Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TheSpanishMain

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:16 am

los blancos wrote:Thanks! After that initial two-year period, how much say does one have in what area they specialize? If trial experience is the goal, seems like there are better branches than Navy?

My understanding is that the Army may allow for more specialization. It's also just bigger, so there are probably more billets that would involve trials.

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:20 pm

Just submitted my SP Application for the Fall Boards. Now I have to schedule that interview!

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:18 pm

Ramrezyeh wrote:Just submitted my SP Application for the Fall Boards. Now I have to schedule that interview!

Another round of applications commences! Are you a 2L or 3L?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:03 pm

It's happening....long wait till December.

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:15 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:It's happening....long wait till December.

Yes, yes it is.

S. Goodman wrote:
Ramrezyeh wrote:Just submitted my SP Application for the Fall Boards. Now I have to schedule that interview!

Another round of applications commences! Are you a 2L or 3L?

2L! So Round 1 of a possible, but hopefully unnecessary, 4.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:15 pm

These are probably good questions for NavyJag1. But does anyone know the relative size of the 9 RLSO's we can be stationed at? One would think Norfolk would be a huge one with a lot of lawyers. But what about Jacksonville or Groton?

Also, that first two years of cycling through the four different legal capacities ... what is your work/life balance like during that time? What is the work schedule like for a Navy Jag generally?

Just two more questions, after that two year period are you eligible for orders to another base? Do people frequently just stay at their original base or ask to leave?

Finally, how is retention for Jags? Is it ultra competitive, or are there enough people who get out to free up enough space where you can stay if you want?

Thank you to whoever knows!

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:32 am

the big 3 are Norfolk, Jacksonville and San Diego. They are pretty similar in terms of size. Great Lakes is by far the smallest. Of the remaining 5 my guess is they are pretty similar in size. EURAFSWA has a lot of area to cover but the bases are smaller comparatively.

Stubbazubba

Postby Stubbazubba » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:14 am

Hey all, dropping back in. 2L, just submitted my application, interview is scheduled. Catching up on this thread made me pretty excited. Here's hoping, right?

los blancos wrote:Thanks! After that initial two-year period, how much say does one have in what area they specialize? If trial experience is the goal, seems like there are better branches than Navy?

I spoke with a Navy JAG last week who said that he is focused on trial work: if you ask, you'll get it. He was made an SJA but informed his superiors that he really wanted to be in the courtroom and ended up transferred over there pretty soon, though I can't remember the specifics. The Navy now has a litigation development program of some kind, I can't remember the acronym (Military Justice something something), which I believe is unique of the other branches. I think the Navy will be a good place for trial work if you let them know. I don't know how it compares to the other branches, though.

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:51 am

[quote="Stubbazubba"]Hey all, dropping back in. 2L, just submitted my application, interview is scheduled. Catching up on this thread made me pretty excited. Here's hoping, right?

Hey Stubba, I didn't see a lot of guidance on what should be in the interview request email. I kept it pretty short but formal enough. How long did it take them to get back to ya?

Stubbazubba

Postby Stubbazubba » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:14 pm

Ramrezyeh wrote:Hey Stubba, I didn't see a lot of guidance on what should be in the interview request email. I kept it pretty short but formal enough. How long did it take them to get back to ya?

Yeah, mine was short and simple, too:

To Whom It May Concern;

I have just submitted my Navy JAG Corps application online and would like to schedule an interview at Regional Legal Service Office Mid-Atlantic.

Thank you,

Stubbazubba's sig

I submitted that on Wednesday evening, they got back to me by eod Thursday. Have you not heard back yet? What RLSO did you email?

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:48 am

Stubbazubba wrote:
Ramrezyeh wrote:Hey Stubba, I didn't see a lot of guidance on what should be in the interview request email. I kept it pretty short but formal enough. How long did it take them to get back to ya?

To Whom It May Concern;

I have just submitted my Navy JAG Corps application online and would like to schedule an interview at Regional Legal Service Office Mid-Atlantic.

Thank you,

Stubbazubba's sig

I submitted that on Wednesday evening, they got back to me by eod Thursday. Have you not heard back yet? What RLSO did you email?

Just FYI, It is Region Legal Service Office not Regional Legal Service Office

Ramrezyeh

Postby Ramrezyeh » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:08 am

Stubbazubba wrote:

To Whom It May Concern;

Thank you,

Stubbazubba's sig

Northeast- Newport, RI

JEB

Postby JEB » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:15 am

Stubbazubba wrote: The Navy now has a litigation development program of some kind, I can't remember the acronym (Military Justice something something), which I believe is unique of the other branches. I think the Navy will be a good place for trial work if you let them know. I don't know how it compares to the other branches, though.

MJLCT - Military Justice Litigation Career Track

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:46 pm

I think a big draw of JAG is the idea of early courtroom exposure. I thought I was going to love litigation, but it turned out not to agree with me. I had a lot of trouble letting go, and took things really personally. I found I was on edge and angry a lot. Still glad that I did it, but I kind of wish I had gone Army or AF as the breadth of practice is much larger.

Stubbazubba

Postby Stubbazubba » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:08 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:Just FYI, It is Region Legal Service Office not Regional Legal Service Office

Ha. That's not embarrassing at all...

usn26

Postby usn26 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:01 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:I think a big draw of JAG is the idea of early courtroom exposure. I thought I was going to love litigation, but it turned out not to agree with me. I had a lot of trouble letting go, and took things really personally. I found I was on edge and angry a lot. Still glad that I did it, but I kind of wish I had gone Army or AF as the breadth of practice is much larger.

Could you elaborate? I don't quite understand your point there at the end. Are you saying the Navy lacks alternatives to litigation?

Stubbazubba

Postby Stubbazubba » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:07 pm

Here's a question that my brief search of the last few pages didn't answer: When the app says to upload a "full length professional photo in business attire," what exactly does that mean? Specifically, is there any significance to the word professional besides the fact that you're in business attire? If I go to Walgreens and get a picture taken, is that sufficient?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:09 pm

I think it just means formal. So a serious shot of you in business attire not you slamming beers with your bros

Stubbazubba

Postby Stubbazubba » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:16 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:I think it just means formal. So a serious shot of you in business attire not you slamming beers with your bros

You know something like this probably happened, so now they have to specify that it must be a "professional" photo.

That makes sense, thanks.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:02 am

S. Goodman wrote:These are probably good questions for NavyJag1. But does anyone know the relative size of the 9 RLSO's we can be stationed at? One would think Norfolk would be a huge one with a lot of lawyers. But what about Jacksonville or Groton?

Also, that first two years of cycling through the four different legal capacities ... what is your work/life balance like during that time? What is the work schedule like for a Navy Jag generally?

Just two more questions, after that two year period are you eligible for orders to another base? Do people frequently just stay at their original base or ask to leave?

Finally, how is retention for Jags? Is it ultra competitive, or are there enough people who get out to free up enough space where you can stay if you want?

Thank you to whoever knows!

NavyJAG1 wrote:the big 3 are Norfolk, Jacksonville and San Diego. They are pretty similar in terms of size. Great Lakes is by far the smallest. Of the remaining 5 my guess is they are pretty similar in size. EURAFSWA has a lot of area to cover but the bases are smaller comparatively.

Thank you for responding. Do you have any insight in regard to my other questions?

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:23 am

1. Work life balance for FTJAs is good. Generally, you will not be working much outside of the standard 0730-1630 work day. In your trial rotations this could change - particularly if you want it to. No-one will tell you that you cannot stay late if a good trial is going on, but in most cases you will not be forced to. Schedule will vary a bit by office but most RLSOs have the standard 0730-1630 workday with command PT built into at least one day.

2. Generally you will PCS somewhere around the 2 year mark. It varies whether people PCS to a new location or just a new job at the same location. It is much easier to stay in Fleet Concentration area if that is something you are interested in.

3. Right now things are good at the O3-O4 level. The last few Career Status Boards have selected 100% of all officers that applied and the last O4 board selected 80% of all officers in zone for promotion. If you make O4, you can stay in to hit your 20. It gets more competitive for O5 and O6, just like any other community.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:25 am

usn26 wrote:
NavyJAG1 wrote:I think a big draw of JAG is the idea of early courtroom exposure. I thought I was going to love litigation, but it turned out not to agree with me. I had a lot of trouble letting go, and took things really personally. I found I was on edge and angry a lot. Still glad that I did it, but I kind of wish I had gone Army or AF as the breadth of practice is much larger.

Could you elaborate? I don't quite understand your point there at the end. Are you saying the Navy lacks alternatives to litigation?

The Navy does not lack alternatives to litigation, but our practice area is narrower. For instance we don't do any fiscal or contract law - it is all handled by civilians in the Office of General Counsel. So if you decide you don't want to litigate you may end up practicing law that somewhat limits exit options.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:43 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:
usn26 wrote:

The Navy does not lack alternatives to litigation, but our practice area is narrower. For instance we don't do any fiscal or contract law - it is all handled by civilians in the Office of General Counsel. So if you decide you don't want to litigate you may end up practicing law that somewhat limits exit options.

Understood. Thank you for the insight.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:36 am

NavyJAG1 wrote:1. Work life balance for FTJAs is good. Generally, you will not be working much outside of the standard 0730-1630 work day. In your trial rotations this could change - particularly if you want it to. No-one will tell you that you cannot stay late if a good trial is going on, but in most cases you will not be forced to. Schedule will vary a bit by office but most RLSOs have the standard 0730-1630 workday with command PT built into at least one day.

2. Generally you will PCS somewhere around the 2 year mark. It varies whether people PCS to a new location or just a new job at the same location. It is much easier to stay in Fleet Concentration area if that is something you are interested in.

3. Right now things are good at the O3-O4 level. The last few Career Status Boards have selected 100% of all officers that applied and the last O4 board selected 80% of all officers in zone for promotion. If you make O4, you can stay in to hit your 20. It gets more competitive for O5 and O6, just like any other community.

Thanks for the response NavyJag1!

shintopig

ODS Question

Postby shintopig » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:42 pm

Anyone get any updates or orders for the Oct. ODS class?

I'm thinking they should be going out around this or next week. Not sure though.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”