my Intel was way off.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:38 pm

Don't feel bad - there is a ton of crap that we do that I have no idea about!

Backload

Postby Backload » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:03 pm

Hey guys,

I applied to this Board as well as a 3L.

Good luck to everyone else waiting!

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:44 pm

The waiting blows.

NavyJAG, I know this is kind of like asking how much a rock weighs, but any sense as to how much having done a Navy JAG summer internship helps? Clearly it's not required, as some of the people in this thread last cycle got selected without it, but if someone was selected/completed one, is that a pretty good sign that the Navy views them as a good candidate?

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:39 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:The waiting blows.

NavyJAG, I know this is kind of like asking how much a rock weighs, but any sense as to how much having done a Navy JAG summer internship helps? Clearly it's not required, as some of the people in this thread last cycle got selected without it, but if someone was selected/completed one, is that a pretty good sign that the Navy views them as a good candidate?

It's such a crap shoot. My first board, I was top 10% of my class, etc. and had just come back from an internship and wasn't selected. The JAGs at work told me to be persistent and I thought, "Yeah, that'll be good for some folks, but my grades are good and I have an internship and my supervisors gave me glowing LORs." No, they really do mean be persistent. Definitely helps, but it's all a roll of the dice.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:10 pm

Almost all LORs that you get are glowing, and really most interns do largely the same thing. But.... There is another form that the CO submits internally that you never see. The CO ranks the interns and gives more "honest" feedback. If you get strong reviews and are ranked highly, this can help a lot. You really get lucky if that CO is a member of the board, because then he can talk you up even more.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”